Finding Solace in Favourite Quotes: Escaping Despair with Words of Wisdom

• Thread starter quddusaliquddus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about sharing favorite quotes. Some of the mentioned quotes were from famous people like Maynard James Keenan, Robin Williams, Friedrich Nietzsche, and Lao Tzu. Other quotes were from movies like The Godfather and The Fugitive. Some were humorous, some were thought-provoking, and some were just silly. The conversation also touched on the topic of mistakes and the English language. Overall, the conversation was a mix of humor and insightful thoughts.
  • #1,016
jobyts said:
More than one Mouse is Mice
More than one Spouse is ...
Ivan Seeking said:
Mormon
Mormon Spice? Which Spice Girl was that?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,017
Borg said:
Mormon Spice? Which Spice Girl was that?

The one wearing the long underwear.

• #1,018
This is a pretty good thing to remind teenagers of:
Kids in the back seat cause accidents. Accidents in the back seat cause kids.

• #1,019
Something or other on the TV brought this one to mind yesterday. Warren Oates in "Blue Thunder"—If you're walking on eggs, don't hop.

• #1,020
I have eaten animal flesh and I have enjoyed it! What is wrong with me?
- Spock

• #1,021
"If this man had a funeral home, no one would die!" Wall Street, (movie)

• #1,022
«By three methods we may learn wisdom: first, by reflection, which is noblest; second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third, by experience, which is the bitterest»
attributed to K'ung Fu-tzu

• #1,023
I never thought of this as a "quote", since it doesn't come from any famous source, but I live by it. I have, in fact, used it at the recess point of a dispute with a friend. Some background for it, though, to explain why it means so much to me.
My father was a preacher (none of that hellfire-and-brimstone bible school crap; he came out of McGill in 1927 with Masters in "Religious Studies", which nowadays is classified as "Theology". He was an agnostic. Together, we got mandatory religious education kicked out of the Ontario school system.
Anyhow, his two best friends down there were a screwy little Welsh dude who was the United Church pastor about 100 metres from our place—the entire community consisted of 2 churches, 2 cemetaries, a kindergarten, 5 houses, and a garbageload of orchards—and a severely religious Anglican priest. (My dad was Unitarian-Universalist, but Agnostic nonetheless.) John, the United Church dude, thought so much like my old man that they traded audiences (alright, congregations :rolleyes:) in summer. We'd go on vacation, and dad's flock would go over to John's place. When we got back, John and his wife would bugger off, and his crew came over to listen to dad. Such did not occur with the priest, but they loved razzing each other for hours on end.
So, to make a long story short (and yes, I know that it's far too late for that), the priest came up with some sort of terminal cancer. My dad made a point of visiting him in the hospital at least once a day, and even then they were scrapping in their usual friendly manner. One day, though, he decided that enough was enough and packed it in. The last thing that he said before he died was to my dad, and it's my favourite motto to this day:
I would rather argue with an intelligent man than have a fool agree with me.

This is a very long thread, and I have a very short memory, so if I've already posted the forgoing I beg your forgiveness for repetition. (I know that I related it somewhere on PF, but I can't remember where.) I simply can't read through the whole damned thing to check on it.

Last edited:
  • #1,024
Danger said:
I never thought of this as a "quote", since it doesn't come from any famous source, but I live by it. I have, in fact, used it at the recess point of a dispute with a friend. Some background for it, though, to explain why it means so much to me.
My father was a preacher (none of that hellfire-and-brimstone bible school crap; he came out of McGill in 1927 with Masters in "Religious Studies", which nowadays is classified as "Theology". He was an agnostic. Together, we got mandatory religious education kicked out of the Ontario school system.
Anyhow, his two best friends down there were a screwy little Welsh dude who was the United Church pastor about 100 metres from our place—the entire community consisted of 2 churches, 2 cemetaries, a kindergarten, 5 houses, and a garbageload of orchards—and a severely religious Anglican priest. (My dad was Unitarian-Universalist, but Agnostic nonetheless.) John, the United Church dude, thought so much like my old man that they traded audiences (alright, congregations :rolleyes:) in summer. We'd go on vacation, and dad's flock would go over to John's place. When we got back, John and his wife would bugger off, and his crew came over to listen to dad. Such did not occur with the priest, but they loved razzing each other for hours on end.
So, to make a long story short (and yes, I know that it's far too late for that), the priest came up with some sort of terminal cancer. My dad made a point of visiting him in the hospital at least once a day, and even then they were scrapping in their usual friendly manner. One day, though, he decided that enough was enough and packed it in. The last thing that he said before he died was to my dad, and it's my favourite motto to this day:
I would rather argue with an intelligent man than have a fool agree with me.

