Discover the Power of Linux with Mandrake and Redhat: A User's Experience

• Thread starter Futurist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linux
In summary, the conversation discusses various opinions on the superiority of Linux over Windows and vice versa. Some users have had issues with Linux, while others praise its stability and open-source concept. It is mentioned that Linux is great for programmers, but may not be necessary for non-programmers. The conversation also touches on the availability and compatibility of apps for both operating systems. Some users have had success with Linux, while others prefer the ease of use and compatibility of Windows. Overall, the conversation suggests that the choice between Linux and Windows depends on personal preference and the user's specific needs and experiences.
Originally posted by Frac
I'm an occasional Linux user. However, I wonder if Linux really is for everyone. I've seen in other forums that Greg is a solemn gamer, is it possible to have a thriving gaming life outside of windows or a mac?

Isn't "gaming life" kind of an oxymoron?

I'm not a gamer, but some members of my LUG are and they're always playing Unreal Tournament - I don't know about other games on linux (besides things like tetris..) I suppose someone who cared about stuff like that could research it.

Originally posted by J-Man
I'm just as surprised as Damgo that NTFS for linux is unreliable. It should be fairly easy to make a protocol interpreter. I guess the addage "if you want something done right, do it yourself" might apply.
It might be awhile before I actually try out linux on my machine... It's getting warmer outside.

It also may be the Microsoft is making some kind of funky changes. I know that there are problems with Samba because Microsoft keeps screwing around with protocols. The Samba people do a good job of keeping up but some of it isn't the linux community's fault. Apparently there are several changes between the versions of NTFS used on NT, 2000 and XP. With Microsoft keeping stuff closed source I can only imagine they have to reverse engineer everything. For more information: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/info/ntfs.html

Regarding your question about UDF capabilities, you'll have to be more specific. From what I've read UDF is basically some kind of replacement for ISO9660 but I don't know much else about it so I couldn't elaborate on the capabilities in linux.

Computer science news on Phys.org
The only real reason I have any interest at all in linux is the Open Source/Freeware aspect of it. If I was going to use it seriously I would be trying to steer away from things like KDE. I'm sure that at some stage in the future, when the time is right, you will have to buy it. I don't think Gnome will ever go that way.

Raavin