Stress-strain diagram using deformation ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of plotting a stress-strain diagram for 2 beams in a lab report. The speaker is unsure of how to find the strain and the modulus of elasticity, but after researching and consulting a mechanics of materials book, they discover the formula 1/p(rho) = M(x)/EI and plan to use it to find the strain and modulus of elasticity.
the_rider

Homework Statement

I have a lab report where I have to plot a stress-strain diagram for 2 beams. We apply an increasing load at midspan and record the deflection. I have to find the strain so I can plot the diagram. Also, the diagram willl be use to find the modulus of elasticity so I can use the stress = Ee

Homework Equations

I cannot use stress = Ee since the modulus need to be find. I know that strain = (l-lo)/lo but since it is not en elongation but a bending I don't know what's the relation between strain and deflection

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking about using trigonometry to find the change in length but I wouldn't be accurate and the error on the length will be to big to use. It's a lab report so usually it shouldn't be to complicated. I look on the internet, in all my books and didn't not find any relation between strain and deflection.

Thank you
Alex B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alex B., welcome to PF. I suggest you find any mechanics of materials book (Beer and Johnston is a classic) and look at the chapter on bending. You will find many useful relationships between stress and strain for a bending beam.

Thanks Mapes.

I found the formula i need 1/p(rho) = M(x)/EI then I find my E, then use O=Ee to find my strain.

1. What is a stress-strain diagram?

A stress-strain diagram is a graphical representation of the relationship between the stress and strain of a material under different levels of deformation. It shows how a material responds to an applied force and how it deforms before breaking or reaching its maximum stress.

2. How is a stress-strain diagram created?

A stress-strain diagram is created by conducting a tensile test on a material. This involves applying an increasing amount of force to a sample of the material and measuring the corresponding strain. The data is then plotted on a graph with stress on the y-axis and strain on the x-axis to create the stress-strain diagram.

3. What does the slope of a stress-strain diagram represent?

The slope of a stress-strain diagram represents the material's Young's modulus, which is a measure of its stiffness. A steeper slope indicates a stiffer material, while a shallower slope indicates a more flexible material.

4. What do the different regions on a stress-strain diagram indicate?

The initial linear region of a stress-strain diagram represents the elastic deformation of the material, where it can return to its original shape after the force is removed. The yield point marks the beginning of the plastic deformation region, where the material starts to permanently deform. The ultimate tensile strength is the maximum stress the material can withstand before breaking, and the fracture point is where the material breaks completely.

5. How is a stress-strain diagram used in material testing and design?

A stress-strain diagram is used to determine the mechanical properties of a material, such as its strength, stiffness, and ductility. It is also used in material selection and design to ensure that the chosen material can withstand the expected stresses and strains in a given application.