This is a very long thread, and I have a very short memory, so if I've already posted the forgoing I beg your forgiveness for repetition. (I know that I related it somewhere on PF, but I can't remember where.) I simply can't read through the whole damned thing to check on it.

Great story Danger - Thanks for sharing it with us! I like that quote a lot!

• #1,025
All I know is that I know nothing.

• #1,026
"don't just learn the tricks of the trade..learn the trade."

"I am dead." :biggrin:

• #1,027
By collinsmark:
You can only be young once. But you can be immature for a lifetime.

• #1,028
"Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis" = "Unencumbered by the Thought Process."

from Conloquium currus :biggrin:

Personally, it's not my favorite show, and I generally don't listen to it.

• #1,029
"Fox news generally leans more to the right than a guy who's just had his right leg blown off".

- Charlie Brooker

• #1,030
All I know is that G037H3 knows nothing.

What? Oh, sorry. I thought this was the PFRT thread.

• #1,031
"Talkative tailors yarn on until the end of twine."

• #1,032
Stephen Hawking is THE most stubborn man in the entire universe!
- Leonard Susskind

• #1,034
"The difference between a skeptic and a cynic is that, when confronted with something too good to be true, the skeptic says it isn't really true and the cynic says it isn't really good."

- Sydney J. Harris

• #1,035
skeptic2 said:
"The difference between a skeptic and a cynic is that, when confronted with something too good to be true, the skeptic says it isn't really true and the cynic says it isn't really good."

- Sydney J. Harris

I'm guessing you belong to the first category?

• #1,036
The lights of stars that were extinguished ages ago still reaches us. So it is with great men who died centuries ago, but still reach us with the radiations of their personalities.

- Kahlil Gibran

• #1,037
(I should of read the rest of these quotes b4 posting).

If the day comes when science can give us whatever we want, what ever we can imagine, than the beings with this power will have only one fear, when it goes away.

• #1,038
one day the world will wake up and say "OH, THAT'S WHAT DEMOCRITUS FOUND SO FUNNY!"

• #1,039
It would just be hilarious if som1 was given at the beginning of known time all the secrets of the universe were given and then the person said- "NO! THAT'S CRAZY! I WANT TO FIND THIS OUT FOR MYSELF! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" And the person walked off and history began as we knew it. Where the theory for the ego would only begin from that moment, preventing knowledge to accelerate for thousands and hopefully millions of years after the ego is discovered and then completely understood and technology began moving forward. (as in now)

Last edited:
  • #1,040
Ivan Seeking said:
Neurotics build castles in the sky
Psychotics live in them
Psychiatrists collect the rent
- The Lathe of Heaven

And theoretical physicists try to make bridges from the castles back to the ground.

• #1,041
I don't know if this is a quote or irony but,

"The Greeks were on the brink of getting calculus's Limits, and then the Romans came and ruined their knowledge. The possibilities to have that kind of a "jump start" in today's world really leaves a lot to wounder. But what what the Romans taught the Greeks was the first step in quantum mechanics, weather knew it or not. (:biggrin:) The experimenter, the Greeks, are no longer the observer to world but a part of it. And the result, was utter catastrophe." And when applying quantum mechanics in reality as you know it, paranoia is a real feeling, where more or less to say in an ironic quote,

"The paranoia one feels when studying and learning about quantum mechanics, is the fear of the possible alternate universe of ghosts of the Romans &or another civilization coming in and ruining it."

