Force, distance, and a constant

In summary: F_2.In summary, a woman pulls on a stiff spring with a force of 111 N, causing it to stretch 7.2 cm. She then pulls harder, causing it to stretch 17 cm. An equation can be written as F=K*x to relate the force, F, with which the spring is pulled, the distance the spring is pulled, x, and the spring constant, K. The spring constant in this case is approximately 0.06. To stretch the spring 17 cm, a force of approximately 280 N would be necessary.
Jdpaul88

Homework Statement

As an exercise, a woman pulls on both sides of a stiff spring to work on her chest muscles. The spring stretches 7.2 cm when she pulls on it with a force of 111 N. She then makes a greater effort and stretches the spring 17 cm.

a. Write an equation relating the force, F, with which the spring is pulled, the distance the spring is pulled, x, and the spring constant K.

b. What is the spring constant in this case?

c. What force would be necessary to stretch the spring 17 cm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the equation, I came up with x=Fk. Now to find the constant, I took x/F=K. I got 0.06486 and just rounded to 0.06 for the sake of significant figures. After that, I took x/k=F to get the force used to stretch it 17 cm. 17/0.06=280 N. Does this sound correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jdpaul88 said:

Homework Statement

As an exercise, a woman pulls on both sides of a stiff spring to work on her chest muscles. The spring stretches 7.2 cm when she pulls on it with a force of 111 N. She then makes a greater effort and stretches the spring 17 cm.

a. Write an equation relating the force, F, with which the spring is pulled, the distance the spring is pulled, x, and the spring constant K.

b. What is the spring constant in this case?

c. What force would be necessary to stretch the spring 17 cm?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the equation, I came up with x=Fk. Now to find the constant, I took x/F=K. I got 0.06486 and just rounded to 0.06 for the sake of significant figures. After that, I took x/k=F to get the force used to stretch it 17 cm. 17/0.06=280 N. Does this sound correct?

I think your equation is a little non traditional. Generally F would be expressed as x times a constant as in F= K*x. So long as you recognize that the K of this formula is 1/k in your formula that you used I think you are OK.

You could also avoid the issue of significant digits by observing that if k is constant that

[tex]\frac{x_1}{F_1} = \frac{x_2}{F_2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{7.2}{111} = \frac{17}{F_2}[/tex]

Your approach to solving this problem is correct. The equation relating force, distance, and the spring constant is F = Kx, where F is the force applied, x is the distance the spring is stretched, and K is the spring constant. In this case, the spring constant is equal to 0.06, as you correctly calculated. This means that for every 1 cm the spring is stretched, a force of 0.06 N is applied. Therefore, to stretch the spring 17 cm, a force of 17 x 0.06 = 1.02 N is necessary. Overall, your solution is correct.

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the push or pull on an object. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. What is distance?

Distance is the amount of space between two points. It is typically measured in units of meters (m).

3. What is a constant?

A constant is a fixed value that does not change. In physics, a constant is often used to represent a factor that remains the same in an equation or relationship.

4. How are force, distance, and a constant related?

Force, distance, and a constant are related through the equation F = kx, where F is force, k is the constant, and x is the distance. This equation represents Hooke's Law, which describes the relationship between force and the displacement of an object connected to a spring.

5. How does changing the distance affect the force in a constant relationship?

In a constant relationship, changing the distance will directly affect the force. This means that as the distance increases, the force will also increase proportionally. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force will also decrease proportionally.