Question about the Fresnel Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of \int_0^{\infty} e^{i z^2} and the central step of evaluating the integral around the contour line z = R e^{i \theta}. The discussion also touches on the absolute value of e^{i \theta} and how it relates to convergence, as well as the effectiveness of the factor dz in the final solution. The main question focuses on why |(cos(R^2 cos(2 \theta)) + i sin(R^2 cos(2 \theta)))| = 1 while the absolute value of e^{i R^2 e^{i 2 \theta}} is not equal to 1. The explanation is that \Im(R
Simfish
Gold Member
post edited, see below (latex doesn't seem to edit properly on edited pages0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,
So I want to evaluate [tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{i z^2}[/tex]. One of the central steps is to evaluate the integral around the contour line [tex]z = R e^{i \theta}[/tex]. So I substitute in [tex]z = R e^{i \theta}[/tex] so that I get [tex]e^{i R^2 e^{i 2 \theta}} = e^{i R^2 cos(2 \theta) - R^2 sin(2 \theta)}. [/tex]. I have to show convergence to 0. This equals [tex]e^{i R^2 cos(2 \theta)} e^{- R^2 sin(2 \theta)} = (cos(R^2 cos(2 \theta)) + i sin(R^2 cos(2 \theta))) e^{- R^2 sin(2 \theta)}[/tex]. So my sources say that the absolute value of this becomes [tex] e^{ - R^2 sin(2 \theta)},[/tex] implying that [tex]|(cos(R^2 cos(2 \theta)) + i sin(R^2 cos(2 \theta)))| = 1[/tex] throughout the entire interval. Of course, the absolute value of [tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex] is 1 as long as the number is of this form. But then, why can't the absolute value of [tex]e^{i R^2 e^{i 2 \theta}}[/tex] also be 1 throughout the range? What properties make a the absolute value of a number of the form [tex]e^{i \theta}[/tex] NOT converge to 1 for ANY value of [tex]\theta[/tex]?

====

Another question: Since I have to evaluate [tex]\int_0^{\infty} e^{i z^2} dz[/tex], where [tex]dz = i e^{i \theta} d \theta[/tex] - I have to multiply this equation by that factor. I probably have to do this for the final solution. But since this is bounded by i, and my only objective is to show that this integral converges to 0, this factor of dz should be effectively negligible, right?

==
MAIN QUESTION:
Why does [tex]|(cos(R^2 cos(2 \theta)) + i sin(R^2 cos(2 \theta)))| = 1[/tex] UNIFORMLY WHEN

the absolute value of [tex]e^{i R^2 e^{i 2 \theta}} [/tex] is NOT equal to 1?
==

Well, because [itex]\Im(R^2e^{i2\theta})\neq 0[/itex], while [itex]\Im(R^2\cos(2\theta))=0[/itex].

(If [itex]z\in \mathbb{C}[/itex], then [itex]|e^{iz}|=1[/itex] if and only if [itex]\Im(z)=0[/itex])

P.S. Edited [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] works great, you only have to hit the refresh button so images get corrected.

Last edited:

1. What is the Fresnel Integral?

The Fresnel Integral is a mathematical function that is used to calculate the diffraction pattern of light waves passing through a slit or aperture. It was first introduced by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the 19th century.

2. How is the Fresnel Integral used in science?

The Fresnel Integral is used in various fields of science, such as optics, acoustics, and electromagnetism. It is particularly useful in understanding the behavior of light and other waves as they pass through narrow openings or obstacles.

3. What is the difference between the Fresnel Integral and the Fresnel Diffraction?

The Fresnel Integral is a mathematical function that describes the diffraction pattern of light, whereas Fresnel Diffraction is the phenomenon of light waves bending and spreading out as they pass through a small aperture or around an object. The Fresnel Integral is used to calculate the Fresnel Diffraction pattern.

4. How is the Fresnel Integral calculated?

The Fresnel Integral is a complex function that is typically calculated using numerical methods or computer algorithms. It involves integrating the square of the sine function over a specific range of values. It can also be approximated using simpler functions, such as the Gaussian function.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Fresnel Integral?

The Fresnel Integral has many practical applications, such as in the design of optical systems, the study of diffraction patterns in radio waves and sound waves, and the development of new imaging techniques in medical technology. It is also used in the analysis of wave behavior in the ocean and atmosphere, as well as in the construction of structures to minimize the effects of wave interference.