Equivalence Relation and Associated Partition

In summary, the given relation is (x,y)~(w,z) if and only if y=w. This relation is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. The associated partition is {{1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5}}. To prove reflexivity of the relation, it must satisfy the definition of "a~a" for any a in the set. In this case, the set is R² or pairs of numbers. To prove transitivity, the definition is "if (x,y)~(w,z) and (w,z)~(u,v) then (x,y)~(u,v)". The equivalence classes are sets of points (x,y) where x² is always the
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

(proof) Determine whether or not (x,y)~(w,z) if and only if y=w is an equivalence relation. If it is, then describe the associated partition.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x be an element of the reals. It is known that a relation on a set X is said to be reflexive if x~x for all x is an element of X. Since y and w are equal and x is an element of the reals and X is an element of the reals, this relation is reflexive.

It is known that a relaion on a set X is symmetric if for all x, y is an element of X, whenever x~y, then y~x. Since y=w, which is the same thing as saying, x~y and y~x, this relation is symmetric.

The relation is transitive if for all x, y, z is an element of X, if x~y and y~z, then x~z. It is also transitive because y=w.

Could someone please show me where to go from here?
Thank you very much

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is reflexive if for any (x,y) in R², (x,y)~(x,y).

Is this really so?

Is it not reflexive because (2,5) is not the same thing as (5,2)? I'm not really sure how to prove whether it is or it isn't. Could you please show me how?

This one is reflexive, right? (x,y)~(w,z) if and only if x^2=w^2 because they are both squared. 2^2=2^2
-2^2=2^2

It is also symmetric and transitive, right? Could you show me how to prove it?(

(x,y)~(w,z) if and only if xw=yz is not reflexive, right? because 2(5)=6(8) is not true

Thank you very much

Last edited:
chocolatelover said:

Homework Statement

(proof) Determine whether or not (x,y)~(w,z) if and only if y=w is an equivalence relation. If it is, then describe the associated partition.

chocolatelover said:
Is it not reflexive because (2,5) is not the same thing as (5,2)? I'm not really sure how to prove whether it is or it isn't. Could you please show me how?
No, this is not reflexive because (2,5)~(2,5) is wrong: (x,y)= (2,5) so y= 5. (w,z)= (2,5) so w= 2. 5 is not equal to 2 so y is not equal to w.

This one is reflexive, right? (x,y)~(w,z) if and only if x^2=w^2 because they are both squared. 2^2=2^2
-2^2=2^2
Which one? If you are going to define a new relation, by "(x,y)~(w,z) if and only if x^2=w^2", please define it first, then ask the question! Yes, this is reflexive. No, it is not because of the squares but because x and w are both the first members of the pair. For any (x,y), (x,y)~(x,y) because x2= x2. (Notice that in that last equation I am using the fact that "=" itself is reflexive: a= a.)

It is also symmetric and transitive, right? Could you show me how to prove it?
You prove something like that by showing that it satisfies the definition:
A relation is symmetric if and only if a~b implies b~a. Suppose (x,y)~(w,z). Then x2= w2. But then, because w2= x2, we have (w,z)= (x,y). Do you see how I used the fact that "=" itself is symmetric?

To show that this relation is transitive, we must show that "if (x,y)~(w,z) and (w,z)~(u,v) then (x,y)~(u,v)", the definition of "transitive". Okay, if (x,y)~(w,z) then x2= w2 and if (w,z)~(u,v) then w2= u2. From that (and the fact that "=" itself is transitive) we have x2= u2 which tells us that (x,y)~(u,v) and we are done.

The "equivalence classes" are sets of point (x,y) where x2 is always the same. Since x2= w2 if x= w or x= -w, those are pairs of vertical lines, x= a and x= -a, on a graph.

(x,y)~(w,z) if and only if xw=yz is not reflexive, right? because 2(5)=6(8) is not true
Where did you get "2(5)" and "6(8)"? The definition of reflexive is "a~a" for any a in the set. Here, your set is R2 or pairs of numbers. To show any relation on R2 is reflexive you must show (x,y)~(x,y) for any x and y. There are only two numbers involved, not 4. If (x,y)~(w,z) means xw= yz (first member times first member equals second member times second member), then (x,y)~(x,y) means x2= y2. That is not always true. (1, 2)~(1,2) is false because 12 is not equal to 22.

Thank you very much
You are welcome.

