Combinging the genetic material of 2 like gametes?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of manipulating genetic material from different animals in order to produce offspring with specific desired characteristics. The question is raised whether it is possible to take genetic material from one female animal and implant it into another, and if there are any differences between the x chromosomes of sperm and eggs. The conversation also touches on the concept of triploidy and its role in producing offspring with multiple sets of genetic material.
wasteofo2
Let's say one was breeding a type of animal, and they wanted all males to have certain characteristics, and all females to have a different set of characteristics. If said breeder had 2 female animals with the characteristics it wanted, could the breeder take the genetic material from the unfertilized ovum of female A and implant it in an ovum of female B, and then artificially implant the fertilized ovum into the uterus of one of the females?

I know this sounds weird, but is it possible, is there anything which would stop the non sex chromosomes from conjoining normally to make a diploid zygote, or anything different between the x chromosome of an ovum and the x chromosome of a sperm?

Simmilarly, could one take the genetic material out of an ovum and implant the genetic material of one X sperm and one Y sperm?

Thanks for entertaining my warped mind's curiosity,
Jacob

Biology news on Phys.org
I once played with this same idea in a http://www.physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=171" article..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I actually understood most everything in that article! However, I don't see how a mouse could be conceived from 3 sets of genetic material, were its somatic cells triploid?

1. What is the purpose of combining the genetic material of two like gametes?

The purpose of combining the genetic material of two like gametes is to create a new organism with a unique combination of genetic traits. This process, known as sexual reproduction, allows for genetic diversity and increases the chances of survival for a species.

2. How is the genetic material of two like gametes combined?

The genetic material of two like gametes is combined through the process of fertilization. This occurs when the male gamete, or sperm, fuses with the female gamete, or egg, resulting in a single cell called a zygote. The zygote contains genetic material from both gametes and will develop into a new organism.

3. What are the potential benefits of combining the genetic material of two like gametes?

Combining the genetic material of two like gametes can result in increased genetic diversity, which can lead to improved traits and a higher chance of survival for a species. It also allows for the transfer of beneficial traits, such as disease resistance, from one parent to the offspring.

4. Are there any risks associated with combining the genetic material of two like gametes?

There are potential risks associated with combining the genetic material of two like gametes, such as the transfer of harmful genetic traits or an increased risk of genetic disorders. However, natural selection and genetic diversity help to mitigate these risks and ensure the survival of the fittest organisms.

5. Can the genetic material of two like gametes be artificially combined?

Yes, the genetic material of two like gametes can be artificially combined through techniques such as in vitro fertilization (IVF) and genetic engineering. These methods have been used in agriculture and medicine to produce desired traits or treat genetic disorders. However, there are ethical considerations and potential risks associated with these artificial methods.