Differentiation of displacement and time to get velocity

In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of displacement and time to obtain velocity and acceleration equations for a moving body. The equation for displacement is simplified to s = 12 - 12e^-t, where t represents time in seconds. The derivative of a constant is 0 and the derivative of an exponential is -e^-t. The second derivative is -12e^-t. The conversation also discusses using logarithms to solve for time and the importance of understanding logarithm properties. The final result for the time at which the velocity of the body is 6 ms-1 is ln 2 seconds.
Ocis
[SOLVED] Differentiation of displacement and time to get velocity

A moving body is related to a fixed point by the displacement equation: s = 12( 1 - e^-t).
Assuming the body is moving in a straight line on a flat plain.

1. obtain an expression for the velocity after time t seconds.

2. obtain an expression for the acceleration also after t seconds

3. Calculate the time at which the velocity of the body is 6 ms-1.

So i know that s = v t. So v = s/ t and ds/dt = v

My attempt has gone round in circles because I am unsure of how exactly to differentiate it do I ignore the 12 first and diff. it, or times out the bracket then diff. it...? Too confused..

Physics news on Phys.org
Well to simplifiy s = 12 - 12e^(-t)

What if the derivative of a constant? What is the derivative of an exponential?

constant = 0 and derivative of an exponential would be - e ^-t so its just 12 e ^-t ?

I would agree.

but then to differentiate it a second time it becomes what - 12 e^-t ? how do I work out what the time is then for part 3. i would have e^-t = 6/12 ? I am stuck where to go from there how do I do it?

Last edited:
Do you know how to use logarithms?

I have in the past but am not overly keen on them. Would it be something along the lines of
-t log e = 6/12 and then 6 /12 log e = -t well that looks wrong, what else..?

e^-t = 6/12
-t log e = log(1/2) (taking the log on BOTH sides)
and since we know log e = 1 (when using base e, ie the 'ln' button on your calculator) and knowing that log(1/2) = -log(2), we get
t = ln 2

It might be a good time to remind yourself about all the properties of logarithms, as they are mucho important.

Yeah you are right, I do - many thanks. Is the second derivative right that i wrote earlier?

Yes it is right.

1. What is the relationship between displacement, time, and velocity?

The relationship between displacement, time, and velocity is described by the fundamental concept of differentiation. Displacement is the change in position of an object over time, while velocity is the rate of change of displacement over time. In other words, velocity is the derivative of displacement with respect to time.

2. How is differentiation used to find velocity?

Differentiation is used to find velocity by taking the derivative of the displacement-time function. This means finding the slope of the displacement-time graph at any given point, which represents the instantaneous velocity at that point.

3. Can differentiation be used to find average velocity?

Yes, differentiation can also be used to find average velocity. This is done by finding the average rate of change of displacement over a given time interval, which is equivalent to finding the slope of the secant line between two points on the displacement-time graph.

4. What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity refers to the velocity at a specific moment in time, while average velocity refers to the average rate of change of velocity over a given time interval. Instantaneous velocity can be found using differentiation, while average velocity is found using the average rate of change over a given interval.

5. What are the units for velocity, displacement, and time?

The units for velocity are typically meters per second (m/s), displacement is measured in meters (m), and time is measured in seconds (s). However, the units used may vary depending on the system of measurement being used.