Thank you very much

(No, it is not because of the squares but because x and w are both the first members of the pair. For any (x,y), (x,y)~(x,y) because x2= x2. (Notice that in that last equation I am using the fact that "=" itself is reflexive: a= a.))

I don't understand this part. In the previos example x and w were both the first members of the pair, but it wasn't reflexive. Could you please explain this to me?

To show that this relation is transitive, we must show that "if (x,y)~(w,z) and (w,z)~(u,v) then (x,y)~(u,v)", the definition of "transitive". Okay, if (x,y)~(w,z) then x2= w2 and if (w,z)~(u,v) then w2= u2. From that (and the fact that "=" itself is transitive) we have x2= u2 which tells us that (x,y)~(u,v) and we are done.

The "equivalence classes" are sets of point (x,y) where x2 is always the same. Since x2= w2 if x= w or x= -w, those are pairs of vertical lines, x= a and x= -a, on a graph.

Now that I know that it is an equivalence class, the partition could be {{1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5},} right?

Also, when you see (x,y)~(w,z) if and only if y=w and you are trying to prove whether or not it is reflexive, it means that if (x,y) for all x they are an element of X, right? If not, could you explain it to me, please?

Thank you

Last edited:
chocolatelover said:
Thank you very much

(No, it is not because of the squares but because x and w are both the first members of the pair. For any (x,y), (x,y)~(x,y) because x2= x2. (Notice that in that last equation I am using the fact that "=" itself is reflexive: a= a.))

I don't understand this part. In the previos example x and w were both the first members of the pair, but it wasn't reflexive. Could you please explain this to me?
In the previous example, the relation was (x,y)~(w,v) if y= w. y and w are not both the first members of the pair (nor both the second members). In particular, (1, 2) is not "related" to itself in this relation because if (x,y)= (w,v)= (1, 2) y= 2 and w= 1 so y is NOT equal to w.

Now that I know that it is an equivalence class, the partition could be {{1}, {2}, {3}, {4}, {5},} right?
No, no, no! This is an equivalence relation on R2 Equivalence classes are sets of pairs of numbers. Since x2[/sup] is always the same, Equivalence classes would be, as I said, sets of numbers where y can be anything but x is fixed: vertical lines.

Also, when you see (x,y)~(w,z) if and only if y=w and you are trying to prove whether or not it is reflexive, it means that if (x,y) for all x they are an element of X, right? If not, could you explain it to me, please?

Thank you
I have no idea what you mean by "if (x,y) for all x". Saying (x,y)~(w,v) means that the relation is defined on pairs of things- presumably pairs of numbers.

Thank you

No, no, no! This is an equivalence relation on R2 Equivalence classes are sets of pairs of numbers. Since x2[/sup] is always the same, Equivalence classes would be, as I said, sets of numbers where y can be anything but x is fixed: vertical lines.

I'm looking for the partition. Could you please tell me how you would find that?

Thank you

Each set in a partition using an equivalence relation (called "equivalence classes") consists of all members of the original set that are equivalent. Since in this particular problem (x,y)~(u,v) if and only if x= u, equivalence classes consist of pairs of numbers in which the pairs have the same first member: {(a, y)|y is any real number}. Geometrically, as I said before, the eqivalence classes are vertical lines.

Thank you very much

Regards

1. What is a relation?

A relation is a mathematical concept that describes the connection or association between two or more sets of objects or elements. It is represented by a set of ordered pairs, where the first element in each pair is from the first set and the second element is from the second set.

2. What is a partition?

A partition is a way of dividing a set into non-overlapping subsets, such that every element in the original set belongs to exactly one subset. Each subset is called a block of the partition, and the collection of all blocks forms a partition of the original set.

3. How are relations and partitions related?

A partition can be represented as a special type of relation, known as an equivalence relation. An equivalence relation is a relation that satisfies three properties: reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Therefore, every partition can be seen as an equivalence relation, and vice versa.

4. What is the difference between an equivalence relation and a partial order?

Both equivalence relations and partial orders are types of relations, but they differ in their properties. An equivalence relation satisfies the properties of reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity, while a partial order satisfies the properties of reflexivity, antisymmetry, and transitivity. In other words, a partial order is a stricter version of an equivalence relation, as it does not allow for symmetric relationships.

5. How are relations and partitions used in real-world applications?

Relations and partitions have many practical applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and social sciences. In computer science, they are used to model data structures and relationships between entities. In economics, they are used to analyze preference relations and market structures. In social sciences, they are used to study social networks and group dynamics.