Why did the pipe start to rotate when released?

In summary, the pipe flew off in a straight line as expected when the string was released, but it also continued to rotate in the same direction as it was spun before being released. This is due to its angular momentum, which is equal to the rate at which it was being spun while attached to the string. To stop the rotation, a countering torque force would be needed. The center of mass of the pipe will fly off in a straight line, while the pipe itself rotates about its center and about the person swinging it. The angular momentum of the spinning pipe is the sum of the angular momentum of its center of mass and the angular momentum of the pipe about its center of mass.
Timoothy
I attached a string to the center point of one end of a 2 foot length of steel pipe, and then while holding the loose end of the string overhead I swung the pipe in a circle. When I released the string the pipe flew off in a straight line as I expected, but what I didn't expect was, the pipe instantly began to rotate in the same direction (counter clockwise) that I was spinning it in before I released the string.
I had expected the pipe to fly off in a straight line with no rotation just as an arrow would fly through the air.
Why did the pipe immediately begin to rotate when I released the string?

Physics news on Phys.org
The leading/outer edge of the pipe has a higher velocity in that direction than the trailing edge. There is of course a smooth transition in velocity from the leading edge to the trailing edge (it reduces).

The pipe already had angular momentum, equal to the rate that it was being spun at. It simply continued to retain this angular momentum once it was released. To stop this angular velocity, a countering torque force would be required.

Timoothy said:
Why did the pipe immediately begin to rotate when I released the string?
It was rotating when you were swinging it, so it just kept rotating. (Imagine someone viewing the circling pipe from above--they would clearly see the pipe rotating about its center in addition to rotating about you.)

Note that the center of mass of the pipe will fly off in a straight line (subject to gravity, of course).

dst said:
The leading/outer edge of the pipe has a higher velocity in that direction than the trailing edge. There is of course a smooth transition in velocity from the leading edge to the trailing edge (it reduces).

So that's angular momentum. Well I'm tickled pink, that actually makes sense to me, and I can imagine that smooth transition in velocity as I visualize the pipe rotating through the air.

Thank you both for your clear explanations :-)

I have a question .

From mvr, we can see that while you are swinging the pipe, the pipe has an angular momentum of m * v * r, where r is the center of mass of the pipe to your hand. So, While it flies off, what is that r again in this case??

If the pipe were a point mass (and thus not spinning about its axis) it would have an angular momentum about the person equal to [itex]\vec{r}\times m\vec{v} = mvr\sin\theta[/itex]. R is the position vector describing the location of the "pipe" with respect to the origin. Once the pipe flies off (ignoring gravity) that angular momentum doesn't change.

The total angular momentum of the spinning pipe is the sum of (1) The angular momentum of its center of mass about the origin, and (2) the angular momentum of the pipe about its center of mass. (Your comment only addressed the first piece.)

What is centrifugal force?

Centrifugal force is a perceived or fictitious force that appears to act on an object moving in a circular path. It is the outward force that causes an object to move away from the center of rotation.

How is centrifugal force related to rotation?

Centrifugal force is directly related to rotation, as it is the force that results from the inertia of an object moving in a curved path. The faster an object is rotating, the greater the centrifugal force acting upon it.

What is the difference between centrifugal force and centripetal force?

Centrifugal force and centripetal force are two opposite forces that are related to the same motion. Centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of rotation, while centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path.

Can centrifugal force be felt?

Centrifugal force is not a real force, so it cannot be directly felt. However, the effects of centrifugal force can be felt, such as the sensation of being pushed outward when in a car making a sharp turn.

How is centrifugal force used in everyday life?

Centrifugal force is used in many everyday objects, such as amusement park rides, centrifuges in laboratories, and washing machines. It is also used in transportation, such as in cars, trains, and airplanes, to keep objects moving in a curved path.