How Can You Find the Sum of a Convergent Series with Partial Fractions?

In summary, the sum of the convergent series 1/(n^2-1) from n=2 to infinity is equal to 3/4. To solve this problem, partial fractions were used to break down the series into two fractions and solve for the unknown variables A and B. The series was then simplified using the cover-up method and the sum was found by plugging in values for n and taking the limit as n approaches infinity.
BuBbLeS01

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the convergent series:
The sum of 1/ (n^2 - 1) from n=2 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to break it down into 2 fractions and use partial fractions.

1/(n-1)(n+1)...but I don't know where to go from here...

Physics news on Phys.org
BuBbLeS01 said:

Homework Statement

Find the sum of the convergent series:
The sum of 1/ (n^2 - 1) from n=2 to infinity

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I want to break it down into 2 fractions and use partial fractions.

1/(n-1)(n+1)...but I don't know where to go from here...
How about doing what you just said: use partial fractions. If
[tex]\frac{1}{n^2-1}= \frac{A}{n-1}+ \frac{B}{n+1}[/tex]
what are A and B?

A would be 1 * (n+1) = n+1
B would be 1 * (n-1) = n-1
right? or no??

Noo. Take what Halls gave you and multiply both sides by (n-1)*(n+1) (remembering (n-1)*(n+1)=n^2-1). That should give you an equation to solve for A and B. What is it?

So I would have
A(n+1) * B(n-1)

No. That's not even an equation. It should 'equal' something. And how did you get the '*' between the two terms. Try again. Show more work if you are really confused.

Ok that should have been + not * my mistake...
1/n^2 - 1 = A/n-1 + B/n+1
1/n^2 - 1 = A(n-1)(n+1)/n-1 + B(n-1)(n+1)/n+1
1/n^2 - 1 = A(n+1) + B(n-1)

You are getting closer, but you didn't multiply the left side by (n^2-1), did you?

Oh I didn't realize I had to...
So I get...
1 = A(n+1) + B(n-1)

You've got it. Now write that as 1=(A+B)*n+(A-B). There's no 'n' on the left side so the coefficient of n on the right side should be zero, and the constant term should be 1. Can you find A and B?

Can I also just do...
1 = A(n+1) + B(n-1)
Plug in 1 to solve for A and -1 to solve for B? Getting 1/2 and -1/2?

Sure. Plugging in values of n will work too. But plugging in just n=1 doesn't tell you what B is, does it?

can't he plug in -1 for to zero out A and get B

(heaviside cover up method?)

Yea that's what I meant 1 to get A and -1 to get B

I said, sure you can! You could also, without paying much attention to n, just say (A+B)=0, and (A-B)=1 and solve them simultaneously. Whichever method you prefer. They both work. Now can you sum the series?

Dick said:
I said, sure you can! You could also, without paying much attention to n, just say (A+B)=0, and (A-B)=1 and solve them simultaneously. Whichever method you prefer. They both work. Now can you sum the series?

1/n^2 - 1 = .5/n-1 - .5/n+1

Then I start with plugging in 2 going to infinity...

[.5/2-1 - .5/2+1] + [.5/3-1 - .5/3+1] + [.5/4-1 - .5/4+1] + [.5/5-1 - .5/5+1]...and so on...

[.5/1 - .5/3] + [.5/2 - .5/4] + [.5/3 - .5/5] + [.5/4 - .5/6]...

Some cancel out...I thought it was supposed to be all of them cancel except the 1st and nth term? Somehow I didn't get that...

The next term that you didn't write will cancel the .5/5. The one after that will cancel the .5/6. The one after that will cancel the .5/7. Etc. In the end, which terms don't cancel?

I thought it was supposed to be the first and last but then .5/2 didn't cancel which is half of the 2nd term?

I'm not sure why you are saying 'first' and 'last' should cancel, but you are right. .5/2 doesn't cancel.

Strictly speaking a telescoping series doesn't have to be just the first and last term, as long as enough terms cancel then that's all that matters.

so as n approaches infinity the limit is 3/4...is that right?

That's right.

1. What is the sum of a convergent series?

The sum of a convergent series is the value that the series approaches as more and more terms are added. It is a finite value and can be calculated using various methods such as the partial sum formula or the ratio test.

2. How can I determine if a series is convergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine if a series is convergent, such as the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. These tests involve checking the behavior of the terms in the series and comparing them to known convergent or divergent series.

3. Can a divergent series have a finite sum?

No, a divergent series does not have a finite sum. A series is considered divergent if the value it approaches as more terms are added is infinite, meaning it does not have a finite sum.

4. How does the sum of a convergent series differ from the sum of an infinite series?

The sum of a convergent series is a finite value, while the sum of an infinite series is an infinite value. The sum of a convergent series is what the series approaches as more terms are added, while the sum of an infinite series is the sum of all terms in the series.

5. Can the sum of a convergent series be negative?

Yes, the sum of a convergent series can be negative. The sum of a series is determined by the behavior of the terms in the series, not by the sign of the terms. So, even if the individual terms are negative, the sum of a convergent series can still be a negative value.