Another political discussion

• Thread starter humanino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Discussion
In summary: Ballot-Voting Problem". It states that in an election where two candidates, Ivanhoe and Isaac, are competing for the position of captain, with P and Q votes respectively (where P>Q), what is the probability that Ivanhoe will lead throughout the entire voting process? This problem has various solutions, including a geometric proof and a solution using the "Andre's reflection principle". The problem is also known as a "generalized" version, and the solution can be found online. In summary, the Ballot Problem is a well-known probability problem that asks for the probability of one candidate leading throughout an election process between two candidates.
humanino
Ivanhoe and Isaac became pirates a long time ago. Both of them run for the position of captain. Everybody slips his envelop in the box one after the other. Ivanhoe receives P votes, and Isaac receives Q votes. Assuming P>Q, what is the probability for Ivanhoe to lead during the entire voting process ?

If for instance the P votes for him have all been slipped first, he was clearly ahead the whole time. If the very first pirate voted for Isaac, then Ivanhoe was not ahead at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Partial results.
If q = 0, then the probability is 1
If q = 1, then the probability is (p - 1) / (p + 1) because Ivanhoe must receive the first two votes, and after that it doesn't matter when the 1 vote for Isaac occurs. The probability of Ivanhoe receiving the first two votes is:
(p / p + q) (p - 1)/(p + q - 1)
and since q = 1, this is
(p - 1) / (p + 1)

Hi,

your partial results are not only correct, but also very close to the general form of the solution :approve:

I don't know if anybody is interested in the solution. I did it the hard way, and once I had found the solution I realized there must be a simpler explanation. After browsing the web I finally found that indeed the problem is well known as the "Ballot problem" and even has generalized versions. There is a geometrical proof, direct solution using so-called "Andre's reflection principle", and more.

This is not a spoiler, this is more than a spoiler. The following link contains it, pretty much all :
The Ballot Problem

1. What is the purpose of having another political discussion?

The purpose of having another political discussion is to exchange ideas, perspectives, and information about current political issues and policies. It allows individuals to engage in critical thinking, gain a better understanding of different viewpoints, and potentially find common ground.

2. How can I ensure a productive and respectful political discussion?

To ensure a productive and respectful political discussion, it is important to listen actively, avoid personal attacks, and stay open-minded. It is also helpful to fact-check information and use respectful language.

3. What are some tips for facilitating a successful political discussion?

Some tips for facilitating a successful political discussion include setting ground rules, providing equal opportunities for all participants to speak, and encouraging respectful disagreement. It is also important to have a clear agenda and stick to it.

4. How can I handle a disagreement during a political discussion?

Handling a disagreement during a political discussion can be challenging, but it is important to stay calm, listen to the other person's perspective, and try to find common ground. It is also helpful to use evidence and logical reasoning to support your argument.

5. What is the role of fact-checking in a political discussion?

Fact-checking plays a crucial role in a political discussion as it helps ensure that accurate information is being presented. It also helps prevent the spread of misinformation and allows for a more informed and productive discussion.