Do Female Cattle Have Horns? Sources Included

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether female cattle, or cows, have horns. While there is no specific source mentioned, one participant shares their personal experience of being born on a farm and confirms that cows do have horns. Another participant clarifies that this also applies to steers, or ex-males. It is then mentioned that most cattle, regardless of gender, are de-horned as calves for safety reasons. However, it is noted that certain breeds, such as Angus and Polled Hereford, are naturally hornless.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Do female cattle have horns?
I've been looking for an answer, but have not found.
Source would be great.

Biology news on Phys.org
I can't speak toward sources, but having been born on a farm I can tell you that cows more assuredly do have horns.

Danger said:
I can't speak toward sources, but having been born on a farm I can assure you that cows more assuredly do have horns.

Just to clarify, you're saying female cattle - cows - do indeed have horns as well as male cattle - bulls.

Right. And also steers (oxen), which are ex-males.

Yes, as Danger already pointed out, cows (the females) do have horns. Most cattle (males and females) are not seen with horns because they are de-horned as calves so they don't hurt the farmers/ranchers or each other.

Moonbear said:
Yes, as Danger already pointed out, cows (the females) do have horns. Most cattle (males and females) are not seen with horns because they are de-horned as calves so they don't hurt the farmers/ranchers or each other.

Actually, many breeds of cattle never grow horns, such as the Angus and Polled Hereford. "Polled" is the general term for these cattle. Thus the "Polled Hereford" is a different breed than a "Hereford"(which has horns).

1. What is the purpose of horns in female cattle?

In female cattle, horns are primarily used for defense and protection. They can also be used for social interactions and establishing dominance within a herd.

2. Do all female cattle have horns?

No, not all female cattle have horns. The presence of horns is determined by genetics and breeds. Some breeds, such as Angus and Hereford, are naturally polled (hornless).

3. Can female cattle be dehorned?

Yes, female cattle can be dehorned. This is a common practice in the beef industry to prevent injuries and make handling easier. Dehorning should be done by a trained professional and at a young age to minimize pain and stress for the animal.

4. Do female cattle with horns produce less milk?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that female cattle with horns produce less milk. Milk production is primarily influenced by genetics, nutrition, and management practices. Horns do not play a significant role in milk production.

5. Are there any advantages to having horns in female cattle?

Horns can provide some advantages to female cattle, such as protection from predators and establishing social hierarchies within a herd. However, in domesticated settings, the disadvantages of horns, such as potential injuries and difficulty handling, often outweigh the benefits.