How Do You Calculate the Charge and Number of Excess Electrons on a Pith Ball?

• Thread starter ehdubbya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the problem involves a pith ball hanging at 20 degrees from the vertical and weighing 3 grams. It is moved 10cm by a charged rod with the same charge. The equation kqq/rsquared is relevant, but the charges are unknown. It is suggested to draw a free-body diagram and use Newton's second law to set up 2 equations in 2 unknowns (q and tension T) to solve the problem.
ehdubbya

Homework Statement

My problem states that a pith ball hangs at 20 degrees from the verticle and weighs 3 grams. It is moved 10cm by a charged rod. They both have the same charge. It asks what is the charge on the ball in C and approximatley how many excess electrons are on the ball.

Homework Equations

I have the equation kqq/rsquared

The Attempt at a Solution

I found all the sides to the triangle and I do not know where to go from there. I do not know the charges so how can I use the equation with q in it?

Physics news on Phys.org
ehdubbya said:
It is moved 10cm by a charged rod.

10 cm in which direction? x? y? other? And where is the rod in relation to the ball? Is the charge distributed over the entire rod, or is it concentrated at a point?

I found all the sides to the triangle and I do not know where to go from there. I do not know the charges so how can I use the equation with q in it?

Did you draw a free-body diagram and set up the equations from Newton's second law? You should have 2 equations in 2 unknowns (q and the tension T in the cord from which the ball hangs).

I would approach this problem by first identifying and defining all the variables involved. In this case, the variables are the angle of the pith ball (20 degrees), its weight (3 grams), and the distance it was moved (10cm). Additionally, the problem states that the pith ball and the charged rod have the same charge, but the value of this charge is not given.

Next, I would use the equation kqq/rsquared to calculate the charge on the pith ball. However, since the value of q is unknown, I would use algebra to rearrange the equation and solve for q. This would give us the charge on the pith ball in Coulombs (C).

To determine the number of excess electrons on the ball, we can use the fact that one electron has a charge of 1.602 x 10^-19 C. By dividing the total charge on the ball (calculated in the previous step) by the charge of one electron, we can determine the number of excess electrons on the ball.

It is important to note that this solution assumes that the pith ball and the charged rod have point charges, and that the pith ball is small enough that its position does not significantly affect the electric field. If these assumptions do not hold, the solution may be more complex and require additional information.

What is an excess electron?

An excess electron is an electron that is not bound to an atom or molecule and is free to move through a material or medium.

How do excess electrons impact conductivity?

Excess electrons can increase the conductivity of a material by allowing for the flow of electric current through the material.

What causes excess electrons?

Excess electrons can be caused by a variety of factors, such as exposure to light, heat, or other forms of energy, or through chemical reactions.

Can excess electrons be harmful?

In some cases, excess electrons can be harmful, such as in the case of static electricity buildup, which can cause damage to electronic devices. However, in other cases, excess electrons can be harnessed for useful purposes, such as in the production of electricity.

How are excess electrons used in technology?

Excess electrons are used in a variety of technologies, such as in the production of electricity through solar cells or in electronic devices like computers and smartphones. They can also be used in medical imaging and other scientific research applications.