Strange Behaviour of Aluminium in Liquid Nitrogen

In summary: This sudden increase in noise intensity is due to the sudden change in the aluminum's lattice structure at this temperature. While it may seem strange, this behavior is a natural result of the properties of aluminum and liquid nitrogen.
Albatross
i was doing an experiment with liquid nitrogen, i had to put an aluminium body initially at room temperature inside a glass with the nitrogen at 77K, first it starts making a loud noise then a lower noise that is slowly increasing and finally near the equilibrium point the noise gets strangley very very loud almost instantaneously and then stops in about a second. Maybe it's something stupid, i found it as a strange behaviour and i can't explain it, someone told me that maybe the lattice of aluminium changes at that temperature, but i don't like it, i find strange that the intensity increases and then near equilibrium instantaneously increases a lot. can someone explain that? thanks

my english is very bad, I'm sorry for that =P

Physics news on Phys.org
The loud noise you heard is a result of the rapid expansion of the aluminum as it cools to the temperature of the liquid nitrogen. As the aluminum cools, it contracts and creates an area of low pressure in the surrounding air. This low pressure causes air molecules to rush in to fill the space created, resulting in the loud noise. As the aluminum cools further, the rate of expansion slows and the noise becomes lower and less frequent. Near the equilibrium point, when the aluminum has cooled to the temperature of the liquid nitrogen, it will expand rapidly again as it comes into equilibrium with the nitrogen, creating the final loud noise.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It is not uncommon for different materials to exhibit strange behavior when exposed to extreme temperatures, such as liquid nitrogen. In the case of aluminum, it is known to have a low thermal expansion coefficient, meaning that it does not expand or contract significantly when exposed to extreme temperatures. However, at extremely low temperatures, the lattice structure of aluminum can undergo changes, causing it to expand or contract suddenly, which could explain the loud noises you heard during your experiment.

Additionally, the sudden increase in noise near the equilibrium point could be due to the formation of small cracks or fractures within the aluminum body, as the extreme temperature change can cause stress on the material. This can also explain why the noise stopped in about a second, as the cracks may have stabilized at that point.

It is always important to carefully handle and observe materials when conducting experiments with extreme temperatures, as they can behave in unexpected ways. I hope this explanation helps to clarify the strange behavior you observed.

What causes aluminium to exhibit strange behaviour in liquid nitrogen?

The strange behaviour of aluminium in liquid nitrogen is due to the extremely low temperature of the liquid nitrogen. At -196°C, the aluminium undergoes a phase change and becomes superconductive, meaning that it has zero electrical resistance and can conduct electricity without any energy loss.

What is the significance of aluminium's superconductivity in liquid nitrogen?

This phenomenon has important practical applications in fields such as electrical engineering and medical imaging. It allows for more efficient and powerful electrical systems, as well as the development of advanced technologies like magnetic levitation trains.

Can other metals exhibit similar behaviour in liquid nitrogen?

Yes, other metals such as copper, gold, and silver can also become superconductive in liquid nitrogen. However, the critical temperature at which this occurs varies for each metal, with aluminium having one of the highest critical temperatures at -196°C.

What happens if aluminium is exposed to liquid nitrogen for an extended period of time?

If aluminium is left in liquid nitrogen for a prolonged period, it can become brittle and lose its superconductivity. This is due to the formation of a layer of nitrogen gas bubbles on the surface of the metal, which decreases its ability to conduct electricity.

Is it safe to handle liquid nitrogen and aluminium together?

No, caution should be taken when handling liquid nitrogen and aluminium together. The extreme cold temperature of liquid nitrogen can cause severe burns if it comes into contact with skin, and the rapid evaporation of the liquid nitrogen can create a blast of cold air that can displace oxygen and cause asphyxiation. Proper safety precautions and protective gear should always be used when handling liquid nitrogen.