Exploring the Risks of the Large Hadron Collider

In summary, the popular books on physics suggest that when the LHC goes on this summer we might accidentally create a black hole and destroy the planet. But physicists know what they are doing and the LHC will not destroy the Earth. Otherwise claims are simple displays of scientific misunderstandings.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm afraid you're "rong".

Temperature is not energy. If it takes 7 TeV of energy to create an object, it takes 7 TeV of energy to create an object.

Orion1 said:

theallknower, I believe that you are not "corect", what you have quoted is called a 'Logical Fallacy'.

I calculated the temperature,using the formula for the temperature of a black hole,found in Stephen Hawking's book: "the universe in a nut shell",and it goes like this:
T=(plank's reduced constant*c^3)/8pi*K*G*M,

where:c=the speed of light
k=boltzmann's constant
G=Newton's gravitational constant
M=the mass of the black hole(in this case,of 2 protons that weight as much as two Pb atoms,so put in 2 Pb atoms,AND,don't forget to convert those 14 TeV into mass(matter and energy are the same thing),and very important,in kilograms)

use only SI units,and you will reach my calculation,if I was "corect" :)

I asume a reference is required,but I don't know who developed this formula,so I'll just make a reference to the book I named earlier in the post and www.wikipedia.org ,for the exact(almost exact) values in the formula

Physics news on Phys.org

theallknower said:
use only SI units,and you will reach my calculation,if I was "corect"

I'm afraid not. Plugging numbers into equations without understanding where they come from is very error prone. That's why physics academic programs spend a lot of time doing these derivations.

Temperature is not energy. If it takes 7 TeV of energy to create an object, it takes 7 TeV of energy to create an object.

The reason you're expecting to see such a high temperature is not too far from what Hawking radiation predicts.

Essentially if Hawking is correct, a microscopic black hole should glow like a tiny supernova and then explode.

As V50 said, understanding what the math is describing is very important.

Math is a tool, trying to use a hammer without knowing what it does isn't very illuminating.

Orion1 said:

Quantum black hole mass of a (4+n)-dimensional black hole:
[tex]m(n) = \frac{m_p}{\sqrt{\pi}} \left[ \frac{E_{BH}}{E_p} \left( \frac{8 \Gamma\left(\frac{n+3}{2} \right)}{n+2} \right) \right] ^{\frac{1}{n+1}}[/tex]
[tex]E_{BH} = 14 \; \text{Tev}[/tex]

Planck mass quantum black hole Hawking radiation evaporation time:
[tex]t_{ev} = \frac{5120 \pi G^2 m_p^3}{\hbar c^4}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{t_{ev} = 8.671 \cdot 10^{-40} \; \text{s}}[/tex]

(4+n)-dimensional quantum black hole Hawking radiation evaporation time:
[tex]t(n)_{ev} = \frac{5120 \pi G^2}{\hbar c^4} \left( \frac{m_p}{\sqrt{\pi}} \left[ \frac{E_{BH}}{E_p} \left( \frac{8 \Gamma\left(\frac{n+3}{2} \right)}{n+2} \right) \right] ^{\frac{1}{n+1}} \right)^3 = \frac{5120 G^2 m_p^3}{\hbar c^4 \sqrt{\pi}} \left[ \frac{E_{BH}}{E_p} \left( \frac{8 \Gamma\left(\frac{n+3}{2} \right)}{n+2} \right) \right]^{\frac{3}{n+1}}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{t(n)_{ev} = \frac{5120 G^2 m_p^3}{\hbar c^4 \sqrt{\pi}} \left[ \frac{E_{BH}}{E_p} \left( \frac{8 \Gamma\left(\frac{n+3}{2} \right)}{n+2} \right) \right]^{\frac{3}{n+1}}}[/tex]

[tex]\boxed{t(10)_{ev} = 4.112 \cdot 10^{-49} \; \text{s} \; \; \; n = 10}[/tex]

Reference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVsZdgz5oFM"
https://edms.cern.ch/file/445830/5/Vol_1_Chapter_2.pdf"
http://nuclear.ucdavis.edu/~tgutierr/files/sml2.pdf" [Broken]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawking_radiation#Black_hole_evaporation"
http://www.wissensnavigator.ch/documents/OTTOROESSLERMINIBLACKHOLE.pdf" [Broken]

In the context of the recent event with the helium leakage, your calculations are very interesting. This could of produced the necessary background conditions that may of given us a degree of stability for MBH propagation.

Last edited by a moderator:
james77 said:
In the context of the recent event with the helium leakage, your calculations are very interesting. This could of produced the necessary background conditions that may of given us a degree of stability for MBH propagation.

What does the "helium leakage" have anything to do with MBH?

This thread is getting more ridiculous by the day.

Zz.

james77 said:

Perhaps you were thinking of a http://arxivblog.com/?p=645"?

One thing they’ve found is that it is possible to switch the force between atoms in certain kinds of BECs from positive to negative and back using a magnetic field, a phenomenon known as a Feschbach resonance.

But get this: in 2001, Elizabeth Donley and buddies at JILA in Boulder, Colorado, caused a BEC to explode by switching the forces like. These explosions have since become known as Bose supernovas.

