Final Charge on Lower Plate of Water-Dipped Capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses a parallel plate capacitor with one plate dipped in water and the final charge on the lower surface of the plate. The answer is 3Q/2, but the person asking for confirmation is hesitant to show their work. They are reminded that showing work is necessary for receiving help on this forum.
i_island0

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor with the separation between the plates as 'd' has its lower plate dipped in water. Before dipping, the lower plate has charge Q, while the upper plate has charge 2Q. Let K be the dielectric constant of water. What will be the final charge on the lower surface of the plate dipped in water.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not showing the equations and attempt to my solution.
The answer I got is 3Q/2, can anyone comment on if my answer is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you post your work I'll tell you whether or not it is correct.

Mindscrape said:
If you post your work I'll tell you whether or not it is correct.

its so much time taking to show the work... if u can just tell yes or no.. its sufficient for me.. thanks in advance..

Mindscrape is trying to help you. You may want to re-read this https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379 towards the top of this subforum page. It will explain that help is only given to those who show their work.

i m just forced to post my questions in this homework forum because of the warnings i get.. these questions are not homewrk questions.. i m just trying to understand the subject myself.

1. What is a capacitor plate?

A capacitor plate is a conducting surface that is used in a capacitor to store electrical energy.

2. How does a capacitor plate work?

A capacitor plate works by storing electrical charge on its surface. When connected to a power source, electrons from the negative plate are attracted to the positive plate, creating an electric field between them. This electric field stores energy, which can be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

3. What are the types of capacitor plates?

There are two main types of capacitor plates: parallel plates and rolled plates. Parallel plates are flat and separated by an insulating material, while rolled plates are cylindrical and the conducting material is rolled up like a spiral.

4. How do I choose the right capacitor plate for my circuit?

The type of capacitor plate you need depends on the electrical properties of your circuit, such as the required capacitance, voltage, and frequency. It is best to consult a datasheet or an expert to determine the appropriate type and size of capacitor plate for your circuit.

5. Can I use any material for a capacitor plate?

No, the material used for a capacitor plate must be a good conductor of electricity, such as metal. Some common materials used for capacitor plates include aluminum, copper, and silver.