Which Stainless Steel for Furnace Application?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a suitable type of stainless steel for a threaded bar with a smooth domed head that is used in a furnace application for shaping glass. The original supplier in Turkey is having difficulty sourcing 330 stainless steel and is considering using 310 stainless steel as an alternative. Suggestions are made to look into 1.4841 grade stainless steel from a German company or contacting New England Small Tube or Supplier Online for potential options.
Logger
Hello there,

I have a supplier in Turkey making a part for me,which is a small threaded bar(30mm) with a smooth domed head(kinda like a bullet with threads up the side).I was hoping to use 330 stainless steel which is what the part is currently made from.Our supplier is finding it hard to source(in Turkey) 330ss and 310ss which I was told is a good alternative.

The application of this screw is in a furnace.A sheet of glass is hung from these screws at various points around the glass,this glass on the screws are then lowered into a furnace until the glass becomes softened where it is then removed and moves along to the next stage where the softened glass is shaped.I think the furnace operates around the 1000 deg celcius scale.

Can anybody recommend a type of stainless steel that might be suitable for my application or does anybody know where I could source 330ss or 310(somebody told me this was a possible alternative to 330ss) for our manufacturer in Turkey.

NAy thoughts or ideas would be highly regarded.

Thanks.

Dave.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Thank you so much NABA for the reply.Our supplier in Turkey has contacted them and are awaiting a quote back.

Much appreciated.

Me.

1. What is the best type of stainless steel for furnace applications?

The best type of stainless steel for furnace applications is typically grade 310 or 330, also known as heat-resistant or high-temperature stainless steel. These grades have high levels of chromium and nickel, which provide excellent resistance to heat, oxidation, and corrosion.

2. How does the composition of stainless steel affect its performance in a furnace?

The composition of stainless steel plays a crucial role in its performance in a furnace. The higher the levels of chromium and nickel, the better the steel's resistance to heat, corrosion, and oxidation. Additionally, the presence of other elements like molybdenum and titanium can further enhance the steel's properties.

3. Can any grade of stainless steel be used for furnace applications?

No, not all grades of stainless steel are suitable for furnace applications. Low-grade stainless steels like 304 or 316 may not have the necessary heat-resistant properties and can easily deform or corrode at high temperatures. It is essential to choose a grade specifically designed for high-temperature environments.

4. Is there a limit to the temperature that stainless steel can withstand in a furnace?

Yes, there is a limit to the temperature that stainless steel can withstand in a furnace. The exact temperature depends on the grade of stainless steel, but typically, it ranges from 900-1300°C (1650-2370°F). Anything above this temperature can cause the steel to lose its strength and become susceptible to deformation and corrosion.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing stainless steel for furnace applications?

Yes, there are a few other factors to consider when choosing stainless steel for furnace applications. These include the type of furnace, the duration of exposure to high temperatures, and the presence of any corrosive elements in the furnace's atmosphere. It is essential to consult with a metallurgist or materials engineer to determine the best steel grade for a specific furnace application.