Finding Initial Velocity and Direction of a Ball in Free Fall

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the initial velocity and direction of a ball kicked from point A, using energy conservation and equations of motion. It is suggested to use another method to solve the problem and to memorize four equations for similar problems.
kasse
A ball is shot out from a point A with initial velocity v. If it goes 55 meters in 4.4 seconds before it lands, what was the initial velocity and in what direction was the ball kicked?

I first find the initial velocity in x-direction: 12.5 m/s. Then I use energy conservation in z-direction to find an expression for the max height of the ball: v^2(initial in z-direction)/(2g)

This equals v(initial in z-direction)*t + (1/2)a*t^2.

But I don't get the correct answer. Where's my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method thus far is correct. I can only assume that you have incorrectly solved for vz.

As an aside this isn't entirely a free-fall problem.

Last edited:
kasse said:
A ball is shot out from a point A with initial velocity v. If it goes 55 meters in 4.4 seconds before it lands, what was the initial velocity and in what direction was the ball kicked?

I'll Suggest another method to solve this. If the ball landed after 4.4 seconds, how long did it take to reach it's maximum height? Can you use that information to find the initial vz?

Yeah, that was easy, thanks!

I'm going to have a small test soon. Is it enough to memorize these two equations for this kind of problems?

1) v = v0 + at
2) s = s0 + v0t + (1/2)at2

or do I need more equations?

kasse said:
Yeah, that was easy, thanks!

I'm going to have a small test soon. Is it enough to memorize these two equations for this kind of problems?

1) v = v0 + at
2) s = s0 + v0t + (1/2)at2

or do I need more equations?

There are 2 more:

3) [tex]
v^2 = v_0^2 + 2a(s-s_0)
[/tex]

4) [tex]
\frac{v+v_0}{2}= \frac{s-s_0}{t}
[/tex]

This last equation is just a statement about average velocity. It is omitted in some (many?) textbooks, but is just as useful as the others.

What is the formula for finding initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall?

The formula for finding initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall is v = gt, where v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time elapsed. This formula assumes that the ball is dropped from rest and is not affected by air resistance.

What is the difference between initial velocity and initial direction?

Initial velocity refers to the speed and direction at which an object is launched or dropped. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude (speed) and direction. Initial direction, on the other hand, refers to the specific angle or direction at which the object is launched or dropped. It is a scalar quantity that only includes the angle or direction, not the magnitude.

How can I measure the initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall?

One way to measure the initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall is by using a photogate timer and a motion sensor. The photogate timer measures the time it takes for the ball to pass through a light beam, and the motion sensor measures the position of the ball at different intervals. By using these measurements, you can calculate the initial velocity and direction of the ball.

What factors can affect the initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall?

The initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall can be affected by various factors, such as air resistance, the shape and weight of the ball, and the angle at which it is launched. These factors can alter the acceleration due to gravity and the trajectory of the ball, resulting in a different initial velocity and direction.

How is the initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall related to its final velocity and direction?

According to the laws of motion, the initial velocity and direction of a ball in free fall will remain constant unless acted upon by an external force, such as air resistance. Therefore, the final velocity and direction of the ball will be the same as the initial velocity and direction, assuming there is no air resistance or other external forces acting on the ball.