What Factors Do Employers Consider When Hiring Candidates?

• Thread starter thE3nigma
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of GPAs for MSc. and PhD. graduates when seeking employment and whether employers consider undergraduate or graduate GPAs. It also touches on the potential salary for MSc. graduates and the difference in job opportunities between an MSc. and a PhD. The conversation concludes with the idea that companies may not hire someone if they are overqualified for the job, but this may be less common in the current economy.
thE3nigma
Hi,

I have been wondering about something recently. If a student finished his MSc. or PhD., would employers be interested in his past GPA's? Ex., a PhD. - would employers look at his undergrad or MSc. GPA's? Or an MSc. student who just graduated and is looking for employment would they consider his/her undergrad GPA?

Although I think I know what the answer might be, I wanted to get some answers from people who already have some experience with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the employer.
Typically a large company with an HR dept will have a formula - especially for graduate recruitment/entry level positions. Sometimes these are stupid and will reject a candidate with a PhD because they are aimed at new or about-to-graduate final year students and so only take into account marks upto the degree.
Otherwise in a small company or where you are being considered by your peers the ugrad GPA will probably be ignored, where you went and your final class position/degree class would be a factor - but I would mainly be interested in the PhD area and what you had done.

I have also been wondering, if a person finishes with an MSc. and looks to employment in a company, what is the usual salary that a person starts of with? I know it depends on the job as well, but my interests lie somewhere in Biochemistry or Biotechnology. Also would an MSc. ever be able to help me reach a position similar to a PhD. at the company after some years of experience (and how many), or would it be better off getting a PhD. at school and then looking to employment?

Thanks.

I think the questions are way too general for anyone to really give you the kind of feedback you're looking for.

A Ph.D. gives you more experience in doing research. In some companies this can put you on a separate payscale, but in all the others all they're looking for is a specific skill set which you either have or you don't.

Right. I was wondering since you mentioned that some companies look for certain skills that you have or do not. Is it true that companies may not higher someone because they might be over qualified for the job? Or is this generally in the field of science not something that is often seen.

thE3nigma said:
Right. I was wondering since you mentioned that some companies look for certain skills that you have or do not. Is it true that companies may not higher someone because they might be over qualified for the job?

Yes, this happens frequently. Although you will probably see this a lot less now given the current state of the economy.

1. What factors do employers consider when hiring?

Employers typically consider a combination of qualifications, skills, experience, and personality when hiring. This includes a candidate's education, relevant work experience, technical skills, soft skills, and cultural fit.

2. How important is a candidate's education to employers?

Education is an important factor for many employers, as it demonstrates a candidate's ability to learn and apply knowledge. However, it may not be the most important factor, as employers also value practical experience and skills that can be gained outside of formal education.

3. Do employers look at a candidate's online presence?

Yes, employers often look at a candidate's online presence, such as their social media profiles and professional networking sites like LinkedIn. This can give them a better understanding of a candidate's personality, interests, and professional network.

4. How much do employers value relevant work experience?

Relevant work experience is highly valued by employers, as it demonstrates a candidate's ability to apply their skills and knowledge in a real-world setting. It also shows that a candidate has a proven track record of success in a similar role or industry.

5. Is cultural fit important to employers?

Yes, cultural fit is an important consideration for employers when hiring. Employers want to ensure that a candidate's values, work ethic, and communication style align with the company's culture. This can contribute to a positive work environment and improve job satisfaction for both the employee and employer.