How Can I Define the Bank Angle of a Roller Coaster Helix Track?

• Thread starter Beyond Aphelion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Helix
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with defining a banked helix track piece for a roller-coaster design. The main goal is to track the lateral, normal, and tangential g-forces acting on a point mass and obtain equations for the tangent and normal accelerations at any given point on the helix. The homework equations provided include a helix defined by a curve and principle unit normal vector, but the problem arises when trying to define the steepness of the bank. The solution proposed involves redefining the normal and binormal principle unit vectors by introducing a constant component to account for the bank angle. The conversation also touches on the curvature and torsion of the helix and how they may be affected by changing the
Beyond Aphelion

Homework Statement

I am working on an overly simplified roller-coaster design but I have found a problem in defining a banked helix track piece.

Essentially I want to be able to track the lateral, normal, and tangential g-forces acting on some point mass, so I need to obtain equations for the tangent and normal accelerations at any given point on the helix.

Homework Equations

It would follow that a helix defined by the curve:

[tex]\overline{r}(t) = acos(t)\hat{i} + asin(t)\hat{j} + bt\hat{k}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{T} = \frac{d\overline{r}}{ds} = \frac{d\overline{r}/dt}{ds/dt} = \frac{V}{|V|}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}\left[-asin(t)\hat{i} + acos(t)\hat{j} + b\hat{k}\right][/tex]

[tex]\overline{N} = \frac{d\overline{T}/dt}{|d\overline{T}/dt|} = -cos(t)\hate{i} - sin(t)\hat{j}[/tex]

- has a defined principle unit normal vector. However, what if I want to be able to define how steeply the helix is banked ? Essentially, I want to rotate the normal and binormal principle unit vectors so as to reduce as much lateral g-force as possible or eliminate it entirely.

The Attempt at a Solution

My first inclination is that I should introduce a k-hat component (constant if I want the bank angle to be constant or otherwise if not). But does throwing that element into the equation invalidate some other assumptions I have made?

Not knowing the complications that may arise from this problem, I'd like to just define a constant bank angle, but if it is doable, I wonder if changing the bank angle as a function of time/distance would complicate this beyond my level of comprehension.

Another assumption would be that the unit tangent vector would remain the same for any given helix no matter how the bank is defined. However, as the bank is offset, components of acceleration will be transferred between a_t and a_n. Would this even transfer acceleration into my new binormal direction? How would this effect the radius of curvature? I'm just not sure how to go about modeling that.

I don't necessarily have to end up with a concrete equation, but it would be nice. I have MATLAB at my disposal. Any push in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say I keep [tex]\overline{T}[/tex] the same.

If I simply redefine [tex]\overline{N}[/tex] as [tex]\overline{N} '[/tex]:

[tex]\overline{N} ' = -cos(t)\hate{i} - sin(t)\hat{j} - p\hat{k}[/tex]

where 'p' is some constant which defines how steep the track is banked inward, then:

The new unit normal may be obtained from:

[tex]\frac{\overline{N} '}{|\overline{N} '|} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 + p^{2}}}\left[-cos(t)\hat{i} - sin(t)\hat{j} - p\hat{k}\right][/tex]Now I should theoretically have the binormal unit vector:

[tex]\overline{B} = \overline{T} x \overline{N} '[/tex][tex] =\left| \begin{array}{ccc}
\hat{i} & \hat{j} & \hat{k} \\
\frac{-asin(t)}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}} & \frac{acos(t)}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}} & \frac{b}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}} \\
\frac{-cos(t)}{\sqrt{1 + p^{2}}} & \frac{-sin(t)}{\sqrt{1 + p^{2}}} & \frac{-p}{\sqrt{1 + p^{2}}} \end{array} \right|[/tex]

Thus,

[tex]\overline{B} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 + p^{2})(a^{2} + b^{2})}}\left\{\left[-apcos(t) + bsin(t)\right]\hat{i} + \left[-apsin(t) - bcos(t)\right]\hat{j} + \left[a\right]\hat{k}\right\}[/tex]

Does my logic make sense so far?

Now to define the radius of curvature, I must find the curvature - which depends on [tex]\overline{T}[/tex] parameterized in terms of arc length:

[tex]\rho = \frac{1}{\kappa}[/tex]

AND

[tex]\kappa = \left|\frac{d\overline{T}}{ds}\right|[/tex]

In order to find [tex]\overline{T}[/tex] in terms of arc length:

[tex]s(t) = \int_{t_{0}}^{t}\sqrt{[x'(\tau)]^{2} + [y'(\tau)]^{2} + [z'(\tau)]^{2}}d\tau[/tex]

[tex]= \int_{0}^{t}\sqrt{a^{2}sin^{2}(t) + a^{2}cos^{2}(t) + b^{2}}d\tau = (\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}})t[/tex]

So,

[tex] t = \frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}[/tex]

may be used as a substitution in [tex]\overline{T}(t)[/tex]...[tex]\overline{T} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}\left[-asin(t)\hat{i} + acos(t)\hat{j} + b\hat{k}\right] \Rightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}\left[-asin(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\hat{i} + acos(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\hat{j} + b\hat{k}\right][/tex]Now we may obtain [tex]\left|\frac{d\overline{T}}{ds}\right|[/tex].

[tex]\frac{d\overline{T}}{ds} = \left[\frac{-a}{a^{2} + b^{2}}cos(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\right]\hat{i} + \left[\frac{-a}{a^{2} + b^{2}}sin(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\right]\hat{j} + 0 \hat{k}[/tex]

[tex]\kappa = \left|\frac{d\overline{T}}{ds}\right| = \frac{a}{a^{2} + b^{2}}[/tex]So is it right to assume this same curvature for a general helix, even if I am changing the Normal and Binormal unit vectors? Does it truly have no dependence on anything but the change in tangential direction?

