Langrange multipliers - check my soluton please

• Thread starter dopey9
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the minimum value of (x^t)x while satisfying the constraint (v^t)x = k, using Lagrange multipliers. The solution involves setting L(x,lambda) = (x^t)x + lambda*(k - (v^t)x) and differentiating it to find the minimum value in terms of v. It is then confirmed as the minimum using the second derivative test.
dopey9
i need find an expression in terms of v for the minimum value of (x^t)x subject to the constraint (v^t)x = k

v is a fixed vector in R^n
k is a real constant

I need to use langrange multitpliers to solve this.

My solution

I let L(x,lambda) = (x^t)x + lambda*(k - (v^t)x)
so therefore grad L = 2x - lambda*v = 0

so i therefore let x = 1/2*lambda*v and put this into the constraint to get

(v^t)*1/2*v*lambda = k
so 1/2*lamda*(v^t)*v = k in terms of v

To verify this is the min, i differentiated grad L again to get 2 >0 so this is convex and hence a global minimizer.

Prohlem

Can some one please check my solution, i was getting whether to differentiate with respect to v as well as it is a vector, but wasnt too sure?.. if some one can give me some advise that would be great thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution looks correct. To verify that it is a minimum, you can also use the second derivative test. Differentiate the gradient again with respect to x and set it equal to 2. If the second derivative is positive, then it is indeed a minimum.

In this case, since the second derivative is a constant (2), it is positive and therefore confirms that your solution is a minimum.

Regarding differentiating with respect to v, since v is a fixed vector, it is treated as a constant in this problem and therefore does not need to be differentiated with respect to.

Overall, your solution and approach using Lagrange multipliers is correct. Well done!

1. What are Langrange multipliers and how are they used?

Langrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to a set of constraints. This method involves creating a new function, called the Lagrangian, which includes the original objective function and the constraints. The Lagrange multipliers are then used to find the critical points of this function, which correspond to the optimal solution of the original problem.

2. When should Langrange multipliers be used?

Langrange multipliers are best used when solving optimization problems with constraints. These constraints can be in the form of equations or inequalities, and they restrict the values that the variables can take. The use of Langrange multipliers allows for a more efficient and systematic approach to finding the optimal solution, as opposed to trial and error.

3. What are the advantages of using Langrange multipliers?

One of the main advantages of using Langrange multipliers is that they provide a systematic and efficient method for solving optimization problems with constraints. This method also allows for the consideration of multiple constraints simultaneously. Additionally, Langrange multipliers can be used for both single-variable and multi-variable problems, making it a versatile tool in optimization.

4. Are there any limitations to using Langrange multipliers?

Like any mathematical tool, Langrange multipliers have their limitations. One limitation is that they are only applicable to optimization problems with smooth and continuous functions. Additionally, the Lagrangian function may become very complex and difficult to solve for some problems, making the method less practical.

5. Can Langrange multipliers be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, Langrange multipliers can be applied to real-world problems in various fields such as economics, engineering, physics, and more. They are commonly used to optimize production processes, minimize costs, and maximize profits. In physics, Langrange multipliers are used to solve problems involving forces and constraints, such as finding the optimal path for a particle moving under the influence of multiple forces.