Finding the Laplace Transform for f(t)=2(1-u(t-1))+t(u(t-1))

In summary: C.8. Simplifying this expression, we get:L[f(t)] = (2/s) - (2e^-s)/s + (te^-st)/s^2 + (e^-s)/s^3 + C.In summary, the Laplace transform of f(t) is (2/s) - (2e^-s)/s + (te^-st)/s^2 + (e^-s)/s^3 + C. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Best of luck with your studies!
jwang34

Homework Statement

Given f(t)= 2 if 0<=t<1, and t if t>=1 I need to find the laplace transform.

Homework Equations

Using the second shifting theorem:
f(t)= 2(1-u(t-1))+t(u(t-1)), which is the heaviside function.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first term, I understand. It is 2-2u(t-1) which I got the transform to be:
(2/s)-(2/s)(e^-s). The second term I'm a little fuzzy. I think I need to shift the t, so I guess I would have (t-1)u(t-1). But I'm not sure if this is right. So any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The Laplace transform of the given function can be found using the definition of the Laplace transform and the properties of the Heaviside function. Let's break it down step by step:

1. First, we can rewrite the function as f(t) = 2(1-u(t-1)) + t(u(t-1)). This can be done by separating the function into two parts: one for t < 1 and one for t >= 1. In the first part, t is always less than 1, so we can replace it with the constant 2. In the second part, t is always greater than or equal to 1, so we can leave it as is.

2. Now, using the definition of the Laplace transform, we can write:
L[f(t)] = ∫f(t)e^-st dt = ∫[2(1-u(t-1)) + t(u(t-1))]e^-st dt.

3. We can use the linearity property of the Laplace transform to split this into two separate integrals:
L[f(t)] = 2∫(1-u(t-1))e^-st dt + ∫tu(t-1)e^-st dt.

4. Now, using the property of the Laplace transform that states L[u(t-a)f(t-a)] = e^-asF(s), where F(s) is the Laplace transform of f(t), we can rewrite the first integral as:
L[f(t)] = 2∫e^-st dt - 2∫u(t-1)e^-st dt + ∫tu(t-1)e^-st dt.

5. The first integral is a standard integral that evaluates to 1/s. The second integral can be rewritten as u(t)e^-st, which evaluates to e^-st for t >= 1 and 0 for t < 1. The third integral can be written as u(t-1)te^-st, which evaluates to te^-st for t >= 1 and 0 for t < 1.

6. Putting it all together, we get:
L[f(t)] = 2/s - 2e^-s/s + 1/s ∫te^-st dt.

7. The final integral can be evaluated using integration by parts, which gives us:
L[f(t)] = 2/s - 2e

1. What is the Laplace Transform?

The Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and science to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

2. How do you find the Laplace Transform of a function?

To find the Laplace Transform, you first need to determine the region of convergence (ROC) of the function. Then, you can use the Laplace Transform definition or a table of Laplace Transform pairs to evaluate the integral of the function.

3. What is the function f(t)=2(1-u(t-1))+t(u(t-1))?

This function is a piecewise function that is equal to 2 for t<1 and equal to t for t≥1. The unit step function u(t-1) is used to define the two different parts of the function.

4. How do you handle piecewise functions when finding the Laplace Transform?

When dealing with piecewise functions, you need to separate the function into its different parts and find the Laplace Transform for each part separately. Then, you can use the linearity property of the Laplace Transform to combine the results.

5. What is the Laplace Transform of f(t)=2(1-u(t-1))+t(u(t-1))?

The Laplace Transform of this function is F(s)=2/s + 1/(s^2) + e^(-s)/s^2, where s is the complex frequency and e^(-s) is the exponential term that accounts for the time shift of the function.