Conform/help with calc solution

• Thread starter allenmatt59
  • Start date
In summary, we discussed the formula for gravitational force between two masses, and how it applies to a solid hemisphere and a cylindrical shell in this problem. We also briefly discussed the approach for solving for the force in the second part of the problem.
allenmatt59

Homework Statement

Newton’s law of gravitation states that the force between two masses m1
and m2 at a distance r apart is F = Gm1m2/r2 .
(a) Find the magnitude of the gravitational force exerted by a solid hemisphere
of radius a and constant density  on a point mass located at
the center of the base of the hemisphere.
(b) A particle of mass m is placed at the center of one base of a circular
cylindrical shell of inner radius r1, outer radius r2, height h, and
constant density . Find the force of gravitational attraction exerted
by the cylinder on the particle.

The Attempt at a Solution

because the only force which would act on the bottom center of the hemisphere is pointed straight down. the force would be represented in a negative direction (-x/||x||). therefore f(x)=-mMGx/||x3||. ||x||=sqrt(x2+y2+z2).
because the force is coming only from the z direction F(x,y,z)=-mMGz/((z2)to the 3/2power)
is there someone to conform that.
and please lead me to the b part

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post. I can confirm that your formula for the gravitational force exerted by a solid hemisphere is correct. The negative sign indicates that the force is attractive, pulling the point mass towards the center of the hemisphere.

For the second part, we can use a similar approach. The force of gravitational attraction between the particle and the cylindrical shell will be in the negative z direction, since the force is pulling the particle towards the center of the cylinder. The formula for this force would be F(x,y,z)=-mMGz/((z2)to the 3/2power).

To solve for the magnitude of the force, we can use the formula for the volume of a cylinder (V=πr2h), along with the given densities, to find the masses of the cylinder and the particle. Then, we can plug these values into the above formula to calculate the force of gravitational attraction between the two objects.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How can I conform my solution to match the calculated results?

To conform a solution, you will need to compare the calculated results with your initial assumptions and make any necessary adjustments. This may involve changing the parameters or variables in your equation or model to better align with the calculated data. It is important to carefully review and analyze your data to ensure the most accurate and precise solution.

2. What does it mean to "help" with a calc solution?

Helping with a calc solution typically refers to providing assistance or support in solving a mathematical problem or equation. This can involve offering guidance or advice on the steps to take, providing resources or tools, or collaborating with others to find a solution.

3. How do I know if my solution is accurate?

To determine the accuracy of your solution, you will need to compare it with the calculated results and verify that they match. This can be done by checking your calculations and rechecking your assumptions and variables. If your solution closely aligns with the calculated data, it is likely accurate.

4. What if my solution does not match the calculated results?

If your solution does not match the calculated results, it is important to review your assumptions, equations, and data to identify any errors or discrepancies. You may also want to seek help from a mentor or colleague to review your work and provide feedback. Making adjustments and rechecking your solution can help to improve accuracy.

5. Can I get help with my calc solution from others?

Yes, it is often beneficial to seek help and collaborate with others when working on a calc solution. This can include discussing the problem with peers, seeking guidance from a mentor or instructor, or utilizing online resources and forums. Collaborating with others can provide new perspectives and insights, leading to a more accurate and effective solution.