Photons and neutrons [Pseudo-science warning]

In summary: So far, we don't know of any way to replace a neutron with a photon. In summary, the conversation discusses a fictional character named "Quick" who has the ability to move at incredibly high speeds in a pseudoscientific universe. The character is described as being of pure energy and gains his power from a photonic boom. The conversation then delves into a discussion about the plausibility of this power and the potential for using photons to replace neutrons in atoms. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the difficulty of applying scientific principles to a fictional world.
Gemstone
Before you go on: I had no idea were to actually post this, as I found no other good forums on the net where you could discuss physics. If a mood locks or moves this topic, I fully understand. Please don't flame the thread though. Leave that to the mods :)

After playing the game Mutants and Masterminds yesterday, a friend of me started a discussion of me regarding the character "Quick", who's able to move at speeds of 4000 kph (2500 mph).

Now, these things are true about the character in the pseud-scientific universe we play in:
  • He's described as being of pure energy
  • He gained the ability to move at such speeds from a photonic boom (a stream of photons hitting each other at an exact angle near him)
  • He has the potential to move near the speed of light ( c ), but hasn't moved faster than 25 000 kph this far)

We discussed, through our small scientific knowledge, how this could be possible and I proposed the following idea:

Neutrons have an electric charge of 0 (or at least approaching 0 as far as I know) and could thus be replaced by photons (as they too have an electric charge of 0). This would occur when the photons of the "photonic boom" hit at a precise angle nearby and thus swallowing him in the stream and replacing his neutrons with photons.

This would allow the photons to grab the protons and the electrons surrounding them and push them into a high speed movement. The atomic forces should prove resistant enough to keep the atoms themselves togheter at such "low" speeds as 4 000 kph, altough higher speeds could prove a problem.

Now, what we couldn't even get our minds around, is how such a thing would even be possible! So I'm looking for some suggestions, input and comments about the idea in general.

Other explanations are of course welcome too, if you can whip up something that's much better than mine (which problably made some of you cry and want to ban me from this forum :)).

Physics news on Phys.org
Heh. I've got my M&M book right here beside me...

I doubt you'll get much of an answer here, as this kind of thing requires a tremendous level of woo-woo handwaving and suspension of disbelief.

Try http://www.herogames.com/forums/. Hero Gamers looove to look at the nuts & bolts of characters.

Welcome to PF, Gemstone.
As Dave said, this is outside of the boundaries of science. On the other hand, I understand your desire to achieve some scientific authenticity in your fictional world. I read and write science fiction, and I want my science to be believeable. Bottom line is, you pretty much have to forget it. You can come up with some stuff that will fake out non-scientists (which a lot of charlatans do for profit), but it will never be real.
I just realized what time it is; I'm off duty and must close up shop. Will resume this ASAP (but it might be a while; W has supper waiting).

Gemstone said:
Now, these things are true about the character in the pseud-scientific universe we play in:
  • He's described as being of pure energy
  • He gained the ability to move at such speeds from a photonic boom (a stream of photons hitting each other at an exact angle near him)
  • He has the potential to move near the speed of light ( c ), but hasn't moved faster than 25 000 kph this far)
The first point: if he is made of "pure energy," this implies that he is made up of light, or at least made up of a field (electric field, magnetic field, strong nuclear field, etc). Anyway if he is made up of light, then he must travel at the speed of light, and nothing else.

Other than that, since it is not science, then "anything goes." No one is right or wrong if it is all made up anyway.

Chi Meson said:
The first point: if he is made of "pure energy," this implies that he is made up of light, or at least made up of a field (electric field, magnetic field, strong nuclear field, etc). Anyway if he is made up of light, then he must travel at the speed of light, and nothing else.

Other than that, since it is not science, then "anything goes." No one is right or wrong if it is all made up anyway.
He's described as being as being of pure energy, which implies he could be partial energy and just looks like being energy.

Let me ask the question then, would it be possible to bind photons into an atom? what kind of forces would that require?

Gemstone said:
He's described as being as being of pure energy, which implies he could be partial energy and just looks like being energy.

Let me ask the question then, would it be possible to bind photons into an atom? what kind of forces would that require?
Well, atoms absorb photons all the time, the energy of which goes into either exciting the electrons into higher orbitals or into kinetic energy of any molecular bonds. But that's pretty run-of-the-mill.

DaveC426913 said:
Well, atoms absorb photons all the time, the energy of which goes into either exciting the electrons into higher orbitals or into kinetic energy of any molecular bonds. But that's pretty run-of-the-mill.
now that's called idiocy from my part. was I did mean to ask is: is there any know state were a photon can replace a neutron at all? Seeing how they share electrical charge

Gemstone said:
now that's called idiocy from my part. was I did mean to ask is: is there any know state were a photon can replace a neutron at all? Seeing how they share electrical charge
Neutron have additional properties, like mass, spin, weak charge, and they are made up of quarks which are themselves electrically charged. Not very easi to find anything suitable for your purposes.

What are photons and neutrons?

Photons are particles of light that have no mass and travel at the speed of light. They are the fundamental units of electromagnetic radiation. Neutrons are subatomic particles that have a mass similar to protons, but no electric charge. They are found in the nucleus of atoms.

How are photons and neutrons related?

Photons and neutrons are both types of particles that make up the building blocks of matter. However, they have different properties and behave differently. Photons are associated with electromagnetic radiation, while neutrons are part of the nucleus of atoms.

Can photons and neutrons be created or destroyed?

Photons and neutrons cannot be created or destroyed, but they can be converted into other forms of energy. For example, photons can be absorbed by matter and converted into heat, and neutrons can undergo nuclear reactions and turn into different elements.

What is the difference between real and pseudo-science when it comes to photons and neutrons?

Real science is based on empirical evidence, rigorous experimentation, and peer-reviewed research. Pseudo-science, on the other hand, makes claims that are not supported by scientific evidence and often lacks a solid theoretical framework. When it comes to photons and neutrons, pseudo-science may make unfounded claims about their properties and abilities.

What practical applications do photons and neutrons have?

Photons and neutrons have many practical applications in various fields, including medicine, energy production, and communication. For example, photons are used in medical imaging techniques such as X-rays and MRI scans, while neutrons are used in nuclear power plants to produce energy. Photons are also used in fiber optics for high-speed communication.