Photons emitted from a light bulb problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing how many photons per second would enter an aperture located 6m away from a 100 W incandescent light bulb, assuming the emitted light has an average wavelength of 530 nm and is radiated uniformly in all directions. The solution involves calculating the energy of the photons and using the ratio of power to surface area to determine the number of photons per second, with the correct answer being 2.653970093 x 1013 photons per second. There was initially some confusion surrounding the use of the surface area formula for a sphere.
fishh

Homework Statement

A 100 W incandescent light bulb converts approximately 2.5% of the electrical energy supplied to it into visible light. Assume that the average wavelength of the emitted light is λ = 530 nm, and that the light is radiated uniformily in all directions. How many photons per second, N, would enter an aperture of area A = 3 cm2 located a distance D = 6 m from the light bulb?

https://online-s.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys214/fall08/homework/03/photons/05.05.gif

Homework Equations

Energy of photon = h x c / lambda (wavelength)
Power = change in energy / change in time
Surface area of sphere = 4πr

The Attempt at a Solution

I basically used the formula above to calculate the energy of the photons being emitted:

E = 1240 eV nm / 530 nm = 2.3396 eVm

The total power emitted by the light bulb should be 2.5% of what is put in - 2.5 watts. I know that if I have a sphere of radius 6m, the surface should "pick up" all of the power emitted. Therefore, I can set up a ratio of W/m2 : 2.5 / (4π x 6) W/m2 (not sure if this is a valid reasoning, because the aperture is not necessarily curved). Since the element(aperture) I am looking at is 3 cm2 :

Power through element = 2.5 / (4π x 6) x 0.0003m2 = 9.947183943 x 10-6 W

This power should be equal to the number of photons per second (n) multiplied by the energy of one photon, simply because both quantities represent the energy per second.

9.947183943 x 10-6 W = n x (2.3396 eV x 1.602 x 10-19 J / eV)

n = 2.653970093 x 1013 photons per second

When I enter this answer (the homework is online), it is wrong. I'm pretty sure the problem lies with how I found the power through the aperture; I'm not sure what is wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The fraction of light that enters the aperture is the area of the hole 3cm^2/the area of the sphere (2*pi*600*600) be careful to tuse the same units for radius and area.

Surface area of a sphere is 4*Pi*r^2 not 4*Pi*r. I am in the same physics class at UIUC as you and i was able to get the correct solution with this method.

Thanks, I got the right answer using 4 pi r^2. I guess I should review my geometry...

Likes fullofentropy

1. What is the source of light emitted from a light bulb?

The source of light emitted from a light bulb is a tungsten filament that is heated up by an electric current. As the filament heats up, it produces light and emits photons.

2. How do photons travel from the light bulb to our eyes?

Photons travel in a straight line from the light bulb to our eyes. When the light bulb is turned on, photons are released in all directions. Some of these photons enter our eyes and are detected by our retinas, allowing us to see the light.

3. How fast do photons emitted from a light bulb travel?

Photons travel at the speed of light, which is approximately 186,282 miles per second. This means that photons emitted from a light bulb will reach our eyes almost instantly, as they have a very short distance to travel.

4. How does the color of the light emitted from a light bulb affect the amount of photons?

The color of light emitted from a light bulb is determined by the amount of energy the photons possess. The higher the energy, the bluer the light will appear. Similarly, the lower the energy, the redder the light will appear. Therefore, the color of light does not affect the number of photons emitted, but rather the energy of each individual photon.

5. Do photons emitted from a light bulb ever stop traveling?

No, photons do not stop traveling unless they are absorbed by another object. In a vacuum, photons will continue to travel at the speed of light until they are absorbed by something, reflected, or eventually reach the end of the universe.