Cauchy Sequence Proof: How Does e/2 Appear in the Proof?

In summary, the proof in the book shows that if a_n and a_m are in (A - e/2, A + e/2), then a_n - a_m < e.
lion0001

Homework Statement

Every convergent sequence is a cauchy sequence

Homework Equations

Proof: Suppose {a_n} converges to A, choose e > 0 , then e/2 > 0

there is a positive integer N such that n>=N implies abs[a_n - A ] < e/2

the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e

Now if m , n >= N , then abs[a_n - A ] < e/2 and abs[a_m - A] < e/2 , hence

abs[a_n - a_m ] = abs[ a_n - A + A - a_m ] <= abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ A - a_m ]
= abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ a_m - A ] < e/2 + e/2 = e
thus {a_n} is cauchy

The Attempt at a Solution

the part where i have trouble understanding this proof is , where does the e/2 comes from?
in other words how does e/2 appears in the proof, how can i represent it in the real number graph?
if the answer is this " the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e " i would like to see the arithmetic that produces e/2

Physics news on Phys.org
The sentence "the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e " is false; get rid of it.

In the first sentence, e is fixed.

The convergence of [tex]\{a_n\}[/tex] to A means that for any [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex], there exists an N such that [tex]n \ge N[/tex] implies [tex]|a_n - A| < \varepsilon[/tex].

So we can pick any [tex]\varepsilon[/tex]. In the proof, [tex]\varepsilon = e/2[/tex] is picked. [tex]\varepsilon = e/4[/tex] could have been picked and it would still work. [tex]\varepsilon = 123[/tex] could have been picked and it wouldn't work.

mutton said:
The sentence "the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e " is false; get rid of it.

The convergence of [tex]\{a_n\}[/tex] to A means that for any [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex], there exists an N such that [tex]n \ge N[/tex] implies [tex]|a_n - A| < \varepsilon[/tex].

So we can pick any [tex]\varepsilon[/tex]. In the proof, [tex]\varepsilon = e/2[/tex] is picked. [tex]\varepsilon = e/4[/tex] could have been picked and it would still work. [tex]\varepsilon = 123[/tex] could have been picked and it wouldn't work.

the sentence " the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e " is false; get rid of it. " is not false , look , a_n and a_m are in the set ( A - e , A + e ) , and this is an interval of length 2e , and in the proof the choice of e/2 was not a coincidence it was because ( A +e ) - ( A -e ) = 2e , i don't know if this is right, but it comes straight from my book

In this proof, a_n and a_m are in (A - e/2, A + e/2) because |a_n - A| < e/2 and |a_m - A| < e/2.

The goal was to show that |a_n - a_m| < e, not 2e. See the second last line of the proof.

mutton said:

how can e/4 work ?

could you please give me your version of this cauchy sequence ( explaining the e/2 's or 2e's . My book is confusing me more.

This is what it is in my book, i don't know how it went from saying that the difference is 2e and then using e/2 . The part that confuses me , is why the book outlines (1) to then use it in the proof, it looks that (1) doesn't even matter because since e > 0 then e/2 will do just fine.

(1) Suppose { a_n } converges to A. Choose e > 0, THere is a positive integer N such that, if
n, m >= N , then A - e < a_n < A + e and A - e < a_m < A + e
Thus for all n, m >= N we find a_n ∈ ( A - e , A + e ) and
a_m ∈ ( A - e , A +e ) . the set ( A - e, A +e ) is an interval of length 2e ,
hence the difference between a_n, and a_m is less then 2e

we will now state a theorem , the proof of which we have just outlinedTHEOREM :Every convergent sequence is a cauchy sequence

Proof: Suppose {a_n} converges to A, choose e > 0 , then e/2 > 0

there is a positive integer N such that n>=N implies abs[a_n - A ] < e/2

by (1) the difference between a_n , a_m was less than twice the original choice of e

Now if m , n >= N , then abs[a_n - A ] < e/2 and abs[a_m - A] < e/2 , hence

abs[a_n - a_m ] = abs[ a_n - A + A - a_m ] <= abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ A - a_m ]
= abs[a_n - A ] + abs[ a_m - A ] < e/2 + e/2 = e
thus {a_n} is cauchy

Last edited:
Just replace e/2 in the proof with e/4. Then near the end, e/4 + e/4 = e/2 < e.

mutton said:
Just replace e/2 in the proof with e/4. Then near the end, e/4 + e/4 = e/2 < e.

Wait, in the original cauchy proof, e/2 + e/ 2 is e , but at the end it becomes
e < e ?? isn't this false

| a_n - a_m | < e , we have to satisfy this
with e /2 we reach e < e ??

lion0001 said:
Wait, in the original cauchy proof, e/2 + e/ 2 is e , but at the end it becomes
e < e ?? isn't this false

| a_n - a_m | < e , we have to satisfy this
with e /2 we reach e < e ??

Nowhere is e < e implied. |a_n - a_m| is less than or equal to the sum of two expressions. Each expression is less than e/2, so their sum is less than e.

|a_n - a_m| [tex]\le[/tex] |a_n - A| + |a_m - A| < e/2 + e/2 = e

1. What is a Cauchy sequence?

A Cauchy sequence is a sequence of real numbers that becomes arbitrarily close to each other as the sequence progresses. In other words, for any given small distance, there is a point in the sequence after which all the remaining terms are within that distance of each other.

2. Why is the Cauchy sequence important in mathematics?

The Cauchy sequence is important because it is used to rigorously define the concept of a convergent sequence. This is essential in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and number theory.

3. How is the Cauchy sequence proof used in mathematics?

The Cauchy sequence proof is used to show that a given sequence of real numbers is convergent. It involves using the definition of a Cauchy sequence to prove that the sequence satisfies the criteria for convergence.

4. Can you give an example of a Cauchy sequence?

Yes, the sequence 1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, ... is a Cauchy sequence. As the sequence progresses, the terms become increasingly closer to 0, and for any small distance, there is a point after which all the remaining terms are within that distance of each other.

5. What are some common techniques used in a Cauchy sequence proof?

Some common techniques used in a Cauchy sequence proof include using the definition of a Cauchy sequence, using the triangle inequality, and using the completeness property of the real numbers. Other techniques may also be used depending on the specific problem.