Finding force given constant velocity and mass?

In summary, a man is lifting a 2.2 kg stone vertically with his hand at a constant velocity of 1.5 m/s. The force exerted by his hand on the stone is equal to the weight of the stone. This is because the sum of all the forces is equal to 0, as there is no acceleration. If there are any further questions, it is recommended to start a new thread.
BlueSkyy

Homework Statement

A man lifts a 2.2 kg stone vertically with his hand at a constant velocity of 1.5 m/s. What is the force exerted by his hand on the stone?

Homework Equations

F=ma (I would assume)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that (9.81 m/s^2)x(2.2 kg) = 21.582 N (the weight and the normal force) and that the force exerted by the hand must be greater than that to make the stone rise...But when there is a constant velocity, isn't the acceleration 0? How would that work with F=ma?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two forces acting on the stone, gravity and the force exerted by the hand. As you have correctly deduced, a=0. The F in F=ma is the sum of all of the forces. So what do you conclude about the sum of all the forces? The force exerted by the hand doesn't have to be greater than weight. It just has to be ____. Fill in the blank.

Would the force exerted by the hand be equal to the weight? That was what I thought at first, but then I got all confused thinking about net forces and normal forces and acceleration... :)

I have another question that is confusing me, should I post a new thread or use this one?

That would be correct. If it's a quick similar one you can do it here. If it's a whole new line of inquiry, I'd start another one.

1. How do you calculate force given constant velocity and mass?

The equation for calculating force is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In the case of constant velocity, the acceleration is 0, so the equation becomes F = m x 0, which simplifies to F = 0. This means that the force is 0 when an object has constant velocity.

2. What is the relationship between force, mass, and velocity?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and its acceleration. This means that as the mass of an object increases, the force required to move it at a constant velocity also increases. Similarly, for a given mass, the force required to increase the velocity of the object increases.

3. Can an object have constant velocity and still experience a force?

Yes, an object can have constant velocity and still experience a force. This happens when the force acting on the object is balanced by an equal and opposite force, resulting in a net force of 0. In this case, the object will continue to move at a constant velocity.

4. How does the direction of force affect an object's velocity?

The direction of force affects an object's velocity by changing its direction of motion. If the force is applied in the same direction as the object's velocity, it will increase the velocity. However, if the force is applied in the opposite direction, it will decrease the velocity. Additionally, if the force is applied at an angle to the object's velocity, it will cause the object to change direction and possibly speed as well.

5. What are some real-life examples of finding force given constant velocity and mass?

One example is a car moving at a constant speed on a flat road. The force required to maintain this constant velocity is equal to the force of friction acting against the car's tires. Another example is a satellite orbiting the Earth at a constant speed. The force required to keep the satellite in orbit is equal to the force of gravity pulling it towards the Earth.