Reviewing for exam-how would i find the displacement of two vectors?

In summary, to find the displacement when given the length of two vectors, you would need to know the angle as well. Without that information, it is impossible to find the direction. When reviewing for an exam, if given a problem with no solutions, you can use the formulas rx=rcos(theta) and ry=rsin(theta) to find the x and y components. However, for a more complex problem like a plane changing directions, more information is needed to find the displacement.
pebbles
what if I'm given the length of two vectors and asked to find displacement? how would i find the direction?

i'm reviewing for an exam and looking over some example problems in a text i have. there are no solutions. would i find the x and y components? rx=rcos(theta) and ry=rsin(theta)?

Physics news on Phys.org
pebbles said:
what if I'm given the length of two vectors and asked to find displacement? how would i find the direction?
You can't.
i'm reviewing for an exam and looking over some example problems in a text i have. there are no solutions. would i find the x and y components? rx=rcos(theta) and ry=rsin(theta)?
Were you given the angle as well as the length?

here's the problem:

a plane goes 29 meters north, and then changes direction to go east at 35 degrees for 50 meters.

bumping up my thread...

1. How do I calculate the displacement of two vectors?

To find the displacement of two vectors, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the magnitude of each vector and add them together. Then, take the square root of the sum to get the overall displacement.

2. What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement refers to the straight line distance between the starting and ending points of a vector's motion. Distance, on the other hand, is the total length of the path traveled by the vector.

3. Can the displacement of two vectors be negative?

Yes, the displacement of two vectors can be negative if they are moving in opposite directions. In this case, you would need to account for the direction of the vectors when calculating the displacement.

4. Is it possible for the displacement of two vectors to be greater than the sum of their magnitudes?

No, the displacement of two vectors can never be greater than the sum of their magnitudes. This is because the Pythagorean theorem will always give a result that is equal to or less than the sum of the squares of the magnitudes.

5. What units are used to measure displacement?

Displacement is typically measured in units of length, such as meters (m) or centimeters (cm). However, the specific unit used may vary depending on the context of the problem.