What type of camera is needed for solar corona photography?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of photographing the solar corona and the necessary equipment needed to do so. It is mentioned that the type of camera is not the most important factor, but rather the telescope and filters used. The possibility of using a Coronado scope for sun viewing is also mentioned. The conversation also mentions the need for an object to block the light from the sun and the idea of building a coronagraph for a specific telescope. The conversation ends with the question of finding a suitable camera for the task.
Eleftheria
I want to photograph the solar corona and I don't know what type of ccd camera I need to purchase.

Can anyone please help me?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It isn't about the camera, it is about the telescope and filters you use. Coronado scopes are designed for viewing/imaging the sun: http://www.coronadofilters.com/

For the corona, I believe you will need to do your own installation of an object in the imaging train to block the light from the sun. That may be tricky and will probably require a scope with tracking.

Hello,
I only saw your reply yesterday russ_watters (Being Greek sometimes gives you the advantage of long summer vacation... :tongue2: )
You see the thing is that I had the task of building a coronagraph for a specific telescope.
I've checked the diameter of my occulting disk and all, and it seems that the coronagraph could work. The problem is that I must find a camera to take some images using my coronagraph and I have no idea what kind of camera is suitable.

1. What is solar corona photography?

Solar corona photography is the process of capturing images of the outermost layer of the Sun's atmosphere, known as the corona. This is only visible during a total solar eclipse or with specialized equipment during a solar eclipse or through the use of specialized filters.

2. Why is solar corona photography important?

Solar corona photography is important because it allows scientists to study the structure and behavior of the Sun's corona, which plays a crucial role in solar weather and space weather events. It also provides valuable information about the physical processes that occur in the Sun's atmosphere.

3. What equipment is needed for solar corona photography?

To capture images of the solar corona, you will need a telescope with a solar filter or a specialized solar telescope. You will also need a camera with a telephoto lens, a tripod, and a solar filter for the lens. It is important to never look directly at the Sun without proper eye protection.

4. When is the best time to photograph the solar corona?

The best time to photograph the solar corona is during a total solar eclipse when the Moon completely blocks out the Sun's bright disk, allowing the corona to be visible. It is also possible to photograph the corona during a partial solar eclipse, but it will not be as prominent.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when photographing the solar corona?

Yes, it is extremely important to never look directly at the Sun without proper eye protection. When photographing the solar corona, always use a solar filter on your lens to protect your camera and never point your camera directly at the Sun. It is also important to have proper eye protection for yourself and those around you.