Lorentz contraction of box filled with gas

In summary, when we accelerate a box filled with gas, we have to expend energy which goes into the kinetic energy of the box. This applies in both Newtonian mechanics and relativity. However, in relativity, there is an additional consideration of whether extra energy is required due to the contraction of the box and increase in pressure. Ultimately, the pressure inside the box does not increase because of the effects of length contraction and time dilation. The box itself cannot tell if it is moving or not, and measuring the pressure in its own frame will not be affected by its velocity. Measuring the pressure in a different frame would require a more complex understanding of the stress-energy tensor.
Hello granpa.

I messed up the last post. The bottom line should not be there i was just pointing out that you were wrong by quoting your words.

This is how it was meant to read. Sorry for the mix up.

To quote your words!

-----so length contraction is both real and illusory. the moving object really contracts. while everything else only appears to the moving object to contract.-----

That is incorrect

My reply!

Length contraction, like time dilation in SR is symmetric. Both observers in relative motion see length contract and time dilate in the other frame. In their own frame of course they see nothing change.

Matheinste.

Physics news on Phys.org
there is no contradiction. both see length contraction and time dilation

one sees a real contraction and the other sees an illusory contraction due to loss of simultaneity.

it is of course absolutely impossible to know which is which.

Last edited:
Hello granpa.

They cannot be real and illusory. Both are real.

Matheinste.

care to point out the flaw in my reasoning?

granpa said:
when an objects moves it really does contract or at least it occupies less space (same thing?)

what if you don't let it. do you think it would be ripped apart?

what difference does it make?

Hello granpa.

You say ----the moving object really contracts.----

True. But bear in mind that each observer regards the other as moving relative to him so the words moving and stationary only have a relative meaning in his sense.

You say ---everything else only appears to the moving object to contract. ----

Everything else ( moving relative to other observer, or object ) not only appears to contract, it too really contracts. But, again bear in mind, that to each observer the other is regarded as moving.

Matheinste

relativity does not say that there is no absolute velocity. it just says that you can't determine what it is without ftl travel.

Hello granpa.

----relativity does not say that there is no absolute velocity. it just says that you can't determine what it is without ftl travel.------

Complete nonsense. Buy a book and read it.

Matheinste.

granpa said:
relativity does not say that there is no absolute velocity. it just says that you can't determine what it is without ftl travel.

Can you expand on this ? Are you saying that absolute motion could be detected if you had ftl travel ?

well suppose you could communicate instantly with any part of the universe or at least with arbitrarily small delay. that would allow you to know the absolute time.

if you know absolute time then you should be able to determine absolute velocity simply by looking at your time dilation.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=235621

of course, there is no way to do either. some people do suggest that quantum entanglement might allow ftl communication but the consensus seems to be that it cant.

Last edited:
matheinste said:
Hello granpa.

----relativity does not say that there is no absolute velocity. it just says that you can't determine what it is without ftl travel.------

Complete nonsense. Buy a book and read it.

Matheinste.

Grandpa is "sort of right". Relativity does not rule out an absolute reference frame of the type proposed by Lorentz (where clocks moving relative to the absolute vacuum time dilate and rulers moving relative to the absolute vacuum length contract), it just says it can not be detected and that there "is no need of one".

granpa said:
what difference does it make?

to what were you referring?

granpa said:
when an objects moves it really does contract or at least it occupies less space (same thing?).
AVentura said:
what if you don't let it. do you think it would be ripped apart?

Bell's spaceships paradox says yes, it will be ripped apart.

kev said:
Bell's spaceships paradox says yes, it will be ripped apart.

thanks, I have been thinking about this for years but didn't know what it was called. (they didn't cover this in my master's program)

but I don't think most Physicist would agree with Bell (none of my professors would have). I got in lots of arguments.

The wikipedia entry on Bell's spaceships paradox says that CERN put together a think tank that disagreed with Bell. What was their argument?

Last edited:
AVentura said:
thanks, I have been thinking about this for years but didn't know what it was called. (they didn't cover this in my master's program)

but I don't think most Physicist would agree with Bell (none of my professors would have). I got in lots of arguments.

The wikipedia entry on Bell's spaceships paradox says that CERN put together a think tank that disagreed with Bell. What was there argument?

The wikipedia article goes on to quote Bell as saying "Of course, many people who get the wrong answer at first get the right answer on further reflection".

I am not sure what the argument the CERN scientist's had for assuming the string would not break besides the counter intuitive notion that a physical object between the spaceships length contracts while the space between them does not. That is quite shocking to some people that view length contraction as a mathematical entity rather than a physical one.

The wikipedia article also states a paper by Matsuda and Kins-hita contradicting Bell's conclusion met with much criticism.

Here is my simple explanation of Bell's spaceship paradox if you are interested.

Say we have 2 stationary rockets a distance x apart. A ruler is attached to one rocket and extends to touch the other rocket but is not attached to the second rocket. The 2 rockets launch simultaneously from A's frame with constant and equal proper acceleration and maintaining the same separation in A's frame. (A does not accelerate). Now let's say they stop accelerating simultaneously in A's frame at a final and equal velocity of v=0.8. The distance between the 2 rockets is x according to A and the ruler is now length contacted to 0.6x. If the ruler is now stretched in an attempt to connect it to both rockets its going break, right?

