Rotating a circle around its x-axis

In summary, the angle of the circle in a 3D space is not the same as the angle of the ellipse projected to a 2D space. To calculate the new angle T', you need to know x' and y' as functions of x and y, which are functions of the radial distance and T.
kalisky
Hi,

Let's say I have a flat circle on the x-y axes, and I am looking at it from along the z-axis.
now let's say I rotate it along the x-axis by A(alpha) degrees, and take a 2D picture, I would receive an ellipse, right?
now let's say I would like to have a function from an angle T(theta), which gives me a point on the original flat circle, to an angle G(gama), which gives me a point on the projected ellipse.

Anyone?

Physics news on Phys.org
kalisky said:
Hi,

Let's say I have a flat circle on the x-y axes, and I am looking at it from along the z-axis.
now let's say I rotate it along the x-axis by A(alpha) degrees, and take a 2D picture, I would receive an ellipse, right?
now let's say I would like to have a function from an angle T(theta), which gives me a point on the original flat circle, to an angle G(gama), which gives me a point on the projected ellipse.

Anyone?
So you have a circle in a xy-plane tilted an angle T about the x-axis? Yes, its projection onto the xy-plane is an ellipse.

Draw a picture: a coordinate system with the y-axis horizontal, the z- axis vertical and the x-axis coming out of the page at you Draw a line through the origin of the yz-plane at angle T to the y-axis. Dropping a perpendicular from that line (representing the tilted y-axis) to the original y-axis gives you a right triangle with angle T. The near side is clearly the projected y-coordinate in the xy-plane and the hypotenuse is the old "y" value (call it y') then "cos(T)= (near side)/(hypotenuse)"= y/y' so y= y'cos(T). Because there is no "tilt" along the x-direction, x= x'.

The circle, in the tilted xy-plane, now called x',y', is x'2+ y'2= R2. Since x= x and y'= y/cos(T), projeced down to the xy-plane, that becomes
x2+ y'2/(cos2(T)= R2, an ellipse with "half-axis" in the x direction 1/R and "half-axis" length in the y-direction 1/(R cos(T)).

Thanks for your swift response, but I think I didn't explain well what I want...
See attached a circle and a tilted circle (ellipse). in the circle you see 12 equal points on the perimeter. in the ellipse you see the same 12 (drew only 6, lazy me) points. created by the perspective created by the 3D-ness of the rotation around the x-axis.

Note: You need to look at the ellipse drawing as a 2D projection of the 3D view. the top point, where all lines meet is the horizon in a 3D perspective view. the lines that meet there are parallel lines in the 3D world, and they cut the circle in the same points as the ones in the circle drawing.

My question is, how do I calculate T' from T?

Attachments

• circle.JPG
    circle.JPG
    10 KB · Views: 718
  • ellipse.JPG
    ellipse.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 742
Nobody? I drew a diagram! come on! ;-)

T' the new angle (in the ellipse frame), relates to x' and y' (the x and y coordinates to the ellipse)... and if you know x' and y' as functions of x and y, which are functions of a radial distance and T (the original polar angle), you really just have to hack through some algebra and trig functions to get T' as a function of T -- substitutions if you aren't elegant and notice tricks. And, like HallsofIvy notes, it might be nicest to keep things where you reference the angle to one coordinate-axis, like x (as HallofIvy chose), that is not compressed by the projection process... that might let you eliminate the radial distance. That would probably make what you wish algebraically cleaner to perform. (edited to add: Note, check limits... with high enough tilt, the circle becomes a line, so your angle, depending on how you reference it, probably should become either 90 degrees or 0.)

Last edited:
After exactly two months (!) I returned to this thread, and suddenly realized why I didn't fully understand what the answers were trying to tell me.

The thing is, the X axis isn't the same before and after the tilt.

The desired result is a "perspective" diagram, and not an "isometric" diagram. for example, take a look at my drawing in the previous post, you'll see that the left most and right most points of the circle, aren't the left most and right most points of the ellipse...

maybe an easier way to look at this problem is, that the axis of tilt isn't the X axis, but a horizontal line touching the lowest point of the circle.

any help?

1. What does it mean to rotate a circle around its x-axis?

Rotating a circle around its x-axis means to move the circle in a circular motion, keeping one end of the circle fixed on the x-axis while the other end rotates around it.

2. How is the rotation of a circle around its x-axis measured?

The rotation of a circle around its x-axis is measured in degrees, with 360 degrees representing one full rotation.

3. What are the applications of rotating a circle around its x-axis?

Rotating a circle around its x-axis has several applications in mathematics, engineering, and physics. It can be used to create 3D objects, such as cylinders and cones, and is also used in calculating the volume and surface area of these objects.

4. What is the difference between rotating a circle around its x-axis and its y-axis?

The main difference is the axis of rotation. When rotating a circle around its x-axis, the circle is moving in a circular motion parallel to the x-axis. When rotating around its y-axis, the circle moves in a circular motion parallel to the y-axis.

5. Can a circle be rotated around any other axis?

Yes, a circle can be rotated around any axis. However, the resulting shape will be different depending on the axis of rotation. When rotating around the x or y-axis, the resulting shape will be a cylinder or cone, respectively. When rotating around any other axis, the resulting shape will be a 3D object known as a torus.