Nobody is exactly sure how these explosions proceed which is a tad worrying for the following reason: some clever clogs has pointed out that superfluid helium is a BEC and that the LHC is swimming in 700,000 litres of the stuff. Not only that but the entire thing is bathed in some of the most powerful magnetic fields on the planet.​

But this stuff is far outside of what is http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.4004" [Broken] and doesn't have anything to do with MBH.

Last edited by a moderator:
helium leakage

ZapperZ said:
What does the "helium leakage" have anything to do with MBH?

He He He :biggrin:
This thread is getting more ridiculous by the day.

One black hole if by night, two black holes if by day. :wink:

RetardedBastard said:
Nobody is exactly sure how these explosions proceed which is a tad worrying for the following reason: some clever clogs has pointed out that superfluid helium is a BEC and that the LHC is swimming in 700,000 litres of the stuff. Not only that but the entire thing is bathed in some of the most powerful magnetic fields on the planet.

I wouldn't call them "clever clogs". (What's a clog anyway?) This argument is like saying swimming pools might explode because they contain immense quantities of hydrogen and oxygen together, and we all know that mixing hydrogen and oxygen can be explosive. The words are all right, but the order they are in indicates that they don't really understand what they are talking about.

ZapperZ, there is a collection of conspiracy theorists (I wonder what the collective noun for conspiracy theorists is - perhaps a knoll?) who believe that the LHC actually did produce a black hole on the 17th, that it lodged in the magnets of Sector 3-4 and everything you have heard is just a cover story. The fact that there is absolutely no evidence for this only encourages them - it must be a really good conspiracy. <sound of my head banging on the wall>

Vanadium 50 said:
ZapperZ, there is a collection of conspiracy theorists (I wonder what the collective noun for conspiracy theorists is - perhaps a knoll?) who believe that the LHC actually did produce a black hole on the 17th, that it lodged in the magnets of Sector 3-4 and everything you have heard is just a cover story. The fact that there is absolutely no evidence for this only encourages them - it must be a really good conspiracy. <sound of my head banging on the wall>

I'm no longer surprised by such stupidity. It seems that everyone with an internet access seems to think that what he/she thinks is valid regardless of the lack of evidence. This is exactly what is meant by Andrew Keen in his "Cult of the Amateur" book. People seem to no longer care on the nature of their source of information.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm no longer surprised by such stupidity. It seems that everyone with an internet access seems to think that what he/she thinks is valid regardless of the lack of evidence. This is exactly what is meant by Andrew Keen in his "Cult of the Amateur" book. People seem to no longer care on the nature of their source of information.

Zz.

Yeah, why don't we just disband all public forums about Science, this way all the professionals can talk themselves in serene, harmonious tones, in a place they assure me that there will of course be no disputes or arguments amongst this elite caste! Remember the mob pays for your salary in one form or another, so you have to learn to tolerate their backwardness nowadays, else they might get mad and, pull the plug.

james77 said:
Yeah, why don't we just disband all public forums about Science, this way all the professionals can talk themselves in serene, harmonious tones, in a place they assure me that there will of course be no disputes or arguments amongst this elite caste! Remember the mob pays for your salary in one form or another, so you have to learn to tolerate their backwardness nowadays, else they might get mad and, pull the plug.

What does the general public have anything to do with the stupidity being propagated by delusional individuals who concocted those conspiracy theory? Or are you their representative and lumping the general public with these crackpots?

Again, a major disconnect in logic seems to be your common trait, which, btw, you have failed to explain.

Zz.

Again, a major disconnect in logic seems to be your common trait, which, btw, you have failed to explain.

Zz.[/QUOTE]

I think solipsism is your defining trait. Your appeal to some desiccated form of logic, which must be right, because it has always been right before, is tautological nonsense, which is all the more amusing, when you consider many if the paradoxically states quantum theory throws up. It’s no wonder so few people have faith in what scientists say anymore, the know it all arrogance is as astounding as it is shocking, yet it amusing how often you guys screw up. The Helium leak was one such example.

james77 said:

Zz.

I think solipsism is your defining trait. Your appeal to some desiccated form of logic, which must be right, because it has always been right before, is tautological nonsense, which is all the more amusing, when you consider many if the paradoxically states quantum theory throws up. It’s no wonder so few people have faith in what scientists say anymore, the know it all arrogance is as astounding as it is shocking, yet it amusing how often you guys screw up. The Helium leak was one such example.

So few people have faith in what scientists say anymore? You do know that every time you fly in an airplane, you put your LIFE on the line based on what "scientists say".

The fact that "helium leakage" was never explained on how it has anything to do with "MBH" is a logical failure. You might as well argue that the full moon has something to do with it as well. There's no "desiccated form of logic" here. It is simply your failure to explain the PHYSICS of what you are connecting.

You should also consider having some of your own medicine. While you accuse me of belittling the general public that funds the work that scientists do (I did no such thing in that post), why don't you also consider that these scientists that you have very little respect for are very much responsible for your well-being and livelihood, including your ability to post your opinion on here.

This this has now degenerate into a "bash scientist" topic, I would presume that the issue of Black hole and the LHC is done.

Zz.