Calc ΔH of Formation CO2 in Fe2O3 + 3C --> 4Fe + 3CO2 Reaction

• Thread starter curtbranford
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is about finding the ΔH of formation of CO2 (g) at 298 K for a given reaction. The correct answer is -114 kJ/mol, but the person is having trouble getting to that answer. They have attempted to use the equations ΔGo = -RT lnK and ΔGo = ΔHo -TΔSo, but their calculations are incorrect. They have also mentioned that the reaction may not be balanced.
curtbranford
Hi. It's my first time posting here. I did a quick search, but I couldn't find any existing threads addressing my question, so here it is:

Fe2O3 (s) + 3 C (gr) --> 4 Fe (s) + 3 CO2 (g)

What is the ΔH of formation of CO2 (g) at 298 K if the following is true of the above reaction at 298 K:
  • Keq = 5.80 x 10-53
  • ΔSorxn = 0.522 kJ/K
  • ΔHoformation of Fe2O3 (s) = -795 kJ/mol

I know that the correct answer is -114 kJ/mol, but I can't figure out how to get there. Here's what I've done so far:

ΔGo = -RT lnK
=-298kJ

ΔGo = ΔHo -TΔSo
ΔHo = -298kJ + (298K)(.522kJ/K)
= -142.44 kJ

-142.44kJ = 3ΔH (CO2) - 795 kJ
3ΔH (CO2) = 652.5 kJ
ΔH (CO2) = 217.5 kJ

Which obviously isn't the right answer, but I don't see where I went wrong. Anybody see what I don't?

Physics news on Phys.org
curtbranford said:
Hi. It's my first time posting here. I did a quick search, but I couldn't find any existing threads addressing my question, so here it is:

What is the ΔH of formation of CO2 (g) at 298 K if the following is true of the above reaction at 298 K:
  • Keq = 5.80 x 10-53
  • ΔSorxn = 0.522 kJ/K
  • ΔHoformation of Fe2O3 (s) = -795 kJ/mol

I know that the correct answer is -114 kJ/mol, but I can't figure out how to get there. Here's what I've done so far:

ΔGo = -RT lnK
=-298kJ

ΔGo = ΔHo -TΔSo
ΔHo = -298kJ + (298K)(.522kJ/K)
= -142.44 kJ

-142.44kJ = 3ΔH (CO2) - 795 kJ
3ΔH (CO2) = 652.5 kJ
ΔH (CO2) = 217.5 kJ

Which obviously isn't the right answer, but I don't see where I went wrong. Anybody see what I don't?

The reaction is not balanced , and next your last portion of work is wrong.

Hello,

Thank you for your question. I will try my best to explain the correct approach to solving this problem.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the ΔH of formation of a compound is the enthalpy change when 1 mole of that compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states at 298 K and 1 atm pressure.

In this case, we are looking for the ΔH of formation of CO2. So we need to calculate the enthalpy change when 1 mole of CO2 is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states.

The reaction given is:

We can write the reaction as:

CO2 (g) + 3/4 Fe (s) --> 1/4 Fe2O3 (s) + 3/4 C (gr)

Now, we can use Hess's Law to calculate the ΔH of formation of CO2. Hess's Law states that the overall enthalpy change of a reaction is independent of the pathway taken to reach the final state, as long as the initial and final states are the same.

We can break down the given reaction into two steps:

Step 1: CO2 (g) + 3/4 Fe (s) --> Fe2O3 (s) + 3/4 C (gr)

Step 2: Fe2O3 (s) + 3/4 C (gr) --> 4 Fe (s) + 3 CO2 (g)

Now, we can use the known values of ΔH of formation of Fe2O3 and ΔH of formation of CO2 to calculate the ΔH of formation of CO2 in this reaction.

Step 1:

CO2 (g) + 3/4 Fe (s) --> Fe2O3 (s) + 3/4 C (gr)

ΔH1 = ΔHof (Fe2O3) + 3/4 ΔHof (C) - ΔHof (CO2)

= -795 kJ/mol + 3/4 (0 kJ/mol) - 0 kJ/mol

= -795 kJ/mol

Step 2:

Fe2O3 (s) + 3/4 C (gr) --> 4 Fe (s) +

1. What is the definition of ΔH of formation?

The ΔH of formation is the change in enthalpy that occurs when one mole of a compound is formed from its constituent elements in their standard states at a given temperature and pressure.

2. How is the ΔH of formation calculated for a reaction?

The ΔH of formation for a reaction can be calculated by taking the difference between the sum of the ΔH of formation of the products and the sum of the ΔH of formation of the reactants.

3. Why is the ΔH of formation important in chemistry?

The ΔH of formation is important because it is a measure of the stability of a compound. It can also be used to determine the energy released or absorbed during a reaction and to calculate the heat of reaction.

4. What is the ΔH of formation for the CO2 in the Fe2O3 + 3C --> 4Fe + 3CO2 reaction?

The ΔH of formation for CO2 in this reaction is -393.5 kJ/mol. This means that for every mole of CO2 formed, 393.5 kJ of energy is released.

5. How does the presence of Fe2O3 and 3C affect the ΔH of formation for CO2 in this reaction?

The presence of Fe2O3 and 3C in the reaction affects the ΔH of formation for CO2 by providing the necessary energy and reactants for the formation of CO2. Without these reactants, CO2 cannot be formed and the ΔH of formation would be different.