Discover Patterns in Finite Series: Solving for n with 2008 Square Roots"

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find positive integers m and n such that n = sqrt(m+sqrt(m+...sqrt(m)))) and there are 2008 square root signs. However, they were unable to find a solution with 2007 square roots. If there were infinite roots, then it would be a lot easier to do.
arpitm08

Homework Statement

Are there positive integers m and n so that
n = sqrt(m+sqrt(m+sqrt(m+...sqrt(m))))
where there are 2008 square root signs.

2. The attempt at a solution

n^2=m+sqrt(m+sqrt(m+sqrt(m+...sqrt(m))))...with 2007 square roots.
Idk where to go from here. If there were infinite roots, then it would be a lot easier to do.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My first instinct is to get rid of ugly square roots. Square both sides and subtract m 2008 times to get a 2008th degree polynomial in m. You may be able to somehow write this as a binomial.

I don't see where that would get me tho.

((((n^2-m)^2-m)^2-m)^2...-m)^2-m=0

Where do i go from there. Its still as complicated as before.

How about this? If n=sqrt(m+a) with n and m integers, then a is an integer. That tells you that the expression with 2007 square roots is an integer. Etc. Etc. Eventually you get down to sqrt(m+sqrt(m)) is an integer. Is that possible?

I don't think its possible, b/c ur assuming that m and n are integers.

arpitm08 said:
I don't think its possible, b/c ur assuming that m and n are integers.

Can you show it's not possible? You are talking about k=sqrt(m+sqrt(m)), I assume.

So it would become:

((((a^2-m)^2-m)^2-m)^2...-m)^2=m

Are u saying that since a and m are integers, this expression would be an integer too, which would equal m??

No. I'm saying if n=sqrt(m+a) that means 'a' must be an integer. Where 'a' is the expression with 2007 square roots. Then the integer a=sqrt(m+b), where b is the expression with 2006 square roots. b must also be an integer so b=sqrt(m+c) where c is the expression with 2005 square roots. Etc etc. Eventually you get down to z=sqrt(m+sqrt(m)) is an integer. Is THAT possible?

YES! And then would you say that since sqrt(m+a) is an integer, there exists integers that satisfy this equation??

No, again. Because I don't think you can solve that final equation, z=sqrt(m+sqrt(m)) where z and m are integers. Try it.

Thank You Very Much! =)

1. What is a finite series?

A finite series is a mathematical concept that involves adding a sequence of numbers together. It has a starting value, an ending value, and a fixed interval between each number.

2. How do you find the sum of a finite series?

To find the sum of a finite series, you can use the formula: S = (n/2)(a + l), where n is the number of terms, a is the first term, and l is the last term.

3. What is the difference between a finite series and an infinite series?

A finite series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite series has an infinite number of terms. In other words, a finite series has a definite end, while an infinite series does not.

4. What are some real-life applications of finite series?

Finite series can be used in financial calculations, such as calculating compound interest or annuities. They can also be used in physics to represent the motion of an object with a constant acceleration.

5. How can I determine if a series is finite or infinite?

A series is finite if it has a specific number of terms, while it is infinite if it continues indefinitely. You can determine this by looking at the pattern of the series and seeing if it has a clear end point or if it continues on forever.