Net force on ball from ground to top

In summary, the net force on the ball at all points is the force of gravity acting downwards, which causes the ball to first decelerate and come to rest at the top most point, and then accelerate downwards. This is in accordance with the equation F=ma.
mocking

Homework Statement

A ball is tossed up into the air. It reaches maximum height and comes back down.

What is the net force on the ball at the following situations:

a. The ball is moving upward as it is released.

b. The ball is at it's highest point. (when it comes to a stop i suppose)

c. The ball is moving downward.

Homework Equations

F = ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Force is up and decreasing.

b. Force is 0

c. Force is down and increasing.

Please let me know what you guys think. I have other problems also.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forum.a is correct before release. b is wrong. Think again.
What is making the ball slow down and then come back down ?

C is formally correct but in practical terms, not so.

Last edited:
At all points the net force on the ball is the force of gravity i.e. its weight acting downwards (ignoring air friction). Because of this force only, the ball first decelerates coming to rest at the top most point and then accelerates downwards.

Vijay just gave you the answer, so I'll see if I can help you understand it:

Let's suppose that at the very peak of it's flight, the force was equal to zero, as you initially thought. You also said the relevant equation is F=ma. Well, if F is zero, then the acceleration would also be zero. We already know that the velocity at that peak is zero. If the acceleration was also zero, then it'd just sort of stay there.

thank you for all your help! Mentz was wrong @ first but thank you for clearing up the rest.

1. What is the net force on a ball from the ground to the top?

The net force on a ball from the ground to the top is the total force acting on the ball from the moment it is released from the ground until it reaches the top. It is a combination of the gravitational force pulling the ball down and the force of the ball pushing against the ground as it bounces.

2. How is the net force on a ball affected by its mass?

The net force on a ball is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of the ball, the greater the net force will be.

3. What is the relationship between the net force and the acceleration of a ball?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. This means that as the net force on a ball increases, its acceleration will also increase, and vice versa.

4. Does the angle of release affect the net force on a ball?

Yes, the angle of release can affect the net force on a ball. If a ball is released at an angle other than straight up or down, the net force will be split into two components: a horizontal component and a vertical component. The horizontal component will cause the ball to move horizontally, while the vertical component will affect the ball's motion in the vertical direction.

5. What factors can change the net force on a ball from the ground to the top?

The net force on a ball from the ground to the top can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and velocity of the ball, the angle of release, and the air resistance. The surface the ball is bouncing on can also play a role in the net force, as a softer surface may absorb some of the force and decrease the ball's bounce.