Am I cut out to take grad/postgrad physics?

In summary, the speaker is currently taking their AS/A2 levels and finding it manageable with consistently high scores. However, they struggle with remembering old material and question if this is normal. The response is that it's common to forget when not regularly using the information and it's important to focus on understanding concepts rather than memorization. It's also mentioned that the ability to handle grad school will be determined later on, and it's important to explore and enjoy different subjects. The analogy of riding a bicycle is used to explain the need to refresh knowledge and add new skills.
joelio36
Hello.

I'm currently taking my AS/A2 levels (in the UK, its the course before Bsc/Msc). I am finding it ok, and have scored consistently high (80% being an A, with my averages around 90%).

Its not the work I'm struggling with, its rememembering old stuff!
Its 6 months since I last looked at the previous module, we don't need to, I am just trying to keep on top of things. I can remember most of it, but not all of it.

Is this the same or everyone or should I remember all of the course??
Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The "use it or lose it" rule applies here. It's pretty easy to forget stuff when you're not working with it on a regular basis. Of course, as you progress in your studies you'll find yourself returning to the fundamentals more and more. What's most important, I find, it that you develop a clear understanding of the concepts rather than memorizing them - that way you can apply them to new circumstances later on.

Whether or not you're cut out for grad school will be a conclusion you'll have to reach yourself towards the end of your undergraduate work. At this stage of the game, it's best just to figure out what kind of things your really enjoy studying.

It's like riding a bicycle, Once you had the knowledge to do it. You haven't done it in a couple of years, it's rusty like a mother****er and feels really awkward to boot. But when You get the rust off, get some new whistles and bells it's good to go.

Same in academia. I promise you.

1. Am I smart enough to pursue grad/postgrad physics?

Intelligence is just one aspect of being successful in grad/postgrad physics. Other important factors include hard work, dedication, and a strong passion for the subject. With the right mindset and determination, anyone can excel in this field.

2. Do I need to have a background in physics to pursue grad/postgrad physics?

While having a background in physics can certainly be helpful, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs offer bridge courses for students from different backgrounds to catch up on the necessary knowledge. It is more important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and a willingness to learn and adapt.

3. Can I pursue grad/postgrad physics if I struggled with physics in my undergraduate studies?

It is possible, but it will require a lot of hard work and determination. Graduate studies in physics are much more challenging and demanding than undergraduate studies, so it is important to be prepared to put in extra effort. Seek out resources such as tutoring or study groups to help you overcome your struggles.

4. How much time and commitment is required for grad/postgrad physics?

Graduate studies in physics require a significant amount of time and commitment. This can vary depending on the program and individual, but on average, students can expect to spend at least 40-50 hours per week on coursework, research, and studying. It is important to be prepared to make sacrifices and prioritize your studies.

5. What kind of career opportunities are available after completing grad/postgrad physics?

A degree in physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities, including research positions in academia, government labs, and private industries. Other potential career paths include teaching, engineering, data analysis, and finance. It is important to research and network to find the career path that best aligns with your interests and goals.