Higgs Boson Decay Ratio: Mass or Mass Squared?

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of the partial widths of the decay of the Higgs boson into the bound state of b quark and b anti quark and c quark and C anti quark. The disagreement between the two individuals revolves around whether the ratio should be of the masses or the masses squared. One individual argues that the amplitude is proportional to the partial width and the mass is proportional to the coupling, resulting in a ratio of masses. The other individual argues that there may be another factor of coupling involved, leading to a ratio of masses squared. Eventually, they come to the conclusion that the width is related to the modulus square of the amplitude, thus resulting in a ratio of masses squared.
Barny

Homework Statement

What is the ratio of the partial widths of the decay of the Higgs boson into the bound state of b quark and b anti quark and c quark and C anti quark

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Me and my friend disagree on the answer. I believe it should be the ratio of the masses of the particles and my friend believes it should be the ratio of the masses squared.

My reasoning is if you construct a Feynman diagram for this process then there is only one vertex and therefore one factor of coupling in the amplitude. The amplitude is proportional to the partial width and the mass is proportional to the coupling - therefore with everything else being constant the ratio results in the ratio of masses.

Their argument is that I'm missing a vertex from my diagram and you can't just have a Higgs boson propogate and decay without something creating it first. Hence another factor of the coupling would be introduced and by a similar argument you'd result in a ratio of mass squared.

Suffice to say were both abit confused. Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
but the width is related to the modulus square of the amplitude, hence square of the masses. right?

Last edited:
yup, your right. Had one of those "thats what i was doing wrong" moments this morning. Cheers for your reply.

Barny said:
yup, your right. Had one of those "thats what i was doing wrong" moments this morning. Cheers for your reply.

that sometimes happens :-)

Now, good luck!

What is the Higgs Boson Decay Ratio?

The Higgs Boson Decay Ratio is a measurement used to determine the probability of a Higgs Boson particle decaying into other particles. It is an important factor in understanding the properties of the Higgs Boson and its role in the standard model of particle physics.

How is the Higgs Boson Decay Ratio calculated?

The Higgs Boson Decay Ratio is calculated by dividing the number of observed Higgs Boson decays by the total number of Higgs Boson particles produced in a given experiment.

Is the Higgs Boson Decay Ratio affected by mass or mass squared?

The Higgs Boson Decay Ratio is affected by both the mass and mass squared of the Higgs Boson. The mass of the Higgs Boson determines the strength of its interactions, while the mass squared affects the probability of the Higgs Boson decaying into certain particles.

What is the significance of the Higgs Boson Decay Ratio?

The Higgs Boson Decay Ratio is significant because it provides important information about the properties of the Higgs Boson and its role in the standard model of particle physics. It also helps to confirm the existence of the Higgs Boson and its predicted interactions with other particles.

How does the Higgs Boson Decay Ratio contribute to our understanding of the universe?

By measuring the Higgs Boson Decay Ratio, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and particles that make up our universe. It also helps to validate and refine the standard model of particle physics, which is essential for our understanding of the universe at a subatomic level.