Solved: Atmospheric Pressure Calculation Using Mercury Barometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to a problem involving a mercury barometer and an ideal gas trapped inside. The atmospheric pressure is calculated to be 745mmHg when the tube is inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. The solution involves using equations and approximations to take into account the compression of the ideal gas.
OhMyGod
[SOLVED] Pressure (Barometer)

Homework Statement

A mercury barometer of height 1.000m has some ideal gas trapped inside. When the tube is vertical, the height of the mercury column is 0.700m. When the tube is inclined at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal, the length of the mercury is 0.950m.
Assuming temperature is constant, the atmospheric pressure, in mm Hg, is ?
(a picture of the question is attached)

Answer: 745mmHg

Homework Equations

Pressure = hpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried working it along this line whereby Atmospheric Pressure = Pressure of the ideal gas(hpg) + Pressure of vertical length of Mercury .
Formed 2 simultaneous equations with the 2 diagrams as attached. But no luck in getting the answer so far. Please tell me whether the direction that I am going at is correct.

Thanks in advance :D

Attachments

• quest.GIF
    quest.GIF
    1.5 KB · Views: 856
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, looks right. You need to take into account that the ideal gas compresses, hence its pressure changes.

From what i have. It should be something like this.

Let A be the answer.
Equation 1(Diagram 1) : Atmospheric pressure = Pressure from Ideal Gas(hpg) + Pressure in the mercury lever.

A x Density of Mercury x Gravity = 0.3 x Density of Gas x Gravity + 0.7 x Density of Mercury x Gravity

For Diagram 2:(heres the part.. Whats the new density of the ideal gas , in this case, now that volume has changed?. and how do i find it?)

A x Density of Mercury x Gravity = (sin30 x 1 - sin30 x 0.950) x Density of Gas x Gravity + sin30 x 0.95 x Density of Mercury x Gravity

An Update
I seem to got the answer.
I let P be the initial Pressure that the ideal gas exert, and the volume that the ideal gas occupy in diagram 1 seem to be approximately 6 times more than that in diagram 2 ( (1-0.7)/(1-0.95) = 6). Using PV=CONSTANT, the pressure that ideal gas exert in diagram shld be 6 times bigger than that in Diagram 1)

So

A x Density of Mercury x Gravity = P + 0.7 x Density of Mercury x Gravity---- (1)
A x Density of Mercury x Gravity = 6P + sin30 x 0.95 x Density of Mercury x Gravity---(2)

Solving simultaneously, i got the answer. ! cheers.

Please let me know if there are other possible solutions that u can think of. Thanks !

Last edited:
Do they give the width of the barometer? Seems like we need that...

I got the answer already. as explained in my earlier edited message. Theres no need for the width value as when we calculate the volume ratios, they cancel out I guess.

Please comment on it .

Thanks a lot buddy!

OhMyGod said:
I got the answer already. as explained in my earlier edited message. Theres no need for the width value as when we calculate the volume ratios, they cancel out I guess.

Please comment on it .

Thanks a lot buddy!

Yeah, looks good... it's an approximation it seems (valid for very small width) but that seems to be the only way to answer the question.

you approximated the trapezoidal area of the gas in the second picture as a rectangular area... which is what they wanted I think.

Last edited:
Yeap. Thanks for the enlightenment. It was your reply that gave me the idea of how to do it.

Code:
You need to take into account that the ideal gas compresses, hence its pressure changes.

Thanks buddy . This thread can be closed now.

1. What is a barometer and how does it measure pressure?

A barometer is a scientific instrument used to measure air pressure. It works by using a long glass tube filled with mercury or other liquid, with one end sealed and the other open. The open end is placed in a container of mercury, and as the air pressure changes, it pushes the mercury up or down the tube, indicating the pressure level.

2. What units are used to measure pressure on a barometer?

Pressure is typically measured in units of millibars (mb) or inches of mercury (inHg) on a barometer. However, other units such as kilopascals (kPa) or atmospheres (atm) may also be used.

3. How does air pressure affect the weather?

Air pressure is a key factor in determining weather patterns. High pressure systems are associated with clear, sunny weather, while low pressure systems often bring clouds and precipitation. Changes in air pressure can also indicate shifts in wind direction and speed.

4. Can a barometer be used to predict the weather?

Yes, a barometer can be used to make short-term weather predictions. A rapid decrease in air pressure typically indicates an approaching storm, while a steady rise in pressure suggests fair weather. However, other factors such as wind direction and humidity must also be considered.

5. How is a barometer calibrated or adjusted?

A barometer can be calibrated by comparing its readings to a known standard, such as a calibrated laboratory instrument or a local weather station. If the barometer is not reading accurately, it can be adjusted by adjusting the position of the mercury or by using a screw or knob to change the pressure reading. Regular calibration is important to ensure accurate measurements.