Is There a Relationship Between Capacitive Reactance and DC Circuits?

In summary, the conversation is about the relationship between capacitive reactance and a DC circuit. It is explained that a capacitor prevents the flow of a DC current, but an alternating current can flow continuously when connected to an alternating source of voltage. Capacitive reactance is the capacitor's opposition to a change in AC voltage, and it is not applicable in a DC circuit. The book "Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics" is recommended for further reading.
TuAst

Homework Statement

Hi

I hope I write in the right thread, if not, my apologies to the moderator. I am not a physisist, but I am very interested in physics and I am doing medical physics right now, and wondered if you guys could help me with something (probably easy for you, but I don't seem to find the answer anywhere);

What is the "relationship" between capacitive reactance and a DC circuit? I mean, is there any at all in a DC circuit. I would really appreciate a "for the idiots" explanation on this if someone has the time.

Thank you very much in advance!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tuast

When a capacitor is connected to a dc source (such as a battery) the capacitor plates quickly acquire equal and opposite charges but no steady current flows in the circuit. A capacitor prevents the flow of a dc current. But if a capacitor is connected to an alternating source of voltage, an alternating current will flow continuously. This can happen because when the ac voltage is first turned on, charge begins to flow and one plate acquires a negative charge and the other a positive charge. But when the voltage reverses itself, the charges flow in the opposite direction. Thus, for an alternating applied voltage, an ac current is present in the circuit continuously (Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics). I think you might be a little confused about capacitive reactance. Capacitive reactance is the capacitors opposition to a change in ac voltage. In a purely capacitive circuit, capacitive reactance is the imiting factor in current flow.

In conclusion, capacitive reactance is a measurement for ac voltage and not dc. If you are interested in physics i would suggest reading this book.

Physics for Scientists and Engineers with Modern Physics

http://books.google.com/books?id=xz...sts+and+Engineers+with+Modern+Physics#PPP1,M1

The first half of the book is a light read but the second half you will need to know calc.

hope this helps

1. What is DC reactance?

DC reactance refers to the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC) in a circuit. This is typically caused by the presence of resistance, which is measured in ohms.

2. How is DC reactance different from AC reactance?

AC reactance is the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC) in a circuit, which constantly changes direction. Unlike DC, AC reactance can also be caused by the presence of capacitors and inductors.

3. What is capacitive reactance?

Capacitive reactance is the opposition to the flow of AC in a circuit caused by the presence of a capacitor. It is measured in ohms and varies inversely with frequency and directly with the capacitance of the capacitor.

4. How does capacitive reactance affect the flow of current in a circuit?

Capacitive reactance causes the current in a circuit to decrease as the frequency of the AC increases. This is because the capacitor stores and releases energy, creating a phase shift between the voltage and current.

5. Can capacitive reactance be eliminated in a circuit?

Yes, capacitive reactance can be eliminated by adding an inductor in series with the capacitor. This creates an LC circuit, which cancels out the capacitive reactance and allows for a steady flow of current in the circuit.