The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #2,451
Nicéphore Niépce?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,452
Mk said:
Nicéphore Niépce?
Before him, even.

• #2,453
Johann Zahn?

Last edited:
  • #2,454
Mk said:
Johann Zahn?
Nein!

• #2,455
No hablamos Español. :biggrin:

• #2,456
Mk said:
No hablamos Español. :biggrin:
Nein! Es: "No se habla Español."

• #2,457
"No se habla Español."
That probably would have been better fitting, but I was feeling especially <insert word here> and I decided to go for "We do not speak spanish." Was I right?

• #2,458
Mk said:
That probably would have been better fitting, but I was feeling especially <insert word here> and I decided to go for "We do not speak spanish." Was I right?
"No hablamos Espanol" doesn't mean "We don't speak Spanish." It means: "We are not speaking Spanish." The verb "to speak" is reflexive in that language: se hablar: to be spoken. When a Spanish speaker want to convey the information they speak Spanish it is done by saying: "Spanish is spoken" or "Se habla Espanol". The opposite, "I/we don't speak Spanish" is "No se habla Espanol."

• #2,459
The verb "to speak" is reflexive in that language: se hablar: to be spoken. When a Spanish speaker want to convey the information they speak Spanish it is done by saying: "Spanish is spoken" or "Se habla Espanol". The opposite, "I/we don't speak Spanish" is "No se habla Espanol."
Mmmm thank you/.

You sound like you could be a Spanish teacher.

• #2,460
Jeez this is hard.

• #2,461
I give up, I don't know!

• #2,462
1946: Creation of the ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer) by P. Eckert and J Mauchly.The programming of this calculator is carried out while recablant between them, its various elements. Composed of 19000 tubes, it weighs 30 tons, occupies a surface of 72 m2 and consumes 140 kilowatts. Clock: 100 Khz. Speed: approximately 330 multiplications a second :

http://www.library.upenn.edu/exhibits/rbm/mauchly/jwm0-1.html

• #2,463
Anybody get deja vu?

• #2,464
wolram said:
It was 10 feet tall, occupied 1,000 square feet of floor- space, weighed in at approximately 30 tons, and used more than 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. The final machine required 150 kilowatts of power, which was enough to light a small town.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
what was it?
For all of that, it didn't have the horsepower of a programable hand calulator today.:bugeye:

• #2,465
As claimed, it was a cross between that of Catherine Hepburn, Truman Capote, and Hal, the computer from the movie, 2001. What was it?

• #2,466
Ivan Seeking said:
As claimed, it was a cross between that of Catherine Hepburn, Truman Capote, and Hal, the computer from the movie, 2001. What was it?

"Hello Clarice."

• #2,467
Correct! It was the voice of Hannibal Lecter.

Personally, I think he should have thrown in a little Tom Snyder.

• #2,468
This natural object gave someone the idea for parallel processing.

• #2,469
zoobyshoe said:
This natural object gave someone the idea for parallel processing.
The brain?

<h2>1. What was the purpose of the world's largest computer in 1951?</h2><p>The purpose of the world's largest computer in 1951, known as the UNIVAC I, was to process and store large amounts of data for the US Census Bureau. It was also used for other tasks such as weather prediction and scientific calculations.</p><h2>2. How big was the world's largest computer in 1951?</h2><p>The UNIVAC I was approximately 8 feet tall, 7 feet wide, and 14 feet long. It weighed around 13,000 pounds and required its own dedicated room for operation.</p><h2>3. Who invented the world's largest computer in 1951?</h2><p>The UNIVAC I was developed by J. Presper Eckert and John Mauchly, who were also the inventors of the ENIAC, the first general-purpose electronic digital computer.</p><h2>4. How did the world's largest computer in 1951 compare to modern computers?</h2><p>The UNIVAC I had a processing speed of 1,905 instructions per second and could store up to 1,000 words of data. In comparison, modern computers can process millions of instructions per second and have storage capacities in the terabytes.</p><h2>5. Where is the world's largest computer in 1951 now?</h2><p>The original UNIVAC I is currently on display at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington D.C. However, there were multiple UNIVAC I computers built and some can still be found in museums or private collections around the world.</p>

1. What was the purpose of the world's largest computer in 1951?

The purpose of the world's largest computer in 1951, known as the UNIVAC I, was to process and store large amounts of data for the US Census Bureau. It was also used for other tasks such as weather prediction and scientific calculations.

2. How big was the world's largest computer in 1951?

The UNIVAC I was approximately 8 feet tall, 7 feet wide, and 14 feet long. It weighed around 13,000 pounds and required its own dedicated room for operation.

3. Who invented the world's largest computer in 1951?

The UNIVAC I was developed by J. Presper Eckert and John Mauchly, who were also the inventors of the ENIAC, the first general-purpose electronic digital computer.

4. How did the world's largest computer in 1951 compare to modern computers?

The UNIVAC I had a processing speed of 1,905 instructions per second and could store up to 1,000 words of data. In comparison, modern computers can process millions of instructions per second and have storage capacities in the terabytes.

5. Where is the world's largest computer in 1951 now?

The original UNIVAC I is currently on display at the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington D.C. However, there were multiple UNIVAC I computers built and some can still be found in museums or private collections around the world.