Two forces at 45 pull an object distance of 14. What is work by both forces?

In summary, the work done by the two forces together in moving an object a distance of 14 m is 69.30 J. The magnitude of each force is 7 N, and the force components in the direction of motion were found by taking the square root of 7^2 + 7^2 and then multiplying by 7. There may be a calculation error as the distance may be incorrectly given as 14 m.
evan b
What is the work done by the two forces together in moving an object a distance of d = 14 m as shown in the diagram? The magnitude of each force is 7 N.

Attachments

• prob39.gif
    prob39.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 663
Physics news on Phys.org
evan b said:
What is the work done by the two forces together in moving an object a distance of d = 14 m as shown in the diagram? The magnitude of each force is 7 N.

Separate the forces into components. What you are interested in are the force components in the direction that the block is actually moved.

W = f * d.

ya, so i found force by sqrt of 7^2 + 7^2. then i multiplied it by 7 and go 69.30 J. What am i doing wrong?

evan b said:
ya, so i found force by sqrt of 7^2 + 7^2. then i multiplied it by 7 and go 69.30 J. What am i doing wrong?

Isn't the distance it's moved 14?
(The sqrt of 98 looks ok for the force in the direction of motion.)

What is work?

Work is the transfer of energy from one system to another. In physics, it is defined as the product of force and displacement, where the force is applied in the direction of the displacement.

What are forces?

Forces are interactions that cause a change in the motion or shape of an object. They can be either contact forces, such as pushing or pulling, or non-contact forces, such as gravity or magnetism.

How do you calculate work?

Work can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance the object moves in the same direction as the force. In other words, work = force x distance.

What is the unit of work?

The unit of work is the joule (J), which is defined as the amount of work done when a force of 1 newton is applied to an object and moves it a distance of 1 meter in the direction of the force.

How do you calculate work when two forces are involved?

When two forces are involved, the work done by each force can be calculated separately and then added together to find the total work done. In the case of two forces at 45 degrees pulling an object a distance of 14, the work done by each force can be calculated using the formula work = force x distance x cosine(theta), where theta is the angle between the force and the displacement.