Checking Voltage Drop while Supplying 6A Current

In summary, the conversation discusses using a voltmeter to measure battery voltage while supplying a current of 6A, and determining the current flow through a headlight in a parallel circuit with a given resistance. The formula for Req is corrected in the attempt at a solution.
mares0909

Homework Statement

You would like to check if the battery voltage drops while it is supplying a current of 6A. You use a voltmeter designed to measure voltages up to 20V and having a resistance of 50,000 Ohms.
See attachment****

This connection is in series so V= I (R1+R2)
V / (R1+R2) = I
12 / (2+ 50000) = I
2.39E-4 = I

How much current (in A) would flow through the headlight for Circuit b?

The connection is in parallel so Req = (1/ R1 + 1/R2)
Req = (1/2 + 1/50000) = .50002

I = V / R
I = 12 / .50002
I= 23.99

Homework Equations

I want to check if what I have done is right.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is right bellow the questions.

Thanks

Attachments

• phy.jpg
    phy.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
You have your formula for Req wrong.

It should be 1/Req= (1/R1 + 1/R2)

So, Req = 1.99992.

for providing your equations and calculations. It appears that you have approached the problem correctly and your calculations are accurate. To confirm your results, you may want to double check your calculations and make sure you have accounted for all variables and units correctly. Additionally, you may want to consider conducting a physical experiment to measure the voltage drop and current flow in the circuit to validate your calculations. Overall, your approach and results seem sound and in line with the goal of checking for voltage drop while supplying a current of 6A. Good job!

1. What is voltage drop and why is it important to check while supplying 6A current?

Voltage drop is the decrease in voltage that occurs when current flows through a wire or circuit. It is important to check voltage drop while supplying 6A current because excessive voltage drop can lead to underpowered and potentially dangerous electrical systems.

2. How do you measure voltage drop while supplying 6A current?

To measure voltage drop, you will need a digital multimeter. Connect the meter in parallel across the load, and then measure the voltage across the load. The difference between the input voltage and the voltage across the load is the voltage drop.

3. What is an acceptable voltage drop while supplying 6A current?

An acceptable voltage drop while supplying 6A current is typically around 0.5 volts or less. However, this can vary depending on the specific system and its components. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the acceptable voltage drop for your particular system.

4. What are the potential causes of excessive voltage drop while supplying 6A current?

Excessive voltage drop can be caused by factors such as wire size, length of the wire, and the quality of the connections. Other potential causes include overloading the circuit, poor grounding, and damaged or aging wires.

5. How can I reduce voltage drop while supplying 6A current?

To reduce voltage drop, you can increase the wire size, shorten the length of the wire, and ensure that all connections are clean and secure. Additionally, avoiding overloading the circuit and using high-quality wires can also help reduce voltage drop.