To an observer that was always moving at 0.8c relative to observer A, the rockets do not take off simultaneously but the front rocket appears to take off before the rear rocket. With the rear rocket stationary and the front rocket accelerating it is obvious that if the ruler was attached to both rockets it would be under a lot of strain and will eventually snap.

The arguments for why an object connecting both rockets will eventually snap are so simple and clear, it is difficult to imagine why anyone would disagree.

Last edited:
aventura:

i presume what you are asking me is whether i believe that length contraction is real or just an illusion. it is real for an object that is really moving.

granpa,
well suppose you could communicate instantly with any part of the universe or at least with arbitrarily small delay. that would allow you to know the absolute time.

if you know absolute time then you should be able to determine absolute velocity simply by looking at your time dilation.

of course, there is no way to do either. some people do suggest that quantum entanglement might allow ftl communication but the consensus seems to be that it can't.
Thanks for pointing that out. But it only needs arbitrarily fast communcation, not ftl.

What do you mean by 'really moving' in your post above ?

Last edited:
arbitrarily fast communcation, not ftl?

arbitrarily fast is a way of saying virtually infinitely fast. how is that not ftl?

in other words, be able to communicate with any part of the universe with arbitrarily small delay (ie. virtually zero delay).

Last edited:
granpa,
yes, sorry, I meant to say not instantaneous ( it's sunday afternoon ! ).

But you didn't answer my question. I'm not challenging you, you've pointed out some interesting things so far.

both twins perceive the other to be time dilated but in reality it is only the one that is really moving that is time dilated. once he stops he realizes this. same with length contraction.

that was weird. when i first viewed it my post was blinking solid black. never seen that before.

Last edited:
granpa,
OK. I suppose you could say 'the one who is off the free-fall geodesic', or 'has his engines on'.
This getting off-topic, so I'll leave it there.

M

kev said:
The wikipedia article goes on to quote Bell as saying "Of course, many people who get the wrong answer at first get the right answer on further reflection".

I am not sure what the argument the CERN scientist's had for assuming the string would not break besides the counter intuitive notion that a physical object between the spaceships length contracts while the space between them does not. That is quite shocking to some people that view length contraction as a mathematical entity rather than a physical one.

The wikipedia article also states a paper by Matsuda and Kins-hita contradicting Bell's conclusion met with much criticism.

Here is my simple explanation of Bell's spaceship paradox if you are interested.

Say we have 2 stationary rockets a distance x apart. A ruler is attached to one rocket and extends to touch the other rocket but is not attached to the second rocket. The 2 rockets launch simultaneously from A's frame with constant and equal proper acceleration and maintaining the same separation in A's frame. (A does not accelerate). Now let's say they stop accelerating simultaneously in A's frame at a final and equal velocity of v=0.8. The distance between the 2 rockets is x according to A and the ruler is now length contacted to 0.6x. If the ruler is now stretched in an attempt to connect it to both rockets its going break, right?

To an observer that was always moving at 0.8c relative to observer A, the rockets do not take off simultaneously but the front rocket appears to take off before the rear rocket. With the rear rocket stationary and the front rocket accelerating it is obvious that if the ruler was attached to both rockets it would be under a lot of strain and will eventually snap.

The arguments for why an object connecting both rockets will eventually snap are so simple and clear, it is difficult to imagine why anyone would disagree.

So the ruler is now length contacted while the distance between the 2 rockets does not change.
How about the gas in the box? Would the distance between gas particles change or not while the box is length contacted? In other words, would the box compress the gas in it?

the box occupies less space but isn't compressed. to the box nothing appears to have changed.

Qeinstein said:
So the ruler is now length contacted while the distance between the 2 rockets does not change.
How about the gas in the box? Would the distance between gas particles change or not while the box is length contacted? In other words, would the box compress the gas in it?

just to the initial observer. to that person, the particles would be happy to get closer together without any extra force. their fields are compressed in that direction.

thats right. and that brings up the interesting fact that electric and magnetic fields themselves possesses velocity.

it's also important to remember that some observers in different frames can see the box stretched (perhaps they see it getting closer to their velocity) They would see a different set of fields that make sense with this.

kev said:

no, they agree with Bell (it is linked from wikipedia). they leave out the string and just ask if the ships contract (no they say)
so they and Bell were met with criticism.

but i would tell the critics this:
I work in a radiation therapy department with 2 linear accelerators that are 1 meter in length but are 20 meters apart (co-linear acceleration). The amount of length contraction expected at these speeds can be significant (0.5). That would put the electrons in the hall where I'm standing! Imagine physicists in Cal Tech and MIT that just happened to accelerate electrons in the same direction at the same time. Would they contract to Nebraska?

Last edited:
AVentura said:
just to the initial observer. to that person, the particles would be happy to get closer together without any extra force. their fields are compressed in that direction.

