Undergrad Beginner Struggling with Physics Classes

• Thread starter jaska22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Undergrad
In summary, a student shares their struggles with theoretical physics in their first semester of university, seeking advice from others with bachelor's degrees. They receive encouragement to continue and helpful tips for managing the workload, including talking to other students and preparing for the transition to university-level courses. They also discuss the level of math involved and the importance of determination in mastering the material. Another student shares their experience transferring from a two-year school and offers advice on obtaining syllabi and preparing for the increased workload.
jaska22
Hi everyone,
I just started my junior year and after getting an associate at community college, I'm now attending university for BS in Physics. Since I had only some general physics classes during my first two years in college, I am finding material in physics classes, like electric potential, gauss law,... kind of hard. I seem to have trouble with teoretical part more than homework problems. I really love physics and knew that it would be hard, but since I didn't even take modern physics yet, I'm wondering am I in trouble. Did any of you that have bachelor degrees found this material hard when you took it at first, or you used to find it easy. I love material and am not lazy, but have much trouble understanding it. I will not be giving up on my major, but want to know if it is ok to be stumbling so early on?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's normal to struggle a bit to learn physics... although it's not clear to me how you can have trouble with the "theoretical part" and not also have trouble on the homeworks... How is your math background? Undergrad E&M is mostly vector calculus. If you can do all the math in the "review" chapter in Griffith's E&M textbook you should be fine.

Perhaps you can talk to other students in the class about what they found difficult in the homeworks - that will help you gauge your progress and also help you to make some new friends!

Anyways, you sound like someone who needs an encouraging pat on the back: just get out there and integrate to infinity!

Thanks for a supportive post, oedipa maas. I am actually very good with vector calculus and usually find math very easy. I think my problem wit theory is that I haven't had much exposure to physics material in english (its my second language), so i get confused, but doing problems I don't have as much trouble in just because I understand the main concepts, but I guess I wish to be able to get in more detail when it comes to material.

It doesn't seem that anyone in class is too confindent about the material, and since its my first semester at this university I don't know much people. I will be starting to make new friend soon. Thanks for support again.

Hi jaska22 -

Like you, I transferred from a two-year school to a university. I had a tough time as well. It took a while to get used to the much faster pace and much heavier work load.

Hang in there. The transition is difficult. Being smart helps, but being determined helps a lot more. Good luck!

lisab said:
Hi jaska22 -

Like you, I transferred from a two-year school to a university. I had a tough time as well. It took a while to get used to the much faster pace and much heavier work load.

Hang in there. The transition is difficult. Being smart helps, but being determined helps a lot more. Good luck!

I should be transferring to a university within the next year. Anything I can do now to help the transition? By the time I transfer, I will have completed Cal I-III and Linear Algebra. I'll probably take Differential Equations at the university BEFORE I take the Modern Physics courses.

you may not need diff EQ in modern physics, but they are all taught differently. Mine only required prereq of calc 1-2 and concurrent or prereq in calc 3 (vector calc)

We did do soem diff eq's but they were simple ones. We studies the Schrodinger EQ, but the solutions we did were very simple as most take too long to work out. It was more of an overview of what we would deal with in later classes like Quantum and Classical Mech. So we did not go in depth into solving the SE.

that being said, we also didn't use very much calc, mainly just algebra. We may have done some optimization problems, but my class was not very mathematically intensive.

yeah the thing about physics is the higher you go the more work something requires to master, I'm assuming your taking a junior level E&M course with griffiths right?

for a course like that don't worry if it takes you a while toget the stuff the important thing is that you get it.

if your taking a freshman level E&M course just play with it some and it'll come to you, but again its ok to have to work hard and study hard to get it, if you do that to the point where you can get every problem every time, it'll help you alot.

Shackleford said:
I should be transferring to a university within the next year. Anything I can do now to help the transition? By the time I transfer, I will have completed Cal I-III and Linear Algebra. I'll probably take Differential Equations at the university BEFORE I take the Modern Physics courses.

You could go to the website of the department at the university you will be transferring to and try to get syllabi for the classes you will be taking your first semester. It may be of benefit to obtain the books early and try to work through them a bit before you transfer (perhaps during the summer).

bravernix said:
It may be of benefit to obtain the books early and try to work through them a bit before you transfer (perhaps during the summer).

That would be good, if you can afford to buy them.

Be aware that the classes will probably be harder than those at most two-year schools. Your first semester or quarter in upper-division physics classes is not a good time to start a relationship, or a time-intensive hobby, that sort of thing. Clear your schedule a bit, be sure you'll have a lot of time to study.

I was quite surprised by how much more homework was given at the university, compared to the 2-year college I went to. I think a lot of community colleges offer a great education, but they tend to cater to older students who are holding down jobs, or have a family to take care of. These students don't have as much time to spend doing homework, so the instructors don't load them down with a lot of work. At least that was my experience.

agreed my LA course required 8 assignments that we were tod about at the beginning, I think it worked out nicely as it allowed people to stay focused whereas most courses don't preset the number of assignments

1. What are some common challenges that undergrad beginners face in physics classes?

Some common challenges that undergrad beginners face in physics classes include difficulty with mathematical concepts, struggling with abstract concepts, and adjusting to the rigorous problem-solving approach required in physics.

2. How can I improve my understanding of physics as an undergrad beginner?

To improve your understanding of physics as an undergrad beginner, it is important to practice regularly, seek help from professors or tutors when needed, and actively engage in class discussions and problem-solving sessions. It can also be helpful to form study groups with classmates to work through difficult concepts together.

3. Are there any resources available to help undergrad beginners with physics classes?

Yes, there are many resources available to help undergrad beginners with physics classes. Your university may have tutoring services or study groups specifically for physics students. Additionally, there are online resources such as Khan Academy, Crash Course, and Physics Classroom that offer free tutorials and practice problems.

4. How important is it to have a strong foundation in math for success in physics classes?

A strong foundation in math is crucial for success in physics classes. Many physics concepts are based on mathematical principles, and having a solid understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus will make it easier to grasp and apply these concepts. If you are struggling with math, it may be beneficial to review these concepts before diving into physics.

5. What are some study tips for an undergrad beginner struggling with physics classes?

Some study tips for an undergrad beginner struggling with physics classes include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing regularly, and seeking help when needed. It can also be helpful to make flashcards or study guides to review key concepts and formulas. Additionally, try to actively engage in class and ask questions to clarify any confusion.