Have you seen this new recursive series identity?

In summary, a new identity has been derived from a thread discussing recursive series equality. The identity states that for a sequence defined by S_{0} = 0, S_{1} = 1, and S_{n} = b*S_{n-1} - S_{n-2}, the expression S_{n}*(S_{n+b} -S_{b-2}) = (S_{n+1}+1)*(S_{n+b-1} -S_{b-1}) holds true. This identity can also be generalized to include any integer values for S_{0} and S_{1}. However, it only works for b=3 if S_{0} does
ramsey2879
I derived the following identity after considering my thread "Recursive series equality" but the result is so clean and neat that I post it as a new topic.

Let [tex]S_{0} = 0 \quad S_{1} = 1 \quad S_{n} = b*S_{n-1} - S_{n-2}[/tex]

Then [tex]S_{n}*(S_{n+b} -S_{b-2}) = (S_{n+1}+1)*(S_{n+b-1} -S_{b-1})[/tex]

Has anyone seen this before?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ramsey, not to rain on your party, but it *might* turn out to be a little of a tautology. Since 0=S0 and 1=S1, it can be rewritten as

[tex](S_{n} + S_0)*(S_{n+b} -S_{b-2}) = (S_{n+1}+S_1)*(S_{n+b-1} -S_{b-1})[/tex]

which just means that the LHS formula has the same value when the indexes displace. Now, I don't know if this is common or not, the fact of having this kind of (quadratic) invariants along the sequence.

Edit: Doh, this note is probably rubbish, since two terms are fixed while the other two vary with n. It was a hasty comment.

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:
I derived the following identity after considering my thread "Recursive series equality" but the result is so clean and neat that I post it as a new topic.

Now I can generalize this identity such that [tex]S_{0}[/tex] and [tex]S_{1}[/tex] can each be any integer!

[tex](S_{n} - S_{0})*(S_{n+b} - S_{b-2}) = (S_{n+1} - S_{0} + 1)*(S_{n+b-1}-S_{b-1})[/tex]

Edit. sorry for misinformation, but this works only for b=3 if [tex]S_{0} <> 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
Allow me some more deranging. Note that your last equation comes out by replacing each term of the sequence, say S_i, by a constant displacement, S_i + c. (In your case this constant is minus S0, thus bringing the generic sequence back to a "canonical" sequence where S0=0.). The places in the equation where two terms are subtracting cancel the constant out, so it only shows up where terms are by themselves.

I can but wonder what happens to recurrence sequences when a constant is added to each term. Your last edit suggests that for b=3 (and for -1 as the coefficient of S_n-2) the original equation in Post#1 is invariant to addition of a constant.

Deranging end. : )

Dodo said:
Allow me some more deranging. Note that your last equation comes out by replacing each term of the sequence, say S_i, by a constant displacement, S_i + c. (In your case this constant is minus S0, thus bringing the generic sequence back to a "canonical" sequence where S0=0.). The places in the equation where two terms are subtracting cancel the constant out, so it only shows up where terms are by themselves.

I can but wonder what happens to recurrence sequences when a constant is added to each term. Your last edit suggests that for b=3 (and for -1 as the coefficient of S_n-2) the original equation in Post#1 is invariant to addition of a constant.

Deranging end. : )

I don't understand what you are saying

Define a new sequence Rn by the rule: Rn = Sn + c, where c is a constant.

Then R0 = S0 + c, R1 = S1 + c, and the new recurrence rule for R is given by
Rn = Sn + c = b . Sn-1 - Sn-2 + c = b(Rn-1 - c) - (Rn-2 - c) + c
Rn = b . Rn-1 - Rn-2 - c(b - 2)​

which, when b=2, becomes the same rule that defines Sn (why did you say b=3?).

So you can displace by any constant a sequence defined by the rule 2 . Xn-1 - Xn-2, and it will be transformed in another sequence with the same rule.

If c = -S0, R0 becomes 0, and you can apply your first identity (on post#1) to R:

Rn (Rn+b - Rb-2) = (Rn+1 + 1)(Rn+b-1 - Rb-1)​

and substituting Rn = Sn + c = Sn - S0, you get the last identity (on post #3).

But you will obtain a similar effect for any constant c, not only for c = -S0 (as long as b=2). (Edit: And as long as R1 is not arbitrary, but displaced by the same constant as the others.)

Last edited:
Dodo said:
Define a new sequence Rn by the rule: Rn = Sn + c, where c is a constant.

Then R0 = S0 + c, R1 = S1 + c, and the new recurrence rule for R is given by
Rn = Sn + c = b . Sn-1 - Sn-2 + c = b(Rn-1 - c) - (Rn-2 - c) + c
Rn = b . Rn-1 - Rn-2 - c(b - 2)​

which, when b=2, becomes the same rule that defines Sn (why did you say b=3?).

So you can displace by any constant a sequence defined by the rule 2 . Xn-1 - Xn-2, and it will be transformed in another sequence with the same rule.

If c = -S0, R0 becomes 0, and you can apply your first identity (on post#1) to R:

Rn (Rn+b - Rb-2) = (Rn+1 + 1)(Rn+b-1 - Rb-1)​

and substituting Rn = Sn + c = Sn - S0, you get the last identity (on post #3).

But you will obtain a similar effect for any constant c, not only for c = -S0 (as long as b=2). (Edit: And as long as R1 is not arbitrary, but displaced by the same constant as the others.)
Fact is that my identity in the third post doesn't work for b = 2 so you need to consider this further.

ramsey2879 said:
Now I can generalize this identity such that [tex]S_{0}[/tex] and [tex]S_{1}[/tex] can each be any integer!

