Ground State Energies of He+ Ion

In summary, the energies of the ground state and the first two excited states of the He+ ion can be found using the formula E_n = -E_o/n^2, where E_o = -13.6 eV for hydrogen. For He+, the ground state energy would be -78.98 eV, and the energies of the first two excited states (n=2 and n=3) can be calculated using this value. The formula for the energy of the ground state for a hydrogen-like atom is given as E_n = -E_o*Z^2, where Z is the charge of the nucleus.
joker314

Homework Statement

What are the energies of the ground state and the first two excited states of the He+ ion?

Homework Equations

En= - Eo/n2

The Attempt at a Solution

n=1 for this problem (since there is only 1 electron) so the ground state would have the electron contained in the 1s subshell. Thus E= -13.6eV(1/12)=-13.6eV

The first excited state has the electron entering the 2s subshell, and the second excited state in the 2p subshell? What I'm getting confused about (assuming my solution for E for the ground state is correct) is that since n=1, the answer won't change depending on what subshell it is in according to how I am approaching the problem. And this I believe is incorrect... Any thoughts, help? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok. Doesn't the energy of the ground state of a one electron atom depend on the charge of the nucleus? -13.6eV is the ground state energy for hydrogen. The general formula depends on Z^2 where Z is the charge of the nucleus. Look it up!

Ok I see where the textbook was getting the -13.6 eV from now, I was looking at the section on the Hydrogen atom since I knew I needed to be dealing with one electron atoms. According to the textbook it is -78.98 eV. So then is the energy in the two excited states goin to be this value squared?

The two excited states are n=2 and n=3 for Z=2 nucleus. There is also a 1/n^2 in the formula you are looking for.

I understand now how to find the energies of the first two excited states by using the ground state energy. I do not however understand how to get the ground state energy without looking it up. What formula would I use?

joker314 said:
I understand now how to find the energies of the first two excited states by using the ground state energy. I do not however understand how to get the ground state energy without looking it up. What formula would I use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen-like_atom Skip down to the formula for E_n. The ground state is the energy for hydrogen times Z^2.

1. What is the ground state energy of a He+ ion?

The ground state energy of a He+ ion is -54.4 eV.

2. How is the ground state energy of a He+ ion calculated?

The ground state energy of a He+ ion is calculated using the Rydberg formula, which takes into account the charge of the nucleus, the mass of the electron, and the reduced mass of the system.

3. How does the ground state energy of a He+ ion compare to that of a hydrogen atom?

The ground state energy of a He+ ion is four times greater than that of a hydrogen atom due to the increased nuclear charge of helium.

4. Can the ground state energy of a He+ ion be changed?

Yes, the ground state energy of a He+ ion can be changed by applying an external electric or magnetic field, which can alter the energy levels of the ion.

5. What is the significance of the ground state energy of a He+ ion in chemistry?

The ground state energy of a He+ ion is important in understanding the chemical bonding and reactivity of helium and other elements. It also plays a role in the formation of molecules and chemical reactions that involve helium ions.