Transcendental Equations for Maple

• Maple
  • Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple
In summary: Yes, for a particular, fixed x. Say I set x to 10. I can then use "fsolve" to find me a value for y that solves the equation. I can give the command a range in which to search for the y value and if it finds one it will return it. The problem is that I want to specify a range in which there is more than one possible solution, but "fsolve" will only return one of them.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am trying to use Maple to graph one variable vs. another. This is normally a simple issue, but the equations I have involving both of the variables is transcendental and it is impossible to solve for the variable I wish to be the independent variable. Does anyone know how I can go about graphing the one variable vs. the other in Maple? The equation has the following form:

[tex]y\tan(yx)=\sqrt{1-y}[/tex]

Is there anyway I can graph y vs. a and not loose any solutions or is what I'm asking for impossible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can one simply use

[tex]x\,=\,\frac{1}{y}\,tan^{-1}\frac{\sqrt{1-y}}{y}[/tex]

Bear in mind that the square root maybe negative as well as positive, but perhaps the negative is not physical and need not be considered.

G01 said:
I am trying to use Maple to graph one variable vs. another. This is normally a simple issue, but the equations I have involving both of the variables is transcendental and it is impossible to solve for the variable I wish to be the independent variable. Does anyone know how I can go about graphing the one variable vs. the other in Maple? The equation has the following form:

[tex]y\tan(yx)=\sqrt{1-y}[/tex]

Is there anyway I can graph y vs. a and not loose any solutions or is what I'm asking for impossible?

Maple, Mathematica, and, I think, Matlab all have commands for this. I only have access to Maple at home.

Code:
with(plots):
implicitplot(y*tan(y*x) = sqrt(1 - y), x=-3..3, y=1..-5, grid=[500,500]);

The graph is quite funky. This implicit function is very sensitive to numerical error, so you have to make sure what is plotted is meaningful. Play with the graph by making the grid finer, and by restricting the region. A plot with a finer grid may 10 minutes or even 30 minutes to produce, but this will be the only way to make the results are OK.

Astronuc said:
Can one simply use ...

This only produces a small part of the graph. tan defined on the whole real axis is a perfectly fine function, but it is not an invertible function. This is the tan function that G01 needs. tan^-1 is defined for a tan function whose domain is restricted to -pi/2 < x < pi/2

Thanks George. That seemed to work. I have one more question. Maybe you can help. Is there anyway I can solve this equation and get multiple numerical answers? I tried using the "fsolve" command, but it will only give one solution in the range specified. Is there any command that can give me more than one numerical solution for a given range?

Last edited:
Likes ztdep
G01 said:
Thanks George. That seemed to work. I have one more question. Maybe you can help. Is there anyway I can solve this equation and get multiple numerical answers?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean for a particular fixed x?

George Jones said:
I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean for a particular fixed x?

Yes, for a particular, fixed x.

Say I set x to 10. I can then use "fsolve" to find me a value for y that solves the equation. I can give the command a range in which to search for the y value and if it finds one it will return it. The problem is that I want to specify a range in which there is more than one possible solution, but "fsolve" will only return one of them. Is there a command, similar to "fsolve," that can return multiple solutions?

1. What are transcendental equations?

Transcendental equations are mathematical equations that involve transcendental functions such as logarithms, exponentials, trigonometric functions, and hyperbolic functions.

2. How can Maple help with solving transcendental equations?

Maple is a computer algebra system that has built-in functions and algorithms for solving various types of equations, including transcendental equations. It can handle complex equations with multiple variables and provide both numerical and symbolic solutions.

3. Can Maple solve any transcendental equation?

No, there are some transcendental equations that Maple may not be able to solve. This could be due to the complexity of the equation or limitations in the program's algorithms. It is always best to check the documentation and try different approaches when using Maple to solve equations.

4. How do I input a transcendental equation into Maple?

You can input a transcendental equation into Maple using its built-in syntax for mathematical expressions. This includes using symbols for variables, the standard mathematical operations (+, -, *, /), and built-in functions (e.g. log, exp, sin, cos).

5. Can Maple graph the solutions to transcendental equations?

Yes, Maple has a built-in plotting function that can graph the solutions to transcendental equations. This can be useful for visualizing the solutions and understanding the behavior of the equation.