Last edited:
  • #1,042
Don't think about the constant of time when you're running. Or you'll begin to think about every "thing" else...

• #1,043
Originally Posted by twofish-quant
On the other hand, being a crackpot isn't necessarily a bad thing. The only difference between a genius and a lunatic is that the genius can turn off the voices when he needs to. Original post-> https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2506251&postcount=9

Than what happens when you ask the voices about where did they come from?
~~~
Always make sure you win all the arguments in your head, and read about alternate universes with reasonable caution, the rest outside your head are debatable in the terms of importance.

Last edited:
  • #1,044
There are two words that describe our problems in the Afghanistan war: "Pakistan", and "corruption in Afghanistan". - Senator Lindsey Graham

The meaning was clear but it struck me as funny. You could see a brief state of confusion wash over after he said it.

• #1,045
rewebster said:
“If only.

Those must be the two saddest words in the world.”

Mercedes Lackey

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/if-only-those-must-be-the-two-saddest-words-in/411761.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The very beginning and the end are very simmilar, all you can say is "OH YEAH, IT HAPPENED" ,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quantum physics takes an easy approach of "if" and "only", and replaces "only" with "if" and "if" with "only".

("only if") or in other words, "the words of a spiraling chaos"

• #1,046
There is a very strange thought about the future, the past, feeling and relativity that only lingers hauntingly to sanity and philosophy, it also goes with the quantum nature of electrons, dreams and visions.

When you make a time capsule and think "what if you met ______ from the future and they and or (it) ______" and you realize that you are only thinking of meeting yourself in some way. In other words, feeling yourself, when you're not feeling your(self) at all. Than (it) said, "hi there, you have been wasting your time your entire life, this other person has been working on the identical thing you have, and you've just been unaware of it. I can't tell you anything else, or it'll distort the time stream. But, due to relativity, you'll safely be able to have this conversation with me."

Immediately I bet you might feel like saying "well why don't you, which is a such of me, tell me to improve the past, so that you, as a such of me, have a better future?"

Than the one which is a such of you grins and says "Ah but I already have, and I have not. In which, you have to forget this in order to remain sane and for me, which is you, to exist in the future. For you already know this, almost faintly, not know this. This is very reason why we met."

Replying "Wait, how?..?"

"I felt you were needing readiness to leave, so in order to understand what is necessary to leave, you must be almost about to leave, than understand the first steps to begin"

"Are you saying that...?"

"Yes, I have improved your life already, merely, by being here, where by, you need to forget this ever happened. Just faintly, so that I, which is you, to exist"

"wait, before I forget what just happened almost, can I ask one question?"

"sure, any question you which is I, can answer"

"what is fiction?"

"what is"

"WHAT?!"

*future self smiles.

"And what's why you needed to forget, unless you are willing to remember."

"But wait.. (puts all the quantum logic all together in their mind) than in this paradimed reality we live in, that means that are I...?"

"Do you need to ask another question?"

"Yes, and wow, you do need to sound like a computer. when talking to the past Constantly telling ourselves not to go into the future but what is around us, is constantly telling us to do so?"

"Yes from the world. No from you, which is I."

The future self only seems like a dream and you move on faintly remembering it. And the future self exists in the future, and the past self exists in the past. Allowing all the laws of physics to do so.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
When physics is over, we will be in the world of plato's logic. XD

Last edited:
  • #1,047
Ivan Seeking said:
There are two words that describe our problems in the Afghanistan war: "Pakistan", and "corruption in Afghanistan". - Senator Lindsey Graham

The meaning was clear but it struck me as funny. You could see a brief state of confusion wash over after he said it.

That reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePwrmKxq6Os&feature=related" The relevant part is about 1:28 until the 2:00 mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,048
What are my feelings?? I'm a physicist, not a hippie! - Sheldon

• #1,049
Ivan Seeking said:
What are my feelings?? I'm a physicist, not a hippie! - Sheldon

:rofl:

• #1,050
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

Albert Einstein