Getting Equations Into a Post - A PF Guide

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Old Guy
  • Start date
In summary: FPLatex.tdl" is in the "Translators" directory under "MathType 6" on your computer. If not, copy it from there and then try again.If you don't have a "sigma" button on your message editor, then you can create a new translator file by following these steps:1. Go to "MathType 6" on your computer2. Open the "Translators" directory3. Create a new file called "FPLatex.tdl"4. Edit the "eqn = " line to look like this:eqn = "<StdStartCmt><Eq
Old Guy
Can somebody please explain to me how to get equations into a post? I've read a lot about a sigma symbol that opens some kind of latex thing, but I've not seen the sigma anywhere. I actually use Mathtype a lot (in Word) and it has the capability to translate to various flavors of latex - I'd really prefer to do it in Mathtype and paste it into a post, but if I need to learn another way I'm willing to do so - PF is great! Thanks for help on this - I really did search around before posting this.

Physics news on Phys.org
The LaTeX editor is the sigma symbol next to the TV (youtube) icon in the post editor.

Old Guy said:
I actually use Mathtype a lot (in Word) and it has the capability to translate to various flavors of latex - I'd really prefer to do it in Mathtype and paste it into a post,

Set your MathType preferences to export to LaTeX 2.09, and turn off "Include MathType data in translation." Then when you copy from MathType and paste into the PF message-editing window, you should get LaTeX code. I got "\[" before and "\]" after the equation; if you get them, too, delete them. Insert a [ tex ] tag before and a [ /tex ] tag after the equation (remove the spaces inside the brackets... I had to put them there so PF wouldn't interpret them as tags). That's how I did the equation below.

[tex]
\sqrt {a^2 + b^2 }
[/tex]

For most equations it's quicker for me to type the LaTeX by hand, but for complicated stuff I sometimes use MathType instead.

jtbell said:
Set your MathType preferences to export to LaTeX 2.09, and turn off "Include MathType data in translation." Then when you copy from MathType and paste into the PF message-editing window, you should get LaTeX code. I got "\[" before and "\]" after the equation; if you get them, too, delete them. Insert a [ tex ] tag before and a [ /tex ] tag after the equation ...

You can avoid having to replace the delimiters (the [ tex ] for "\[" , [ /tex ] for "\]") by hand each time if you create your own MathType translator file.

For that you would have to:
  1. Copy the file "LaTeX.tdl" from MathType's translators directory (in Windows, it is "C:\Program Files\MathType\Translators" by default). Let's say you call this copy "FPLatex.tdl"
  2. Edit this new FPLatex.tdl translator file, and in the line that starts with "eqn = " replace "\["with "[tex]"and "\]" with "[ /tex ]" (take out the spaces after and before the brackets.)
    It should look like this:
    eqn = "<StdStartCmt><EqnDataCmt>[ tex ]@n#@n[ /tex ]@n<StdEndCmt>";
    (again, without the spaces inside the square brackets)
  3. Select this translator instead of the LaTeX one for export in MathType.

After doing the above (and you only need to do it once) when you copy an equation from MathType it will be ready for pasting in the forum message.

Thanks for the tip! Under Mac OS X, the *.tdl files are in Applications --> MathType 6 --> Translators. (or "MathType 5" or maybe something else depending on which version you're using)

To get the new tdl file to appear as a new item in the Preferences --> Translators menu, you have to edit the first line of the new tdl file so it contains a unique description. I now have a PFLaTeX.tdl file that starts with

MathType Output Translator 1.0: "PF LaTeX", "LaTeX for Physics Forums"

It appears in my Translators menu as "PF LaTeX".

[tex]
- \frac{{\hbar ^2 }}{{2m}}\nabla ^2 \Psi + V\Psi = i\hbar \frac{{\partial \Psi }}{{\partial t}}
[/tex]

If you're using the "Quick Reply" box to make a post, you'll need to click the "Go Advanced" button to see the special editing symbols. The Σ symbol appears on the far right end of all the symbols.

There's also a limited number of math symbols that you can copy-and-paste into posts:
https://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?b=347

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm back at this again. I've tried EduardoT's suggestion, I've checked the code carefully, I don't get any error messages on the translations, but this is what I get:
$\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } $
which should be coming out as:
[tex]\sqrt {x^2 + y^2} [/tex]
Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Also, I don't have a sigma button on my message editor; I've attached a screenshot. Ayn help would be appreciated!

Old Guy said:
Also, I don't have a sigma button on my message editor; I've attached a screenshot. Ayn help would be appreciated!

only displayed in the technical forums

Ahh . . . thanks Greg. That explains one issue!

Old Guy said:
[..] this is what I get:
$\sqrt {x^2 + y^2 } $
which should be coming out as:
[ tex ]\sqrt {x^2 + y^2} [ /tex ]
Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Check that the new translator you created has them in the rule for eqn, and make sure that you have this new translator selected when copying the equation in MathType.

One thing I neglected, that jtbell metioned afterwards, is that you also want to modify the first line of the translator file, to read something like
MathType Output Translator 1.0: "PF LaTeX", "LaTeX for Physics Forums"
so that it shows in the translators pull down list as "PF LaTeX".

To select a translator in MathType, go to Preferences -> Translators... menu, check "Translation to other language", select the translator from the drop-down list, and click OK.

1. How do I write equations in a post?

To write equations in a post, you can use a variety of tools such as LaTeX, MathML, or HTML. These tools allow you to input mathematical symbols and operators to create equations. You can also use a specialized equation editor program or website to generate the code for the equation and then paste it into your post.

2. Can I use equations in any type of post?

Yes, you can use equations in any type of post as long as the website or platform supports the use of mathematical equations. Some websites may have a specific formatting or input method for equations, so be sure to check the platform's guidelines before including equations in your post.

3. Do I need to have a background in math to use equations in a post?

While having a background in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to use equations in a post. You can use equation generators or templates to create equations without any prior knowledge of math. However, it is important to make sure your equations are accurate and relevant to the topic of your post.

4. How can I format equations to make them more visually appealing?

To make equations more visually appealing, you can use formatting options such as superscripts, subscripts, and special characters. You can also use different font styles, sizes, and colors to make certain elements stand out. Additionally, you can include diagrams or graphs to further illustrate your equations.

5. Is there a limit to the number of equations I can include in a post?

This will depend on the website or platform you are using to create your post. Some websites may have a character or word limit, which can affect the number of equations you can include. It is always best to check the platform's guidelines or contact the website's support team for any specific limitations on the use of equations.