Torsion, on the other hand, is surely dependent on the Binormal and Normal unit vectors...

[tex]\tau = -\frac{d\overline{B}}{ds}\bullet\overline{N}[/tex]

Making the substitution [tex]t = \frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}[/tex] again for [tex]\overline{B}[/tex] and [tex]\overline{N} '[/tex]:

[tex]\overline{B} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{(1 + p^{2})(a^{2} + b^{2})}}\left\{\left[-apcos(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}) + bsin(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\right]\hat{i} + \left[-apsin(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}) - bcos(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\right]\hat{j} + \left[a\right]\hat{k}\right\}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{N} ' = -cos(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\hat{i} - sin(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\hat{j} - p\hat{k}[/tex]I can see how this might get ugly if I vary 'p' as a function of time/arc-length...

[tex]\frac{d\overline{B}}{ds} = \frac{1}{(a^{2} + b^{2})\sqrt{(1 + p^{2})}}\left\{\left[apsin(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}) + bcos(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\right]\hat{i} + \left[-apcos(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}}) + bsin(\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}})\right]\hat{j}\right\}[/tex]

To make things easier to see:

Let: [tex]\frac{1}{(a^{2} + b^{2})\sqrt{(1 + p^{2})}} = \omega[/tex]

AND

Let: [tex]\frac{s}{\sqrt{a^{2} + b^{2}}} = \varphi[/tex]

Then,

[tex]\tau' = -\frac{d\overline{B}}{ds}\bullet\overline{N} ' = -\omega\left\{\left[apsin(\varphi) + bcos(\varphi)\right]\hat{i} + \left[-apcos(\varphi) + bsin(\varphi)\right]\hat{j}\right\}\bullet\left\{-cos(\varphi)\hat{i} - sin(\varphi)\hat{j} - p\hat{k}\right\}[/tex]

[tex]=\omega\left[apsin(\varphi)cos(\varphi) + bcos^{2}(\varphi) - apsin(\varphi)cos(\varphi) + bsin^{2}(\varphi)\right][/tex]

So,

[tex]\tau' = \omega b = \frac{b}{(a^{2} + b^{2})\sqrt{(1 + p^{2})}}[/tex]To check the validity of this torsion value, I can set 'p = 0' as if I had not banked the helix:

[tex]\tau' = \frac{b}{a^{2} + b^{2}}[/tex]

This is what I was expecting (for a general helix without banking). So I am at least a little more confident in my approach. But I am not done yet...

Any ideas on where I should go from here for my g-force analysis?

I just realized my entire method is wrong because I didn't take into account the fact that:

[tex]v(z) = \sqrt{2g(z_{0} - z)}[/tex] (at all times on the rollercoaster)

Where [tex]z_{0}[/tex] is the height at which the frictionless rollercoaster started.

So now my approach has altered slightly:

[tex]\overline{r}(\theta) = Rcos(\theta)\hat{i} + Rsin(\theta)\hat{j} + z\hat{k}[/tex]

In order to use my velocity equation derived from the concept of energy, I must get my position equation in terms of z. I changed the position equation in terms of theta to avoid dealing with time for now as that introduces some confusion.

Since [tex]\frac{dz}{d\theta} = constant = \frac{M}{2\pi}[/tex],

where M is the [tex]\frac{\Delta z}{revolution}[/tex] of the helix. We can define M however we want depending on the shape of the helix.

[tex]\int_{0}^{z'}dz = \int_{0}^{\theta '}\frac{M}{2\pi}d \theta \Rightarrow z = \frac{M}{2\pi}\theta \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{2\pi z}{M}[/tex]

[tex]\overline{r}(z) = Rcos(\frac{2\pi z}{M})\hat{i} + Rsin(\frac{2\pi z}{M})\hat{j} + z\hat{k}[/tex]

Now how do I go about getting z in terms of time so that I can get position in terms of time for the helix?

1. What is the Bank of Helix?

The Bank of Helix is a financial institution that provides a range of banking services, such as savings and checking accounts, loans, and credit cards, to individuals and businesses. It is operated by the Helix Corporation and is registered with the appropriate government regulatory bodies.

2. How is the Bank of Helix different from other banks?

The Bank of Helix stands out from other banks due to its unique approach to banking. It utilizes advanced technology, such as artificial intelligence and blockchain, to provide efficient and secure financial services. Additionally, it offers personalized financial solutions tailored to the needs of its customers.

3. What are the benefits of banking with the Bank of Helix?

Banking with the Bank of Helix offers several benefits, including convenience, security, and personalized services. Its advanced technology allows for faster and more convenient transactions, while its use of blockchain ensures the security and privacy of customer data. The Bank of Helix also offers personalized financial solutions and has a user-friendly interface for easy access to banking services.

4. How can one open an account with the Bank of Helix?

To open an account with the Bank of Helix, you can visit their website or a physical branch to fill out an application. You will need to provide personal information, such as your name, address, and identification documents. Once your application is approved, you can start using your new account and enjoy the benefits of banking with the Bank of Helix.

5. Is the Bank of Helix a safe and reliable institution?

Yes, the Bank of Helix is a safe and reliable institution. It is regulated by government bodies and follows strict security protocols to protect customer information and funds. Additionally, its use of advanced technology and encryption techniques ensures the security and integrity of its banking services.