[tex](S_{n} - S_{0})*(S_{n+a} - S_{a-2}) = (S_{n+1} - S_{0} + 1)*(S_{n+a-1}-S_{a-1})[/tex]

Edit. sorry for misinformation, but this works only for b=3 if [tex]S_{0} <> 0 [/tex]

My new identity in fact only works when [tex]S_{1} = (b-1)*S_{0} +1[/tex] and it works for all b. Dodo noted that you can add or subtract a constant to the series when b = 2 but if [tex] S_1 <> S_0 + 1[/tex] it doesn't work for b = 2 which I noted in the last post.

Last edited:
It is a neat equation, anyway. How come the b coefficient does not appear multiplying anything, but as an index displacement? Funny.

It seems to stem from the conjectures

[tex]
\begin{align*}
S_{n-1} \ S_{b-1} \ +\ S_{n+b-1} &= S_n \ S_b \\
S_{n-1} \ S_{n+b-1} \ +\ S_{b-1} &= S_n \ S_{n+b-2}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Last edited:
ramsey2879 said:

Edit
should have been
Then [tex]S_{n}*(S_{n+a} -S_{a-2}) = (S_{n+1}+1)*(S_{n+a-1} -S_{a-1})[/tex]

Dodo said:
It is a neat equation, anyway. How come the b coefficient does not appear multiplying anything, but as an index displacement? Funny.

It seems to stem from the conjectures

[tex]
\begin{align*}
S_{n-1} \ S_{b-1} \ +\ S_{n+b-1} &= S_n \ S_b \\
S_{n-1} \ S_{n+b-1} \ +\ S_{b-1} &= S_n \ S_{n+b-2}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Actually I derived a proof for the case of S(0) = 0 based upon your proof in the previous thread. Now that I have my new conjecture for S(0) not equal to 0, I will work on a proof for the general case of S(1) = bS(0) +1. Your conjectures seem to be off base but I excuse that in view of the confusion I created with the dual use of the b variable.
If you start with series [tex]S[/tex] with for d =0 as in my previous thread and consider what happens when you subtract S(n) from each term of the series you get a new series with [tex]d = (b-2)*S(n)[/tex] but the index n becomes the zero index in the equations of my last post. Play with the equation that you proved in the last thread and you get something like S(a) - bS(a-1) which is the same as S(a-2).

I have also found a remarkable identity:

[tex] a+6 = 8[/tex], but it only works when a=2 !

:D:D:D

Gib Z said:

But I can prove your identity, can you prove mine?

Gib Z said:

OK this identity works for all S(0), S(1) and b:

[tex](S_{n} - S_{0})*(S_{n+a} - S_{a-2}) = (S_{n+1} + S_{1} -bS_{0})*(S_{n+a-1} - S_{a-1})[/tex]

ramsey2879 said:
OK this identity works for all S(0), S(1) and b:

[tex](S_{n} - S_{0})*(S_{n+a} - S_{a-2}) = (S_{n+1} + S_{1} -bS_{0})*(S_{n+a-1} - S_{a-1})[/tex]

Changing the index (other than n and a) by adding 1 and noting that [tex]S_{2} - bS_{1} = -S_{0} [/tex] we have the following rewrite of the identity

[tex](S_{n} -S_{1}) \cdot (S_{n+a} - S{a-1}) = (S_{n+1} - S_{0}) \cdot (S_{n+a-1} - S_{a})[/tex]

Now since the the bijections of recursive series [tex]R_{n} = bR_{n-1} + R_{n-2}[/tex] (one bijection S1 consists of every even term and the other bijection S2 consists of every odd term) each have the recursive formula [tex]S_{n} = (b^2+2)S_{n-1} - S_{n-1}[/tex] we have the following two recursive formulas

[tex](R_{2n} - R_{2}) \cdot (R_{2n+2a} -R_{2a-2}) = (R_{2n+2} - R_{0}) \cdot (R_{2n+2a -2) - R_{2a}) [/tex]

[tex](R_{2n+1} - R_{3}) \cdot (R_{2n+1 +2a} - R_{2a-1}) = (R_{2n+3} - R_{1}) \cdot (R_{2n+2a-1} -R_{2a+1})[/tex]

This has some implications for Fibonacci type series and possibly situations where
[tex] a^{2} + b^{2} = c^{2}[/tex]

1. What is a recursive series identity?

A recursive series identity is a mathematical formula that defines a sequence of numbers, where each term is dependent on one or more previous terms in the sequence. This creates a recursive pattern that can be used to generate the entire sequence.

2. How is a recursive series identity different from a regular series?

A regular series is a sequence of numbers that follows a specific pattern or rule, such as adding a constant number to each term. In contrast, a recursive series identity uses previous terms in the sequence to determine the next term, making it a more complex and dynamic pattern.

3. What are some real-world applications of recursive series identities?

Recursive series identities have many practical applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and physics. They can be used to model complex systems, such as population growth, stock prices, and particle interactions, and make predictions based on the recursive pattern.

4. Can a recursive series identity have more than one solution?

Yes, a recursive series identity can have multiple solutions depending on the initial conditions and the specific formula used. This allows for different patterns and sequences to be generated from the same recursive series identity.

5. How are recursive series identities used in algorithm design?

Recursive series identities are often used in algorithm design to create efficient and elegant solutions to problems. By defining a recursive pattern, algorithms can be designed to recursively solve a problem, breaking it down into smaller and simpler subproblems until a solution is reached.