Excess electrons or protons on drop.

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the number of excess electrons or protons on a suspended water drop in a uniform electric field. The calculated value is 4.1071 x 10^-12 C for the charge and 2.754 x 10^-31 for the number of drops, but there may be some confusion about the correct formula to use.
rcmango

Homework Statement

A small drop of water is suspended motionless in air by a uniform electric field that is directed upward and has a magnitude of 8450 N/C. The mass of the water drop is 3.80 10-9 kg.

(b) How many excess electrons or protons reside on the drop?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but i get about 4.1071 x 10^-12 C

and for the drops i get 2.754 x 10-31

not sure why its wrong?

i used this for formula, see image: http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6734/80350082pv3.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're asking here really. I presume the image is the answer to the question and you're wondering why yours is different. From the 2.754x10-31 it appears you've multiplied the charge on the drop by that on a proton.

well the image has different values to be calculated, and the image was just another example to show what was going on,

the problem i calculated was different, but it should still be calculated the same.

and it should be: 2.75e+07 but not sure why?

i'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but i get about 4.1071 x 10^-12 C

and for the drops i get 2.754 x 10-31

not sure why its wrong
I'm getting slightly different numbers than you, but are you sure you're dividing by the electron charge and not multiplying? That's the only way I can see you getting an answer with that magnitude.

1. What are excess electrons or protons on a drop?

Excess electrons or protons on a drop is a phenomenon in which a droplet of liquid carries an extra negative or positive charge due to an imbalance of electrons or protons on its surface.

2. What causes excess electrons or protons on a drop?

Excess electrons or protons on a drop can be caused by several factors, such as friction, contact with charged objects, or exposure to radiation.

3. How do excess electrons or protons affect the behavior of a drop?

The excess charge on a drop can affect its behavior by causing it to repel or attract other charged objects, or by changing the droplet's shape and surface tension.

4. Can excess electrons or protons on a drop be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, excess electrons or protons on a drop can be manipulated or controlled by using external electric fields or by physically touching the droplet with a charged object.

5. What applications do excess electrons or protons on a drop have?

Excess electrons or protons on a drop have various applications in fields such as microfluidics, nanotechnology, and surface science, where precise control over droplet behavior and charge is necessary.