Convergence of Uniformly Convergent Functions: Proof for Infinity Case

In summary, the proof in the textbook is for the case where f is differentiable and converges uniformly to a specific function in C_\infty, but the infinity case throws the author off.
thebetapirate
I ran into this proof in one of my textbooks and was wondering if anybody could lead me in the right logical direction. I can prove the first-differentiable continuous case but the infinity case throws me off. Please help if you can!

Thanks!

Suppose [tex]\left\{f}\right\}\subset C_{\infty}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex] such that [tex]\left{f\right}_{n}[/tex] converges uniformly to some [tex]\left{f\right}\in C_{\infty}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex]. Prove that:

[tex]\int^a_b\left{f\right}_{n}\left(x\right)dx \rightarrow \int^a_b\left{f\right}\left(x\right)dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean "I can prove the first-differentiable continuous case"? If f and fn are [itex]C_\infty[/itex] they are certainly C1 so any proof for "first differentiable" works here.

The problem statement is much simpler with the single-differentiable continuous case. It should read like this:

Suppose [tex]\left\{f_{n}}\right\}\subset C\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex] such that [tex]\left{f\right}_{n}[/tex] converges uniformly to some [tex]\left{f\right}\in C\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex]. Prove that:

[tex]\int^a_b\left{f\right}_{n}\left(x\right)dx\rightarrow\int^a_b\left{f\right}\left(x\right)dx[/tex]

~Thanks!

C^(inf) is a subset of C^(1). So if you've proven it for C^(1), you've proven it for C^(n) for n>=1.

Isn't it the other way around?...

No, think of f(x) = |x|. It is obviously continuous so it is an element of C^(0), but it isn't differentiable everywhere so it's not an element of C^(1).

Your illustration [tex]f\left(x\right)=\left|x\right|\in C_{0}\notin C_{1}[/tex] implies [tex]C_{0}\subset C_{1}[/tex], which is exactly what I'm trying to say...

If [tex]C_{0}[/tex] were in [tex]C_{1}[/tex], then [tex]\left|x\right|\in C_{1}[/tex], but that can't be true. In the previous post before the last one you state [tex]C_{\infty}\subset C_{1}[/tex], but this contradicts what you last posted.

In general, if any function [tex]f\left(x\right)\in C_{n}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex], then [tex]f\left(x\right)\in C_{k}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right), \forall k\in\left[0,n\right]\in\mathbb{Z} \rightarrow C_{0}\subset C_{1}\subset C_{2}\subset... \subset C_{\infty}[/tex]. Therefore if a a function [tex]f\left(x\right)\in C_{\infty}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex], then it is also a member of the set [tex]C_{0}\left(\left[a,b\right]\right)[/tex].

So how does proving it for [tex]C_{1}[/tex] prove it for the [tex]C_{\infty}[/tex] case if [tex]C_{1}\subset C_{\infty}[/tex]?

Ok, yeah, please ignore what I wrote...I'm not thinking so clearly. Heh. Thanks Vid...

What is convergence in mathematical proofs?

Convergence in mathematical proofs refers to the idea that a sequence or series of numbers approaches a specific value as the number of terms increases. This specific value is known as the limit of the sequence or series.

What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence occurs when a series or sequence converges regardless of the order in which the terms are arranged. On the other hand, conditional convergence occurs when the order of the terms in a series or sequence affects whether it converges or not.

What is the Cauchy criterion for convergence?

The Cauchy criterion states that a sequence converges if and only if for any small number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n and m greater than or equal to N, the absolute value of the difference between the nth and mth terms is less than ε.

What is the ratio test for convergence?

The ratio test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. It states that if the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms in a series is less than 1, then the series converges. If the limit is greater than 1, the series diverges, and if the limit is equal to 1, the test is inconclusive.

How is the concept of convergence used in real-world applications?

The concept of convergence is used in various real-world applications, such as in predicting stock prices, analyzing data trends, and designing efficient algorithms. It also plays a crucial role in physics and engineering, where it is used to determine the behavior of systems over time and to make predictions about their future states.