Can you tell me why the distance between the gas particles would change but the distance between the rocket ships won't change?

the gas particles are pressing off one another, but are bound by the box. the gas particles don't mind getting closer together in the direction of acceleration. at the same time the box is contracting in the direction of acceleration. so it's a nice point that you have made. contraction can occur whenever particles are in some sort of interaction, not just a solid state lattice.

are the ships in some sort of interaction? well, there is gravity. something must be keeping them apart for them to float in space like that. perhaps they are bouncing photons off one another to stay separated. that system may contract under acceleration. i really don't understand gravity honestly. it seems like such a system really includes everything in the universe, and would have to be solved as such.

but the electrons in my linacs are not interacting (or I am overcoming it). and I think that is what Bell intended. even if there is an attraction it is accounted for by some system that keeps the ships with the same acceleration relative to a stationary ruler at rest alongside the ships.

in other words, ships don't contract when we don't let them. seems like a real stupid statement, and it is.

but if you did this, and had a string between them, half the scientific world would be in for a shock, and the other half would make a toast. because this is what has never been done so far. someday, someday.

Last edited:
AVentura said:
no, they agree with Bell (it is linked from wikipedia). they leave out the string and just ask if the ships contract (no they say)
so they and Bell were met with criticism.

Your right, the Japenese scientists were agreeing with Bell. More precisely they ask "Does the space (distance) between two ships contract?" and later state "One can conclude that the length of each spaceship may contract according to Eq. (1) but that the distance between the two spaceships should stay constant, as viewed from S."

At the time they seemed to get even more criticism than Bell which made me assume they were disagreeing with Bell. The summary of their paper says:

"After our Japanese papers and a few papers criticizing our argument
appeared in the Japanese physics journal “Parity,” we
discovered that a very similar argument was discussed by Bell,
and that it was met with similar criticism that we are [1]. This
means that, unfortunately, many physicists did not, have not
and still do not understand the real meaning of the Lorentz
contraction even after almost 100 years of the introduction of
special relativity by Einstein
."

That is a bit worrying...:uhh: Are modern scientists so steeped in abstract concepts that they find simple physical concepts difficult to relate to?

Last edited:
kev said:
That is a bit worrying...:uhh: Are modern scientists so steeped in abstract concepts that they find simple physical concepts difficult to relate to?

my university experience says yes.

AVentura said:
my university experience says yes.

I probably shouldn't appeal to authority, but it may be worth mentioning that the John Bell the spaceship paradox was named after is the same John bell that came up with Bell's inequalities which has been described as one one of the most profound discoveries of science.

Hello again granpa.

Quote:-
----relativity does not say that there is no absolute velocity. it just says that you can't determine what it is without ftl travel.----

So relativity does not deny the existence of absolute velocity we just need FTL travel. This can only be information travel as material and EM FTL is not allowed in SR

Absolute time be determined if we have FTL transmission of information.

So knowing this absolute time, by some method we determine absolute velocity.

OK.

So with instantaneous transmission of information ( it has to be instantaneous or we are back to some finite velocity such as c ) we can synchronize all the clocks in our own frame without need for allowing for transmission time or worrying about the anistropy of c. So can everybody else in their own frame. How does this single out a unique absolute rest frame. ( i say rest frame when i should really say frame with absolute velocity zero ).

If we still have the requirement, which SR has, that c is the same for all observers we are still back to where we started. Every observer in relative inertial motion will observe time dilation in the other's frame. We still cannot tell who is " really " moving. This is a consequence of c being the same for all inertial observers.

If you have a valid theory you will need to spell it out in detail for me to understand as i may be making invalid assumptions about your reasoning or my understanding of basic SR may be at fault.

Thankyou in advance for your more detailed explanation. If you can convince me i will happily concede that i am wrong. It won't be the first time.

Matheinste.

Hello again granpa.

Quote:-
----relativity does not say that there is no absolute velocity. it just says that you can't determine what it is without ftl travel.----

So relativity does not deny the existence of absolute velocity we just need FTL travel. This can only be information travel as material and EM FTL is not allowed in SR

Absolute time be determined if we have FTL transmission of information.

So knowing this absolute time, by some method we determine absolute velocity.

OK.

So with instantaneous transmission of information ( it has to be instantaneous or we are back to some finite velocity such as c ) we can synchronize all the clocks in our own frame without need for allowing for transmission time or worrying about the anistropy of c. So can everybody else in their own frame. How does this single out a unique absolute rest frame. ( i say rest frame when i should really say frame with absolute velocity zero ).

If we still have the requirement, which SR has, that c is the same for all observers we are still back to where we started. Every observer in relative inertial motion will observe time dilation in the other's frame. We still cannot tell who is " really " moving. This is a consequence of c being the same for all inertial observers.

If you have a valid theory you will need to spell it out in detail for me to understand as i may be making invalid assumptions about your reasoning or my understanding of basic SR may be at fault.

Thankyou in advance for your more detailed explanation. If you can convince me i will happily concede that i am wrong. It won't be the first time.

Matheinste.