Leakage resistance in a capacitor

In summary, the question asked for the area and distance between the capacitor plates, and the solution was to use the resistance formula and the capacitance formula to find the resistance.
Dan_tanner

Homework Statement

I am trying to find the relevant equation to to solve the following problem,

RL= leakage resistance measured across the dielectric

A 100pF parallel-plate capacitor has a mica dielectric of relative permittivity [tex]\epsilon[/r]=12 and a resistivity of \rho=10^14\Omega m.

I want to calaculate the leakage resistance of this capacitor.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The previous question wanted to know the area and distance between the plates of the capacitor, i think that this has something to do with the answer to the question,

I have solved this!

I think i have all the relevant information to have an atempt at the answer but don't know and can't find the equation,

I am not sure if Resistance R = rhol/A has anything to do with it because it states resistivity is \rho = 10^14 \Omega m

this has thrown me??

I can't find anything that points me in the right dierction in my books or course work.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're missing a needed formula here which gives you the capacitance of an ideal parallel plate capacitance. Use that and your resistance formula to find R.

Hello Defender,

Thanks for the reply, I am still not sure, i don't really understand what you are on about? I am all mechanical ad never had to do electrical before.

Are you on about C= epsilon r epsilon o * A / d

If so, this is the formula for finding C which is in farads which i have already been given as100pF

You can transpose the formula to to obtain an expression to help you calculate resistance from the other formula.

Dan_tanner said:
Hello Defender,

Thanks for the reply, I am still not sure, i don't really understand what you are on about? I am all mechanical ad never had to do electrical before.

Are you on about C= epsilon r epsilon o * A / d

If so, this is the formula for finding C which is in farads which i have already been given as100pF

Dan,

Did you ever get the formula as I am stuck on asimilar question

1. What is leakage resistance in a capacitor?

Leakage resistance in a capacitor refers to the amount of electrical current that can pass through the dielectric material of the capacitor, causing it to lose its stored charge over time. It is also known as insulation resistance.

2. Why is leakage resistance important in capacitors?

Leakage resistance is important in capacitors because it affects the overall performance and reliability of the capacitor. High leakage resistance can lead to a decrease in capacitance, while low leakage resistance can cause the capacitor to discharge quickly, affecting the circuit's functionality.

3. How is leakage resistance measured in a capacitor?

Leakage resistance is typically measured in ohms (Ω) and is determined by applying a voltage to the capacitor and measuring the current that leaks through the dielectric material. This is usually done using a multimeter or other testing equipment.

4. What factors can affect the leakage resistance in a capacitor?

The leakage resistance in a capacitor can be affected by factors such as the type and quality of the dielectric material, temperature, humidity, and the age of the capacitor. Higher temperatures and humidity levels can increase leakage resistance, while aging of the capacitor can decrease it.

5. How can I reduce leakage resistance in a capacitor?

To reduce leakage resistance in a capacitor, it is important to choose a high-quality capacitor with a reliable dielectric material. Keeping the capacitor at a stable temperature and humidity level can also help reduce leakage resistance. Regular maintenance and replacement of old capacitors can also prevent high leakage resistance.