Compressor exit Temperature.

This equation should give you a good estimate for the outlet temperature. However, it may still require some iterations to converge to a more accurate value. In summary, the best approach for determining the outlet temperature in a compression process is to use the T-dS equations for isentropic flow with constant specific heat.
thearny
Product Compression. I am currently doing some work on compression. I know the flowrate in and the pressure and temperature in, and I know the pressure (and flowrate) out. Can I determine the temperature out?

I have tried using P1V1/T1=P2V2/T2, but as V is a function of T (using values from Perry's) I have ended up in iterative cycle in which the exit T is oscillating increasingly wildly with time.

What is the best approach to these calculations?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The "best" approach definitely depends on the type of compressor and the process being undertaken.

If you want a place to start, you can look at the T-dS equations for isentropic flow with constant specific heat to come up with:

[tex]\frac{p_1}{p_2}=\left[\frac{T_1}{T_2}\right]^{\frac{\gamma}{\gamma-1}}[/tex]

I understand your frustration with the iterative cycle you have encountered in trying to determine the compressor exit temperature. One possible approach to these calculations is to use the ideal gas law, which states that pressure, volume, and temperature are interrelated for an ideal gas. In this case, you can use the equation PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature. By rearranging this equation, you can solve for temperature as T=P*V/(n*R).

Additionally, you may want to consider using the isentropic process for compressors, which assumes that the compression is adiabatic and reversible. This can help you to determine the temperature at the exit based on the inlet conditions and the pressure ratio of the compressor. However, keep in mind that this is an idealized model and may not accurately reflect the actual temperature at the exit.

In any case, I would recommend consulting with a thermodynamics expert or using specialized software to accurately calculate the compressor exit temperature. It is important to have precise and reliable data in scientific work, so it is worth investing the time and resources to ensure accurate calculations. Best of luck with your research.

1. What is compressor exit temperature?

Compressor exit temperature is the temperature of the air or gas leaving the compressor stage in a gas turbine engine or other compressor system.

2. Why is compressor exit temperature important?

Compressor exit temperature is important because it affects the performance and efficiency of the compressor. If the temperature is too high, it can cause damage to the compressor and decrease its efficiency.

3. How is compressor exit temperature measured?

Compressor exit temperature is typically measured using thermocouples, which are small sensors that can accurately measure temperature in high temperature environments. These sensors are placed at the exit of the compressor stage.

4. What factors can affect compressor exit temperature?

The main factors that can affect compressor exit temperature include the inlet air or gas temperature, the compressor's design and operating conditions, and the type of fluid being compressed. Other factors such as compressor blade erosion and fouling can also impact exit temperature.

5. How can compressor exit temperature be controlled?

Compressor exit temperature can be controlled by adjusting the compressor's inlet temperature, adjusting the compressor's operating conditions, and using cooling methods such as intercooling or water injection. Proper maintenance and cleaning of the compressor can also help control exit temperature.